“Beautiful, clean and HOT” 3 of 5 stars

Stanley Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   333 Wonderview Ave, Estes Park, CO 80517   |
Ranked #15 of 29 hotels in Estes Park
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Beautiful, clean and HOT”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

Perhaps it was our fault for not checking...or perhaps it was our fault for choosing to stay on an 89 degree day, but we spent the night sweating it out in our western facing room. Turning on the fan full blast and keeping the windows open for air did not help much. It never occurred to me that this beautiful hotel at $249 a night would not have AC, but evidently the historic nature of the hotel makes this impossible. This was a major complaint for me as I find it very hard to sleep when sweating, but other than that, it was a nice room, nice atmosphere, very pretty grounds, clean, friendly staff and a fun place to stay. The restaurant was very good, but pricey for what it was...same with the cocktails.

991 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
Seattle, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Stanley Hotel this past weekend while attending a wedding which was hosted on the property. The wedding and reception were wonderfully executed events, but our experience as hotel guests was quite different. We paid a nightly room rate of $249 and for that price, we had pretty high expectations that our stay would be top notch. It wasn't. For starters, when we arrived at the Stanley, we noticed a dozen or so colorful tents set out on the front lawn. What we initially thought was a poorly placed campground in front of the hotel was actually an exhibition for camping supplies. I can't imagine why they allowed this exhibit to be so prominent in front of the hotel, creating a negative first impression for arriving guests. The front desk personnel were polite and quick to get us checked in despite our early arrival time, but upon arriving in our room, we discovered that the sink stopper was stuck in the down position and the rod to raise the stopper was broken. A call to the front desk resulted in a quick visit from the maintenance staff, but it's a call that should never have been necessary in the first place. The decor in the room was not modern, but perfectly in keeping with the "historic" character the Stanley wants to project. And speaking of things that project, the walls were so thin that we could hear conversations from the adjacent rooms - which was quite a shame because my husband and I wanted to talk about one of the wedding guests behind her back but couldn't do so for fear that she would hear us from her room which was right next to ours! We had 2 meals in Cascades, the hotel restaurant, neither of which was anything to write home about. Our evening gatherings with the wedding party in the bar were very enjoyable, though and the service staff was prompt and attentive to our needs.
On the morning of the wedding, I discovered I needed a pedicure and called The Parlour to see if they had any available slots - which they did. When the time for my appointment came, I asked the front desk how to get to the spa and was given directions which were incomplete, either due to my failure to listen carefully or non-specificity on the part of the front desk staffer who told me where to go. Ultimately, I ended up lost inside the Manor House and struggled to find a staff member who could help me find my way. When I finally found a housekeeper, she told me the salon was in the main hotel building (which is where I had just come from). When I told her the front desk told me otherwise, she admitted that she was new and that she didn't know where the salon was. She asked another housekeeper who told her that the salon was behind the Manor House. So off I went only to find that there was nothing behind the Manor House except a parking lot. I returned to that same housekeeper who then made a phone call and found that I had made a turn one red awning too soon (the spa has a separate entrance on the very end of the Manor House building). So I walked into the spa/salon, passing 2 women who were sitting next to the front door smoking cigarettes. The salon receptionist greeted me and asked me to take a seat. Then the 2 smoking women came in to the salon and one of them introduced herself to me as my pedicurist. And she smelled like cigarettes. There was nothing professional or spa-like about this experience. The salon is crammed into a small area which has several hair chairs, wash stations, and pedicure chairs. The staffers were all very casually dressed and unprofessionally yelling across the salon to each other while tending to their clients. And just so you know, they don't have any hair towels because they aren't getting their washer fixed until Thursday. How do I know? Because the stylist yelled to the receptionist to bring her hair towels and the receptionist responded by yelling back that they wouldn't have any til Thursday because that's when the washer would be fixed. I paid $65 for my pedicure and although the pedi looked fine, the atmosphere of the salon does not justify the astronomically high prices. I felt more like I was in a bargain basement salon in the rough part of town.
The Stanley Hotel is a beautiful building which has overextended its welcome on the coattails of any goodwill it has received as a result of it's connection to Stephen King's book "The Shining". Next time, we'll stay at the $75 hotel just down the street!

Jasper, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

We have been to Colorado a few times, and though we had seen The Stanley Hotel and had thought about staying sometime, it was not until June of this year that we made the trip. From the second we got there, we were in love with the hotel. The ghost tour was awesome fun, and we learned so much from our guide, Nancy, that we did not know! Our room was a dormer room on the 4th floor, and was small, but the huge flat-screen TV on the wall definitely made up for the size of the room. We had a couple of immediate issues, one with the TV, one with the hot water, and both complaints were handled immediately and professionally and corrected. The hotel is pricey, and we would not stay there more than a couple of nights and only for a special occasion, because of that, but the restaurant and the sandwich shop were delicious, again, pricey, but the food was excellent, and this was a special trip for us, so we indulged ourselves. The housekeeping staff was knowledgeable about the history of the hotel and the sights of Estes Park and beyond, very respectful, and did a good job keeping the hotel looking magnificent. The only tips I could give are: Anyone who wants a special and memorable Rocky Mountain holiday in a great old haunted hotel, should definitely stay at least one night in The Stanley, and if you get a 4th floor room, ask for a room near the fire escape. With the door open, and our room's windows open, the mountain breezes were decadent (and it was an easy way to get around having to bust through a tour group on that popular floor). :0)

Southern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

I'm a big fan of Stephen King and my husband and I are always game to stay in places that are supposedly haunted, so the Stanley Hotel was a great choice for us. We stayed there for one night a few days after Christmas after flying into Denver. The drive wasn't too bad, even in the winter. The hotel is in Estes Park, which is a quaint touristy town with lots of shops and restaurants, so there were plenty of meal choices in town. When we arrived, signs led us to the back of the hotel, when we really wanted to park in front. The front-desk clerk even commented that the signs were misleading. Our room was a bit small, but had everything we needed. We enjoyed having a flat-screen TV, with one channel devoted to showing the Jack Nicholson version of The Shining continuously. We stayed in a room on the 4th floor, which is supposed to be haunted, but we had no "visitations." By the time we had checked into the hotel, there was only one ghost tour left, which was all booked. We ended up taking a morning ghost tour, which didn't have the same impact as an evening tour. It was interesting, but not as much fun. We did some walking around the property and it's a beautiful old hotel. The elevator is the old-fashioned kind that used to have a person operate it. Hotels like these tend to be on the expensive side, but I think staying for a night can give you a taste of how the affluent of past days used to live.

Room Tip: Ask if there are any discounts when you book.
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Panama City, Panama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

We stayed 3 nights in May. During our stay, all the furniture was replaced. We had a huge room in the manor house with brand new furniture at a very reasonable price. My wife's sister, on the other hand, paid twice the price for a room in the main building, only to be upgraded to the Presidential Suite. So she had 5 bedrooms, 4 baths, a full kitchen and living room, laundry and furnished deck overlooking the mountains. The downside was there was nothing historical about it. Our room still had the feel of a 100 year old hotel.

We ate several breakfasts, a lunch and a dinner in the retaurant. Like many Estes Park establishments, they offer game. We tried elk, bison and wild boar meatloaf, buffalo sliders and elk and buffalo sausage. All were excellent, as were the salad, eggs, seafood bisque, etc.

The grounds are magnificent, with a view of the Rockies on a clear day and elk roaming the premises. There is no need to leave the property for a close encounter! We traveled throughout the hotel night and day without problems, posing in front of 217 and getting a shot of Mrs Stanley's ghost at the piano. Part of each evening was spent with a glass of wine in front of one of the 2 large fireplaces in the lobby.

My only small complaint was housekeeping. The same piece of lint sat under the bathroom sink for our entire stay.

This was a great vacation and the Stanley Hotel lived up to its promise for us.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade. No 2 rooms are alike.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We spent my 50th birthday at the Stanley this year, it was quite a treat! The day we got there, they were refurnishing all of the rooms, so we had to wait to register into our room, but the hotel staff made up for it by upgrading us to a King room on the 4th floor. It was very nice, brand new bed, with beautiful furnishings.

The entire experience was excellent. We had dinner in the Steamer's Restaurant - it was good, but a little pricey. Regardless, we went there for the experience, so expected to pay a little exra. The overall hotel is a work of art, nestled in a beautiful setting. We went on the ghost tour, which provided a wonderful history of the hotel and was also lots of fun. I captured a picture of an orb during the tour, and others after the tour in our room later that evening. We stayed in room 428. It was very quiet - I don't think anybody else was on the 4th floor except for us. I was not frightened staying there. If there are ghosts that inhabit this hotel, they are there because they love it so much that they don't want to leave. I can't blame them for that!

Before going to the Stanley, I read other reviews that it was rather loud and creaky. Yes it is an old hotel, and the floors creak, but we had quite the opposite experience. It was extremely quiet and we both slept sound - maybe because we were on the top floor.

This was a wonderful experience and I would highly recommend it to other travelers! I only wish that we could have stayed another day or two. It was the highlight of our entire vacation!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Hutchinson, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We recently stayed at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado. We enjoyed seeing the
hotel and taking the history tour. We stayed in the rooms on both sides of the room that
was the inspiration for the Shining. No Ghosts!! The hotel lacks air conditioning but was
comfortable with the windows open. We woke up in the morning the the sounds of Elk.
I felt like I was in an episode of Northern Exposure with the Elk walking through town and grazing in peoples yards. Definately worth the trip.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Stanley Hotel? Share your experiences!