“Ghostly Anniversary” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in Estes Park
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Ghostly Anniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for our anniversary, and we spend the day walking around Estes Park, and then we did the ghost tour at the Stanley and spent the night in their main hotel. It was a fabulous experience. I had to cancel my original dates, due to a death in the family, and the staff was incredibly understanding and helpful in helping me reschedule another date for our visit. The night ghost tour was fun, and the hotel is gorgeous. I would definitely come here again, it was a perfect getaway.

Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
I am so happy you and your boyfriend had a great time! Our entire team really thrives on being accomodating, it was our pleasure to help. We are excited to have you for next years anniversary! Thank you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
Joliet, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We arrived in Estes Park mid-week, between two late-April blizzards. I suspect we chose a great time to visit, as there were no crowds, with many of the attractions in the town still closed for the season. The Stanley Hotel was calm, quiet, and very relaxing.

The Stanley Hotel is an absolutely beautiful old hotel. The history of the hotel is well documented in photos and written descriptions at various locations throughout the facility, so it's possible to wander through the common areas to learn about the hotel's past. If you're patient, there is a wide variety of wildlife that appears on the Stanley Hotel property at various times during the day.

The hotel, both common areas and guest rooms, is well maintained. The bar is beautiful, with a very friendly and attentive staff. Our room was clean, with a very comfortable bed and a spotless, well appointed bath with a shower and jetted tub. The view from our huge windows was magnificent. Our only real issue was with excessive heat . . . despite turning the controller off, and opening the windows wide, we were unable to keep the room temperature below 80 degrees. Understanding that the hotel is over 100 years old, and understanding the concept of zone heating for hot water heat, we just opened the windows to cool the room down. (The windows opened easily. The sash cords and weights are obviously well maintained.)

Although architecturally and historically significant, the Stanley Hotel's greatest asset is its staff. Everyone we dealt with was polite, personable, and willing to help. Their front desk staff is incredible. By the time I had finished the remarkably efficient check-in process, I felt as if I'd known the young man at the desk for years, and that I was being greeted as an old friend. Other front desk staff we interacted with displayed the same concern that we were enjoying our stay, as did every staff member we met. Whatever selection and training process the Stanley Hotel uses to hire employees and train them for their jobs should be replicated by other lodging providers.

We would love to return to the Stanley Hotel.

Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for your great feedback! I am most proud of our staff's demeanor and abililty to provide you with excellent service! I shared your comments with our engineering team as well, they were very appreciative as typically they "slip through the cracks". We hope to have the pleasure of your return business in the future! Thank you again!
Everett, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This was the second year I stayed at the Stanley Hotel for the BRE Stanley Ghost Hunting event. I love this hotel! The location is beautiful, the staff is friendly and ready to help at every turn.

Both times I have been there I have stayed in their Deluxe King Suite which is large well appointed. The bed is comfy and the jetted tub in the bathroom is a plus!

I can't wait for next year's event and look forward to another great stay the Stanley!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
We certainly had a great time hosting your event! Our deluxe rooms are definitely very comfortable to stay in. I am always happy to hear about our staff's level of service, this is what we strive for. We look forward to your return! Thank you.
teton village
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I absolutely loved the ambience and sense of history in this hotel. I found the public areas and my guest room to be impeccably maintained and cared for.

I also love how the hotel embraces their reputation for the paranormal, rather than hide or shy away from it.

The location of the hotel is situated on a hill, overlooking Estes Park, with the mountains of Rocky Mountain National Park behind the town.

Above all, all of the staff that I encountered were extremely professional and helpful.

I cannot wait to return for a longer stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for your recent visit! We certainly have a storied history no matter which view you choose! I am happy that our staff was accomodating during your stay, we certainly aim to please all of our guests. Thank you again.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My wife and I decided to spend a night at the historic Stanley for my birthday. I reserved the 'ghost hunter' package, which was 1 night, included 2 mugs and a EM meter with a 4th floor room. The package cost was 295 before tax. Nice looking room, good view, however there were 2 weddings there that day and the hotel was packed with a bunch of drunks. The loud laughing, stomping thru the halls and slamming of doors made any kind of sleep absolutely impossible. We decided to check out at 2am and drive home, since we live in Ft. Collins. I thought it was just bad luck.

However, the next day I checked my bank account and lo and behold, the Stanley hotel charged me, get this, 482 dollars. I called to see what the problem was and she just asked if I still had my email confirmation. I saved it and emailed it back to her, and she said they would refund me 120.00. I still haven't seen a refund, this place is an absolute rip off, stay away.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel.
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, I apologize that your stay fell below your expectations. I'd ask that you reach out to me directly if you would like to discuss further. If the monetary issues are still unresolved I'd ask that you also contact me. Thank you.
Salisbury, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed at the Stanley Hotel on the eve of our anniversary. Upon check-in, everyone and everything (human and paranormal) was perfect. We requested and received a haunted room, Room 428! The hotel is adorned throughout with period appointments.

We had dinner that night at the bar, as the snow was accumulating heavily on the roads in and our of Estes Park. The food was spectacular and the service was great.

We took the night ghost tour and it was excellent with some great paranormal evidence recorded. I spent most of the night awake because I was hoping to see as much paranormal evidence I possibly could.

The hotel has lots of creaks and groans, that seem to be a combination of age and the unknown. This hotel was amazing and we can't wait to go back.

And if the morning is clear, wake up at sunrise and witness the amazing scenery.

Room Tip: If you are into the paranormal, request a haunted room on the 4th floor. You will not know until yo...
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Room 428 is a great room, and it sits perfectly in the front of the hotel, so you get probably the best views. Our night tour team does an amazing job, and you are very lucky to catch some evidence of activity! We look forward to your return in the future, thank you again for your business!
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband and I have been looking forward to a stay here for a while. I have to say, this is the most historic, lovely, pictoresque hotel I have ever stayed in. When we walked into out room, we had a bottle of Prosecco chilled for us, which is perfect after the drive. Everything about our stay was charming and lovely. We wouldn't stay anywhere else in Estes Park. We stayed on the 4th floor, rooms are on the small side, but its an old hotel, people were smaller and it accomodated us just fine. Nice hot shower, clean room, window that opens for fresh air, ceiling fan, timely housekeeping service. The bar was amazing. Try the St. Germain for something different. Bar can get busy with some interesting people on Friday and Saturday nights, not a lot of manners going around with other guests and patrons of the hotel bar, but we just tried to keep to our own. We had a romantic getaway and were able to spend quite a lot of time on our own around the property being that it is not the busy season. Hotel staff are so friendly. We will return in late fall. Perfect trip for us, definitely.

Room Tip: Rooms at ends of hallways are bigger than the one we stayed in, not sute how much much they run than...
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for your kind words, I am excited that you and your husband had a great time while you were here! It is true that there is some great people watching Friday and Saturday nights! We look forward to your return in the fall!

Been to Stanley Hotel? Share your experiences!