“Excellent unique experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in Estes Park
Peyton, Colorado
“Excellent unique experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Had a Living Social voucher for $99, which included $15 voucher to the restaurant, + upgraded (also at a discount) to a Deluxe Premium King with a beautiful view of Estes Park and the Mountains. There is no a/c in any of the rooms so with the sun shining in the room was a little warm at first until you got the window open and the fan going but at night it was a great sleep on a great bed with great (real) pillows. Also no mini-fridge we had a small cooler w/ice packs to keep our drinks and milk cold for the evening. Hoping to see a few ghosts but didn't get lucky.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for spending an evening with us, the Living Social promotion is definitely a great value and we have had a great response from our guests. The views from our Deluxe rooms in the front of the hotel are majestic! We hope to see you again soon, thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the Stanley Hotel! We stayed on the third floor of the main building and our room was surprisingly large for such an old, historic hotel. The bed was very comfy with nice linens. Our room was clean with a flat screen TV, large walk in closet and it even had an alarm clock dock for our Ipod. Cascades restaurant and bar was wonderful. The staff was friendly and very accommodating. We took an evening ghost tour and it was fun, but we didn't encounter any ghosts...boo! A side note to Off Season travelers, there are no restaurants in Estes Park open after 9:00pm.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 4th floor are smaller.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

We stay in room 238 which is a Deluxe King room that is almost directly over the lobby, looking out over the front of the property. The room was nice, with large furniture and a clean bathroom. The floors creak, which I happen to love! There is no air conditioning, but the windows open! So we had fresh air and a cool breeze. Everything was in working order (ceiling fan, TV, clock on night stand). The night stand clock was the kind that you could put your iPhone in to charge and play music, but I didn't use it. The walls are older, therefore we could hear people walking in the hallway, but it wasn't too bad.

The price was pretty expensive for one night. I had a deal through living social and then upgraded to the larger room. That still saved me about $100.00 off of the retail price. For full price I might have been dissapointed in the lack of amenities (no 24-hour room service, no air conditioning, etc). But I kept in mind that the purpose of this trip was to soak up the history and maybe see a ghost! So it was worth is for us. We took the Stanley Tour with Scary Mary for $17.00 per person, and it was worth every penny! The information was great and she was a lot of fun!

We are already planning to stay again, but specifically in one of the more haunted rooms, and maybe on a full moon or something, in hopes of seeing some paranormal activity.

Check-in and out was professional, fast, and service staff was friendly.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your feedback and visiting our property. The living social deal is fantastic and we have had a lot of positive responses from our guests. Scary Mary is a phenomenal employee and an absolute joy to work with. We hope to have the opportunity to play host for you again. Thank you!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I had very high hopes that our stay here would be amazing. ... hasn't gone as hoped. I do have to say the font desk staff is very nice and let us check in a little early but then downhill. I wish we hadn't spent so much money here. I had ordered the cheese tray to suprise my daughter as we have never ordered anything to be in the room before. I figured since we checked in early it would show up later and I even verified it but we had to ask for it again. I know things happen so it's understandable but then I wanted wine to go with it. Good luck getting service at the bar. ..I was actually upset about that so I just went back to the room. My daughter wanted to use the tub so I agreed ... not a good idea she hit the whirlpool function and the tub was filled with black stuff. ... yuck. Tomorrow needs to be better. . I'm sure it will be as this place is beautiful and I've heard the tours are great.

• Stayed April 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I recently stayed here at this awesomely placed manor on the hill in the middle of Estes park, a town I had visited as a child. Now in my mid30's and my second million on the way, I decided I wanted to stay. I payed a cool 399 on a haunted room but nothing happened? I also noticed how unwell the grounds were kept. The brass was weathered beyond the look of repair outside and inside their elevator. The resteraunt we went to check out looked as if it wasn't vacuumed for days with proof of previous guests meals scattered around the floor. I'm surprised I saw no rats. I wondered if there was even a manager there to speak with but employees dodged my eye like the plague at the front desk, near tours and the restraunt. I don't think their price was worth it due to the fact that it was a mess. Everywhere. Nothing can drive me away like that, but if you don't mind being up to your mid thigh in filth stop here and check out their veranda!

• Stayed March 2013
Saratoga Springs, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We initially decided to visit the Stanley because of its association with The Shining, and because we had read about its opulence and service. We have not been disappointed on any of our four stays. Understanding that this hotel is historic and therefore has its quirks (no air conditioning, creaky floors, stiff windows), we have always been impressed with the service and friendliness of the staff. Every employee greets us with a smile, even when they pass us in the parking lot after their shift. The atmosphere is nothing like any other hotel, whether you're looking for paranormal or class.

Regarding the paranormal, we have had experiences on each visit that add to the fun of staying at the Stanley. From footsteps and shadows, to our bodies being manipulated and items being moved, this hotel is filled with activity. The ghosts were the reason we tried the Stanley, but the overall experience and exceptional service are what keep bringing us back!

Room Tip: Fourth floor rooms tend to be warmer due to heat rising from the other floors. Second and Third floo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Fullerton, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I would like to start by saying that I was initially extremely excited to stay in this hotel. I had read how it was the inspiration behind "The Shining" and has been featured on Ghost Hunters for its paranormal activity. The hotel is beautiful in a completely creepy sort of way.
Checking in: The main entrance is now in the back so when you walk in you don't know exactly where to go. When we found where to check in there was a bit of a mix up with our reservation. We booked a ghost package online and received a military discount. The ghost package included a room on the fourth floor (the haunted floor), a coffee mug per person, an emf meter, and a squishy ghost. Apparently, you cannot book a package and receive a discount and we were only able to do it because it was a "computer glitch". We were extremely confused by this, but the person working the host desk didn't have a superior available to speak to about our issue. We had scheduled a ghost tour we didn't want to be late for, so we kind of had to deal with it and come back later. We eventually straightened it out and received our emf meter, but we did not have it in time for our ghost tour which was disappointing. FYI I don't suggest wasting your money on the emf meter.. Didn't really work even on things it should've picked up a reading on.
The Ghost Tours: The ghost tour was neat because you got access to areas of the hotel that are roped off. They also give more insight about the property and the history. We took the 6 o'clock ghost tour. We wanted to take the 8 o'clock one but were not able to get into it. The tours run in about groups of 20, there were many younger kids in our tour and a number of people not taking it very seriously. We didn't see much of anything, and it was hard to take pictures without someone walking through your picture. We managed to get a few really creepy pictures. We heard that a young girl was scratched by "something" in the second 8pm tour. Regardless, the tour was cool and if you stay here you definitely need to go on at least one of their tours.
Our Room: We stayed in room 426. Apparently room 426 use to be part of room 428, which is a haunted room who is known to have a visitor whom they call "The Cowboy". Our room was extremely small, but it had its charms. However, after staying one night in this room I can assure you I will never stay in that building again. While it was really amazing to see the history, and go on a ghost hunt, the more reasonable side of me who enjoys sleeping out weighs the positives. The building is old, the floor boards creak, you can hear through the walls, and the pipes in the walls are constantly making noise. In our room there was a constant tapping in the walls about every fifteen-twenty minutes, and the toilet wouldn't quit running from about 2am-4am. Call it paranormal activity if you want, but I call it old plumping that is due for an upgrade! We also found dirty cups that someone left in the closet, and someones dirty tissue in the bathroom. After a sleepless night I went to take a hot shower and the shower started to flood because the drain doesn't drain very quickly. Going back to the squeaky floor boards; being on the 4th floor which is known for its activity, we had people walking the halls ways most of the night ghost hunting. The constant traffic did not make for a relaxing time. Also, there is NO air-conditioning. The room was extremely hot! The thermostat said 76... I couldn't sleep in the heat (and it was snowing outside!)
The Cascade Restaurant: This place is awesome. After a long day of ghost touring and tromping around in the snow, this place hit the spot. Their food is pretty good, but the best part is there wide selection of bourbon and whisky and all their drinks for that matter. The bartender was nice but kind of spacey. He seemed preoccupied and forgot about us a few times, but their bar manager, I believe his name was Jimmy fully made up for it! He shared a ton of information with us about whisky, which we found interesting and enjoyable. He was a cool guy. Everyone should make a stop in the bar for a drink.
Paranormal Activity: We were able to get two pictures that gave me the creeps! And the tapping, running toilet water, and heavy foot steps... Not sure. I chose to blame the old building and old pipes. One thing that really creeped me out was constantly getting shocked. My boyfriend and myself were constantly shocked only on the fourth floor. And when I say shocked, I'm not talking about a little zap. Every time one of us touched the door handle, light switch, or even each other we were zapped so hard you could visibly see the little bolt of electricity. There was a story about a housekeeper who did not like unwed couples sharing a room, so I'm not sure if we were being punished or if it was a fluke!
If you're looking for history/paranormal activity, stay here. Just keep in mind that its not the most comfortable place to stay. Don't expect much sleep!

Room Tip: Stay in the Manor House- less foot traffic! Beware of the fourth floor and heavy foot traffic- the c...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Stanley Hotel? Share your experiences!