“Surprise weekend getaway” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   333 Wonderview Ave, Estes Park, CO 80517   |
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Estes Park
“Surprise weekend getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

On an impulse I booked a surprise weekend trip for my husband and I with out 1 year old daughter the week before Halloween.
We drove from Rapid City, SD and arrived a bit later in the evening. The staff was wonderfully welcoming upon our arrival and we even ended up on the 4th floor! Our room was cozy, we loved the huge closet to put everyting in. It helped us to feel less cramped in the room.
We were exhausted so we ordered room service. The food was prompt and very tasty. We had ordered a bison burger, chicken club and chicken fingers for our little one. I do think the room service was a bit overpriced with the extra 20% added, but everyhting was good notheless.
We hiked most of our Saturday, but I had reservations at the restaraunt for our family. I was worried about being in such a nice hotel and restaraunt with a 1-year old but the hotel and restaraunt staff were so good to us and our little girl. The food at Cascades was very good, but I will admit overpriced. We both split an appetizer and then had cesar salads with grilled chicken for an entre and out little girl had mac and cheese. After dinner we walked around the front of the hotel and enjoyed drinks in front of the fireplace. The atmosphere was very cozy. Our little girl loved marching around the lobby area and we were so happy there were other couples with small kids!
OUr room was qute smaill, but the roomy closet and bathroom made up fpr it. The bathroom has of course been through some updates, but there was some peeling paint and extra grout stuck around the tub. It could have been done with a little more attention to detail, but a nice clean bathroom regardless.
It got a bit warm at night, but I appreciated the heads up about no central air. Opened the windows and were very comfortable at night.
To top off our trip, we totally experienced a haunting! OUr daughter had me up a couple times (she was in a pack-n-play), and i went back to sleep only half covered up. I was woken up by what felt like a little finger tracing the tatoo on the back of my shoulder. When I woke up the top drawer to the dresser was also open. Bout 2:30 Am, my husband and I were both woken up by what somed like kids laughing in the hallway. Creepy!!!
We really did have a wonderful stay and wish were able to do 1 more night. The only reason I didn't do an "excellent" rating was because I thought things got a bit too pricey. I do understand upkeep of historic buildings - I used to live in one, However, I would be more prone to come back if it were a little more affordable. With that said this was probably a once-in-a-lifetime trip for my little family and we had a great time. Highly reccomended if you find yourself witht e opportunity to go.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
Wichita, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

I had always wanted to stay at the Stanley and definitely could not pass up the groupon when I saw it last October. My husband and I decided Valentine's would be the perfect time to go. We checked in on 13 Feb for two nights. The hotel is beautiful. The history of this 100 year old hotel was interesting. Our room was smaller then we thought but it was fine. The bed was very comfortable! The 24 hour channel with "The Shinning" playing was pretty funny, however I feel like they should play the Stephen King remake since it was filmed at The Stanley. Only bad issue with room was it took forever for the water in the bathroom whether sink or shower to heat up. The first night there we took the ghost tour, and it was interesting but some things such as "Lucy" shutting the door are questionable, but all in all it was informative and entertaining. We had a lot of fun touring the Stanley on our own, especially since we were guest and allowed to walk the floors. Valentine's night we enjoyed a lovely dinner at Cascades and then sitting in the lobby by the fireplace drinking a bottle of wine. All of the employees from the front desk to engineering to house keeping were very nice. My husband and I both agreed that we enjoyed staying at The Stanley and would definitely go back for another visit.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for spending your special day with us! I am very happy to hear that you had a wonderful visit and our staff was able to exceed your expectations! We do have a lot of interesting history, and great paranormal actvity. We look forward to hosting you and your husband again soon! Thank you.
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We just spend 3 days and 2 nights at the Stanley for an Optimist conference. We had a great time! The banquet facilities, meeting rooms, and restaurant are wonderful. We aren't a huge group, but we were treated like royalty! Our room was small but very comfortable. I don't usually sleep well away from home, but our bed was so incredibly comfortable, that I got restful and deep sleep both nights! We even had a couple of "spirit kids" in our bathroom one night.

Room Tip: Don't think any of the rooms would not be a good room. Our entire group had nothing but wonderf...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your visit, we appreciated playing host to your group! Our beds are definitely comfortable- I had to live here for two months! We hope to see you and the Optimist Group again next year. Thank you!
Rollinsville, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We just went for a quick Valentine's escape. We've stayed there before so we knew what to expect. We are not high maintenance and enjoy getting away from everyday life to just enjoy each others company, have some fun, and relax. The Stanley is a unique old hotel. With that being said, the detail to craftsmanship in the decor and history on display in the pictures are something we appreciate when visiting. The basic rooms are smaller than your average hotel and you can hear people walking in the hallway. However, the beds are incredibly comfortable and the room had everything we needed during a short getaway. We spent the evening at the hotel. We sat at the bar for pre-dinner drinks. The service was wonderful and helpful. We did not have to wait to be seated for dinner and the server there was also friendly and accommodating. Everything we ordered was superb. We enjoyed a walk around the grounds after. We did not see any ghosts, but the elk were magnificent as always. Overall, this is definitely a place to experience at least once. We will be back again because it is always a pleasant escape.

Room Tip: If you plan on spending a great deal of time in your room or having a couch/extra space is important...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for your recent visit! I am happy to hear that this was an enjoyable trip and that your weekend getaway was comfortable! We look forward to having you as our guest again, thank you for your business!
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We had a great stay. Beautiful hotel, nice quaint room, great dinner! We stayed on a Monday night and I think we were the only few people there. We requested 217 but was told it was not available so we asked for the fourth floor as we heard it was haunted. We ended up downgrading to a small queen room 417. It was very cute with a great view. We found out there was remodeling taking place when we went exploring. We had dinner at Cascades and it was great! Good service, great food and drinks! Very comfortable bed.

I gave them a four out of five because of a few things. It was a little difficult to figure out where to check in. Once we got to our room I could not find any information in it regarding details of hotel and amenities. The furniture in the room was cute but not real antiques. We had to explore the hotel by opening any door that would open to find things such as ice machine, computer, fitness center. Not enough signage.

Overall, we really did have a great time and didn't mind exploring the hotel to find things. I recommend staying in the winter because it feels like you have the hole place to yourself. As far as ghost experiences we had none. We hoped to hear something but it was the quietest night ever.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for your feeedback and visiting our property! Unfortunately, we cannot control the spirits, otherwise we certainly would have put in a request! Thank you for your constructive comments, this definitely helps us improve our product. We hope to play your host again and hopefully there will be a few "extras" next time!
Greeley, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My husband and I had been talking about staying here for along time but were unable to do so until his vacation right before Christmas 2012. We made our reservations two days before our stay and we did not think the price was an issue taking into consideration what we heard and read about hotel. When we arrived at the hotel we knew we liked it because we had drove by it before since we live in Colorado we go to Estes Park quite often. Parking was easy but it happened to be really cold, windy, and snowing so we had to walk a little ways. Checking in was easy and the staff seemed friendly and helpful. Once settled into our room we walked around a little and decided to to the night ghost tour although we had our two children ages 11 and 10 with us. We heard it was suppose to be scary but took our chances and were very disappointed. We paid $25.00 a piece on a basic information tour which was a waste of money and time it took two hours. We were also disappointed in the room it is obviously old and historic but for about $250.00 for one night it was ridiculous although the beds were very cozy. I liked learning about the history the most. Check out time was at 11 am I believe but we checked out 7:30 Christmas eve morning. Although unhappy with the experience I'm glad we did it once and know now we would not be back again. While this hotel may be for others it is not for us.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We stayed at the Stanley this past weekend and I was really looking forward to it. The obvious Hollywood and Historic nostalgia were attracting and they maintained that image very well. The hotel is in great shape (the entry floors were curing during our stay so the lobby was empty but that is understandable), but it's an old hotel, so plan on getting to know your neighbors and judging people in the hall, you hear everything. I didn't mind this, I think it really added to the historic feel actually. The beds are far from ancient though, they are quite wonderful.

I am in the hospitality industry though and a couple of things bothered me with the experience at the Stanley. I know it's a vacation destination but since I'm a business owner, work never really stops and I needed to get some work done. This wasn't really possible efficiently. There was no desk in my room so I went looking for a business center. I talked to the front desk and they seemed apathetic and not interested in providing a good answer or several options. I was told about the computers and printer, alluding to a business center...nope. The ice cream parlor (I think?) is full of hard, cafe style amenities not conducive to work, but worse, it is absolutely FREEZING down there. Since the lobby was also out of the question I moped back to my room and attempted to construct a workspace on the floor from pillows, the foot end bench, and the floor. I didn't get much done.

The restaurant also was an interesting experience. The night bar tender(s)...Awesome. Our dinner server (I think his name was Nick)...fantastic! Wonderful menu knowledge, perfect timing, well balanced conversation, expedited service but he never left us feeling rushed, and the food was all wonderful. Breakfast was a different story. We were very pressed for time and just wanted to walk in and have some sausage, scrambled eggs, and an English muffin. We didn't need to see the menu for obvious reasons. We had a simple, preconceived requests, and to boot, we were the only patrons in the restaurant at 7:15a when we walked in. The waitress insisted we look at a menu and order one of the items. This isn't Waffle House or some place where meals come prepackaged. Just take the elements, combine them, charge us whatever you feel is fair and let's get on with it. We would have been more than willing to pay $60 for breakfast including coffee and juice and be out of there in 15 minutes. That's a pretty darn easy profit for the restaurant and tip for the waitress. We were turned down so we left and went to The Egg and I. What a fantastic hospitality experience! and I'm not saying that out of spite. Catered to every (simple) need, and they even made us deli sandwiches wrapped to-go since we were heading into the mountains and offered us complimentary to-go coffee on the way out. It doesn't matter what your decor is, how your servers dress or what your menu prices are; hospitality is simple and easy to deliver, and making your customers feel good should be a first priority.

Long story short: when you go to the Stanley, do it for the history. Do it for dinner. Don't do it for hospitable service.

Room Tip: Get a room at an end if you're a light sleeper. Go to the Egg & I down the road for breakfa...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family