“Oldie but Goodie” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   333 Wonderview Ave, Estes Park, CO 80517   |
Ranked #16 of 30 Hotels in Estes Park
“Oldie but Goodie”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

My family and I recently spent three days at the Stanley and I was very nervous about the accommodations after reading some of the "terrible" review summaries on Tripadvisor. We cautiously rented the two bedroom Condo unit for our stay and we were very pleased. The unit was very clean with a large living room, two large bedrooms , two huge bathrooms , and full kitchen. It was perfect for our family!
The main building ( the Hotel) is indeed old and in some cases shows its age; but this is to be expected in a structure over 100 years old. Yes it creeks, has an old elevator, there is paint spatters on the building's stone base, and the building exterior has been painted dozens of time and it shows. But what do you expect from a building that it is over 100 years old? This hotel is a rare jewel in the age of Motel 6, Vacation Village, and Holiday Inn. Sure, its a little rough around the edges but that is what gives the place character.
The meals we had at the Cascade ( breakfast and dinner) were excellent but the service was slow. I have no idea why it took the staff so long to present the food but is was way to long
of a wait. It seems to me the wait staff needs to be trained in fine dining. The gift shop was well stocked with interesting items and we found the staff very helpful. The large front porch offers a great place to read or have a refreshment and offers wonderful views of the mountains.
In closing we are very excited about returning to the Stanley. This historic hotel is a jewel and should be appreciated as such. I highly recommend the condos for families and the hotel rooms for couples.Perspective is the key word here......this is a historical property that soon will need restoration. It is not a five star Ritz-Carlton.

Room Tip: If you have a family I recommend the condo units at the rear of the property. The units are new, mod...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
I am happy that you made the choice to stay with us! We certainly appreciate your time reviewing and you have some great suggestions for future guests. Hopefully, we have the opportunity to host you and your family in the future, thank you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Great place to stay, shop and eat. Iconic hotel in a gorgeous setting. This is not where The Shining was filmed but it is nonetheless the symbol for the film. Lots to see on the grounds of this establishment. Lovely areas to walk and explore.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your business! Very happy to hear you had a great time in the beginning of the summer, we look forward to seeing you again!
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I sipped my morning coffee, purchased from the lower level cafe, on a secluded side terrace just outside the music and billiard rooms, but every corner of this hotel offers a place to explore --once the tour groups are gone. While our dinner was not particularly memorable, our breakfast was surprisingly good, which is important since guests are pretty much captive for breakfast. I can't imagine dragging myself away from the hotel on a cool summer morning. We were concerned about reviews that mentioned hot stuffy rooms, but lucked out with a cool August evening which made it possible to sleep with open windows and a gentle breeze from a small room fan. My advice, check in and check out, explore the grounds, take an afternoon hike in the area or catch a ride up the tram, come back later in the evening as the crowds ease and have a drink at the bar, wake up early and enjoy the peace before the crowds descend on the hotel for the early tours. We did not take the historic tour, but were able to pick up a great deal of the history through photographs and discussions with the staff. Although we also avoided the ghost tour, it was impossible not to pick up some of the 'vibe' as the tours made their way through the hallways. We may even have been visited by one of the ghosts. My son woke up half way through the night and said there as a man sitting by the side of his bed staring at him. The roll-away was unused for the rest of the night and we had no further visits, though the room keycard mysteriously stopped working on several occasions and my bath towel fell to the floor with a loud thud as soon as soon as I turned my back to the hook (perhaps a loose screw?). While the hotel was not the setting for the movie, it was the inspiration for the book and was used for the 1997 TV mini-series written by Stephen King. Former guests include Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan. My husband, amused by the 24/7 Shining station on the TV and fighting the urge to call the bartender Lloyd, was the most skeptical about the value of the experience, but purchased a coffee mug on the way out... so I guess it was all good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for visiting us! We appreciate your comments, and from the sound of it, you experienced all there was to offer! You have some great tips for enjoying the scenery, and I recommend those quite frequently. Thank you again!
Olathe, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We tried to get reservations for one of the ghost tours for three days. Finally gave in and did another historic/ghost tour. Very interesting, got to see allot of the original rooms. We didn't stay here, just did the tours. Kind of expensive to stay, but I wish we would have stayed at least one night. Our tour guide was quite 'colorful' and was in her 'part' for the whole tour. You can hang out in the lobby and see the original Stanley Steamer car, or just lounge around the hotel or the gift shop. Good stories about the hauntings there.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for stopping by to see our property. Our team does a great job, and I have shared your comments with the staff. We hope you have an opportunity to stay with us in the future!
Frisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

The Stanley's web site paints a lovely picture of a magnificent resort nestled in the foothills of the RMNP. Word to the wise: it's all marketing magic. Stay away from this ancient, cramped, noisy tourist trap.

The Stanley is historic in every sense of the word. Built in the early 1900s to rip tourists off, it's still doing it today. Our room was cramped beyond reason and un-air conditioned. Back in the 90s, they may have taken a glancing pass at redecorating, but it only proved to stuff 20 pounds of, um, stuff, in a 10 pound sack. We were constantly knocking into things, the bathroom door banged into the tv, and everything creaked and groaned. Bottom line, this was one of the worst nights of sleep I've ever had while traveling, and that's saying a lot.

On the service level, the hotel was understaffed by a mile. Absolutely no one was there to greet us when we pulled in. Instead, we had to park, find our way to the lobby (which is miles away from the supposed registration entrance), and ask for help. The concierge desk was staffed by a high schooler who seemed like he was going to faint at any moment. Probably because it was immediately obvious he knew less about the area than we did. The help desk in our building (separate from the main hotel) was unstaffed the entire stay. Plates, dishes, and glasses littered the lobbies, porches, and hallways the next morning. The security gate was unstaffed and wide open every time we went through. On our few interactions with actual staff, they were either uninformed, un-empowered, or simply didn't care. When checking out, the lady at the desk--who, to her credit, didn't even blink at my request to check out a day early--spent the entire time simultaneously checking me out and picking up the phone to help others.

The hotel seemed to exist to siphon money out of the pockets of the many, many tourists groups streaming through the lobbies and across the grounds. The end result was that we, as paying hotel guests, felt like second-class citizens on the grounds. It got so absurd at one point, we were photo-bombing the tourists' pictures simply by staying seated on the front porch of our building and raising our glasses. Although there were several signs instructing tourists that our building was for guests only, there was a stead stream of people walking through the door wondering, "What's in here? Oh, this is pretty!" After taking a few pictures, they would leave just as loudly. I even saw one couple knock the sign over as they came through. If I had to guess, the tourist-to-paying-guest-ratio was probably 100-to-1. At least it felt that way. It was absurd.

Bottom line: save yourself from an expensive, uncomfortable, sleepless stay at this overpriced, over-hyped tourist trap.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Kelsey was an excellent tour guide. Great fun and good info.
However I don't recommend staying here in the summer. There's no air conditioning and it gets hot in the rooms which forces you to leave the windows open. I happened to have a room over the outside courtyard bar and complained several times to the desk have the belligerent loud guests be quiet, to no avail.
If I'm going to pay $300 for a room I better have a/c and get some sleep.
On the up side, the Steamer Cafe has excellent coffee and pastries, the bar makes fantastic mojitos, and there's something for everyone in the gift shop!

• Stayed August 2013
Fort Collins, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the presidential cottage. There were bugs in the room. The light fixture still had tape from when they painted. We could hear our neighbors above using the bathroom. The room needs remodeled. I have seen a nicer motel 6 than this.

At check out, no one asked how my stay was.

• Stayed August 2013
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Please check your email as I have reached out to you directly.

Been to Stanley Hotel? Share your experiences!