“A Beautiful Place - We will be back!” 5 of 5 stars

Stanley Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   333 Wonderview Ave, Estes Park, CO 80517   |
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Estes Park
Austin, Texas
“A Beautiful Place - We will be back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We spent my 50th birthday at the Stanley this year, it was quite a treat! The day we got there, they were refurnishing all of the rooms, so we had to wait to register into our room, but the hotel staff made up for it by upgrading us to a King room on the 4th floor. It was very nice, brand new bed, with beautiful furnishings.

The entire experience was excellent. We had dinner in the Steamer's Restaurant - it was good, but a little pricey. Regardless, we went there for the experience, so expected to pay a little exra. The overall hotel is a work of art, nestled in a beautiful setting. We went on the ghost tour, which provided a wonderful history of the hotel and was also lots of fun. I captured a picture of an orb during the tour, and others after the tour in our room later that evening. We stayed in room 428. It was very quiet - I don't think anybody else was on the 4th floor except for us. I was not frightened staying there. If there are ghosts that inhabit this hotel, they are there because they love it so much that they don't want to leave. I can't blame them for that!

Before going to the Stanley, I read other reviews that it was rather loud and creaky. Yes it is an old hotel, and the floors creak, but we had quite the opposite experience. It was extremely quiet and we both slept sound - maybe because we were on the top floor.

This was a wonderful experience and I would highly recommend it to other travelers! I only wish that we could have stayed another day or two. It was the highlight of our entire vacation!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (574)
Hutchinson, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We recently stayed at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado. We enjoyed seeing the
hotel and taking the history tour. We stayed in the rooms on both sides of the room that
was the inspiration for the Shining. No Ghosts!! The hotel lacks air conditioning but was
comfortable with the windows open. We woke up in the morning the the sounds of Elk.
I felt like I was in an episode of Northern Exposure with the Elk walking through town and grazing in peoples yards. Definately worth the trip.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

What a great place to spent the night. The staff treated us exceptionally well, the room was wonderful, and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. A hearty thanks to the folks at the Stanley for an excellent birthday surprise for my wife!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Bangor, UK.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

Setting was perfect. Hotel is recently renovated and very comfortable. Atmosphere is relaxed; service excellent. Food was surprisingly good, and service again spot-on. We had a marvelous relaxing couple of days in between busy business trips. I would come back and invite all my friends and family.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

My sisters and I stayed at The Stanley for a night this past week. Everything was perfect. Grounds were pristine, staff was perfect in every way, food was great and we came home with a few ghost stories and caught one in a picture. It was everything we expected and we are planning another trip up after Christmas with the rest of the family! Thank you Stanley!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

The staff was incredible, I've never seen that level of hospitality. A big thank you to the front desk team and Maryanne in the dining room.

I come to the Stanley every year with a group of girlfriends and the hotel just keeps getting better and better. All 4 of our rooms had been redone from last year.

I can't wait to come back and bring my Grandchildren as the staff told me that the hotel is starting fire engine rides around town.

Thank you to the entire team for another great visit.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

We stayed at the Stanley because we heard it had been the inspiration for Stephen King's novel, The Shining. Estes Park is not entirely easy to get to....it's about 1 1/2 from Denver but the drive is just gorgeous. If you are looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life, this is THE place to do it. The town is very charming, although most restaurants and shops close at 9pm/10pm, so it doesn't have a lot of night life (which was just fine with us). The hotel, keep in mind, was built in the early 1900's and while I think they do a tremendous job of trying to keep it comfortable and VERY clean, it is still very old. A little musty; a LOT of weddings happening; a LOT of tourists visiting the hotel all hours of the day and night; but very charming stay and probably one of the best hotels Estes Park has to offer. That said, it was a pricey stay. The restaurant was also a little pricey -- we only had lunch there -- but the food was very good. This wasn't my favorite type of vacation and I don't think I would go back.

Room Tip: The rooms on 4th floor seemed warmer than rest.