“Excellent stay at the Stanley Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Stanley Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   333 Wonderview Ave, Estes Park, CO 80517   |
Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in Estes Park
Loveland, Colorado
“Excellent stay at the Stanley Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

The staff were extremely professional, our room was great and had no problems with heat as mentioned in previous reviews. At one point, we were looking at the antique square grand in the lobby and a staffperson (I didn't get to read her tag) came up and gave us a great history of the hotel and the pianos.

Room Tip: Our room was 327 with beautiful views of the mountains. It was very quiet, and a beautifully decora...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
CalleaSherrill, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Please come back anytime!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

The Stanley Hotel is located in beautiful Estes Park, CO and the everything is wonderful until you come to your room. I think we stayed in what used to be the attic given the absurd ceiling location.

Overall I'd stay the "historic" theme is holding this place back. Outdated place. I've stayed in historic hotels (even is Hot Springs, Arkansas and Oklahoma) that are modern and updated.

We used a Groupon to stay the night and I wonder if we got a "Groupon" discount room. See the attached pictures.

The ceiling light and one nightstand lamp had burnt out bulbs. That was cool. Shouldn't that be checked by housekeeping???

The size was 6 x 8 paces and consisted of a bed, table, dresser, and a bathroom. The ceiling on the rt of the bed was perfect for those less than 5 feet tall, otherwise you bang your head (which my wife did twice). The bed was located 3 feet from the NOISY hallway which was full of groups of kids running up and down looking for ghosts. The best was at 1:45am when it sounded like a group of elk running by. Maybe they were spirits, I don't know. Earplugs can't only hide so much. Slept about 4 hours overall. We thought about driving back to Denver at 2:30 am, but stuck it out.

Room had a heater only, which is fine but we still were sweating the entire night even with the heater off.

The TV was huge and hung awkwardly on the wall and didn't match the "historic" decor of the room. No HDTV on a HD set makes for worthless watching. The Shining on a loop all day was a funny touch though.

The bathroom was huge with nothing on the wall except for a towel rack that when you pulled the towel, the rod would fall out on the floor since the rack was not securely screwed in. Bathtub has jets, but didn't check that out.

My recommendations would be check this place out for the history and explore the grounds of the hotel itself. That is well worth it. But I would definitely actually stay at another of the more than capable hotels in Estes Park or nearer to RMNP itself.

I would never pay full price for this place, let alone Groupon discount price again.

Oh yeah, the free 1 ticket for the ghost tour wasn't offered at our check-in. Oh well.

Didn't see any ghosts.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs and leave your expectations at home.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dswanson30, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, February 29, 2012
Thank you for your feedback, and we apologize that you were disappointed in the information given on the tour. We are constantly updating the tour content, as well as the history, and it seems that the tour guide, on your specific tour, was misinformed in regards to the facts. We invite you to come back to enjoy one of the many tours we offer. Please feel free to contact the Tours Manager if you would like to discuss this further.
Laramie, Wyoming, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

This was located right in the center of Estes Park and it was a very beautiful hotel. It is very old and very pretty. The ghost tour was kinda a waste of time but I learned alot of history. The room was very old and smelled like dust but very comfortable. No ghosts were seen of course. Overall it is very pretty hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
CalleaSherrill, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
We are glad you enjoyed your stay at our beautiful and historic hotel. I will pass along the comment about the dust smell in your room. We are currently undergoing renovation to our hotel, and hope that won't be a problem for you in the future. Let us know in advance next time you visit and we will put in a request with our spirits to make a special appearance for you. No guarantees though!
Manchester, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

Lord Dunraven never visited the Hotel. He last visited Estes in 1888, the hotel was built 1909. He never sexually harassed the nannies or help, or local women, there were only a couple when he visited his own hotel. Yes he partied and was tossed from his own hotel but he never went pimping in other towns. The tours are telling fabricated, historically incorrect lies about him. He wanted selfishly to preserve the valley, Stanley was a crass commercialist. Look at the traffic and clutter, Stanleys dream, not Dunravens. But I love the Hotel, a wonderful place to stay and a beautiful grand hotel.

Room Tip: Front of hotel, not back
Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Great staff, great food, great history and what a view of Rocky Mountain National Park. No this is not a ultra modern hotel however it is such a treat to stay in such an historic icon of Estes Park Colorado. This hotel is full of stories and ghostly ones at that. You will start to question what you really believe. Make sure you take the ghost tours and hopefully you will make contact with the other side. Enjoy a Bacon Bloody Mary out on the vast porch and take in the splendor of the mountains. It truly is a stay to remember....if you make it out in one piece! LOL.

Room Tip: Some rooms claim to be haunted so buyer beware.... anything on the 4th floor will possibly make your...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
CalleaSherrill, General Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Thank you so much for your nice comments! It's hard to decide which is more popular to our guests, our spectacular view or our haunted history. Glad to hear you enjoyed both!
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

I'm not into scary things, but I do love historical buildings. Staying here I have to say - I love this hotel! I couldn't put my camera down. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The front desk person told me to ask for Jesse if I needed anything. They brought up a spare bed for my son within minutes. And yes the Shining was playing 24/7 on the TV - my husband and son watched. I explored the hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

We stayed 2 nights. We took a tour, which was really great and I would recommend that. We were really bothered by all of the noise at night. There was a group of people walking through the halls, over and over and over, obviously doing a ghost hunt or something...they were laughing and talking and running around ALL night long. I'm not talking 10pm, I'm talking 2am...3am...ugh!!! I called the front desk twice and was assured that someone would go up to tell them to either be quiet or return to their rooms, but nothing was ever done as they continued to walk the halls. I finally opened my door to tell them to please be quiet and respect the other guests, but they just laughed and ran away. They all had cameras and seemed drunk...so they were obviously "looking for ghosts" or whatever. It really ruined our stay.

Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
CalleaSherrill, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2012
We're happy to hear you enjoyed your Ghosts & History tour. It is a popular way to learn more about our historic hotel. But we are sorry to hear that your stay was not as restful as you would have liked. We will discuss the matter with our security team. Thank you for your comments.

Been to Stanley Hotel? Share your experiences!