“Great basic hotel, great price!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rocky Mountain Park Inn

You added Rocky Mountain Park Inn to your Saves list
Rocky Mountain Park Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   101 South Saint Vrain Ave, PO Box 1468, Estes Park, CO 80517   |
Ranked #23 of 30 Hotels in Estes Park
“Great basic hotel, great price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

This hotel is no frills, and hasn't been updated in decades. But if you are like me, then you just want your hotel as a place to crash after a busy fun day! The location is great to both the rest of town, and easy to make a quick escape. The rooms are clean, smell fresh and the pool area is big with a nice hot tub. The staff behind the counter were so nice and helpful. Would definitely go back for the great value!

• Stayed November 2011
, General Manager at Rocky Mountain Park Inn, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
Hello:

Thank you for your feedback. I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay and our tremendous value! Our hotel was fully renovated just seven years ago, with very good public area updates just last year. All rooms have new 32" LCD TV's and our hot tub is also new. Of the three full service hotels in town, we are by far the most reasonable, we're air-conditioned, offer free wi-fi, interior corridors, no deposits and easy cancellation policy, free wine and beer each afternoon, and include a $20 breakfast credit with each direct booking. No other lodging in town can match us!

Hope to see you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Oakdale, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Good location for access to most of Estes Park and the Rockies. Got this hotel on Hotwire, a decent price there. Although I would not have been happy if I had paid full price, it needs quite a bit of improvement. Lobby was clean and had a nice fireplace, the bar was to the left and the restaurant to the right. Did use the bar area for happy hour, to me, the free wine and beer was ok, what do you want for nothing? They also had nightly drink specials, thanks again to one of the bartenders for giving my granddaughter a glass of juice for her "cocktail", a good customer service touch. I must comment that I was not happy with check-in. Although I knew that official check-in time was 4 pm, (rather late to be honest), I had flown into DIA that morning from MN., then drove to Estes, and had tried to check-in around 1 pm. I was told to come back later, even though there were folks checking in right in front of me and as I turned around to leave, others were allowed to check-in behind me. What? I sincerely felt that it was because they knew that I had gotten the hotel through Hotwire. Let me say that I have used that site for years to book various properties and have never had this happen before. I did come back an hour later, and after almost begging for a room, got one. As stated by others, the AC was very noisy and w/o it, the room was stuffy. I was in Bldg. 3, no elevator for that bldg, most inconvenient. Also no AC in the hallways and it was very hot during my 3 day stay. My room was good sized, nice big bathroom with wonderful bath products, also a small coffee pot with Wolfgang Puck coffee pack, not bad. Additional, coffee in the lobby in the a.m. A cash machine, lots of brochures, etc. on area activities, 2 computers and a printer in the lobby. 2 or 3 different types of rooms are offered, don't remember the details though, sorry. There is an additional charge for a small frig and rollaway. I would stay here again if the price was right, but this property definitely needs to install central AC, and update their public areas. Some of the housekeeping staff did a wonderful job, others absolutely need more training. This property is owned and managed by Forever Resorts, a company based in Scottsdale, AZ. Bottom line in my review is price was good, great location for all activities and close to town, shopping is mostly touristy things, a grocery store just minutes away.

Room Tip: If you don't or can't do steps, do not stay in bldg. 3. One elevator only is in bldg. 2, (I...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, General Manager at Rocky Mountain Park Inn, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Hello:

Thank you for your feedback. I apolgize for not being able to get you in early upon your arrival. At this time of the year, we are near 100% occupancy every night like other area properties, so we must wait for rooms to be vacated to begin working in them. Since most folks are here on vacation, there's no hurry to leave early! Another guest may have been able to check in early due to their room type being available. We have seven different room types. Glad you enjoyed the free reception and the overall value of your stay!

Please visit us again soon!

Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

The hotel and conference center is pretty basic, but you have easy access to Estes Park and only 90 minutes from Denver International Airport. The "free" beer and wine in the afternoon was a nice touch, but starting at 3;30 and ending at 5:00 made it a little inaccessible. Staff was very helpful and friendly. There are lots of good, fun places to eat nearby. Beds were comfy!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Hello:

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing to stay with us, one of only three full-service hotels in Estes Park, and by the far the most economical of the three. We've updated all of our pubic areas just last year with new carpeting and wall treatments added 32" LCD TV's to all of our guestrooms, and added a new 10 person whirlpool. We offer free wi-fi, free $20 breakfast credit and Estes Park's latest check out time when booking directly with us, as well as Estes Park's only summer afternoon beer and wine reception - all free! Hope to see you again soon!

Wakefield, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We've been slowly making our way through Colorado with our heads hanging out the car window, staring at every big and beautiful mountain-valley-stream-forest in every direction. We picked Estes Park as a great stopping point between Boulder and Summit County, and booked our room directly the Rocky Mountain Park Inn website to take advantage of their deal to get a $20 breakfast voucher, and because they have same-day-by-6pm cancellation policy. Oh yeah, and the pool looked awesome.

The website was quick and easy to reserve a room that same morning, $145 total including fees and taxes, and checkin was fast and friendly, especially because the manager on duty jumped out to help. The lobby has a warm, classic feel; staff was friendly. There are a couple entrances -we had to go back out and go into a side entrance that didn't have automatic doors and was actually a little annoying trying get our bags through.

The room was clean and comfy and smelled great, including the bathroom. We requested not a 1st floor room (pets are allowed in 1st floor rooms only). We didn't like the litte square pillows that lots of hotels are starting to use now, and the lack of a thermostat on the wall to control the AC unit (had to guess with the knobs, got up in the middle of the night because we were freezing, etc...) Maybe it was a little cramped. But the room was quiet. We all slept like logs. Free WIFI, expanded cable.

The pool was indoors and big and great for the kids. I had trouble getting them out. I sat at one of the tables, put my feet up, and played on my ipad (hotel wifi was a little week in the pool area). Breakfast was standard fare, with scrambled "eggs" and bacon, sausage, pancakes, etc. Breads, bagels, english muffins. No cereal, or yogurt, or waffle maker, however, the things my kids like to eat. We used the free vouchers for adult buffett but still had to pay for the kids buffett. Coffee was fantastic. Without the vouchers, however, I'm pretty sure we'd probably just find a place in the fabulous downtown area a mile or so away.

Yes the hotel is dated, there's no denying it. It made me appreciate modern conveniences of new hotels (like thermostats to control room temp), but we had a clean, comfortable night's stay with mountains out the windows and a big, fun pool for the kids.

Estes Park is really great. Lots of restaurants and shopping and things to do, and there are mountains in every direction, Rocky Mountain National Park entrance right up the street. This east coast family had fun hiking, exploring, shopping, and swimming, and we were able to get a good, restful night's sleep.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Hello:

Thank you for your feedback! We're glad you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us! I'm glad you enjoyed the free $20 breakfast buffet credit from simply booking a qualifying rate directly through us! Our pool is the largest and deepest in Estes Park, and being indoors, it's available to our guests in all sorts of weather. I'm glad Fido was able to make the trip with you!

Thank you very much and we hope to see you again very soon!
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

This is a very basic 2-2.5 star motel, nothing more and I definitely wouldn’t recommend it to my friends or stay there again.

First, the positives about this place: good location to the park and to downtown Estes Park (shops and restaurants); good size rooms, pretty comfortable beds.

Unfortunately the negatives far outweigh the positives. The air conditioner is so incredibly loud; it’s like having a jet liner in your room. If you turn the AC off then it becomes too stuffy, even at night, so it’s impossible to get a good night’s sleep.

The housekeeping is very poor and the management doesn’t care about that at all. On the day we were there we left before 9 and returned after 3 to get some rest and were planning go out again exploring the park. This plan fell through because the housekeeping still hasn’t been to our room yet and only came after my husband called the front desk. When I complained about housekeeping being late and our plans for the rest of the day completely messed up the very rude and surly front desk manager blew me off, saying we have a lot of rooms to clean and the housekeeping starts at the 1st floor and they are very thorough so that’s why it took so long to get to our room (we were on the 3rd floor). Yet, somehow other hotels manage to get to your room before the end of the day. And as for being thorough, that’s just not true, the only thing that the 2 guys did was make our beds and leave some fresh towels. They didn’t even touch the table with the coffee-maker on it where we spilled a tiny amount of sugar and didn’t replenish the paper coffee cups, so much for being thorough!

When I called the general manager to voice my concerns about the housekeeping and the loud AC, I was transferred to his voice mail and never heard back. So it doesn’t surprise me that the front desk manager was rude to me.

There’s too much emphasis at this hotel on being “green” and not enough on quality of service and cleanliness. Their so-called green toilet paper and tissue feel like tree bark, and if you are so clean, why are there plastic and paper cups instead of regular glasses? The water pressure is pretty poor too.

The pool is smack in the middle of the hotel, indoors and it’s very hot in that area, in fact all hallways are hot as their no central AC at this hotel and there's no elevator (at least we haven't found one), so you have to lug your suitcases up the stairs. You have to pass by the pool going to your room and it reeks of chlorine and moisture. The whole hotel smells badly, in fact. It smells like an old apartment building would smell, of all carpets and decay.

The bar looks like something of 1980s, all outdated dark paneling and very poor lighting. They have “free” happy hour from 3 to 5, it’s just a cup of very cheap bear (plastic cup again) or a glass of cheap wine.

The breakfast buffet is $10 and it’s pretty poor too, we looked at it and walked right out, the only kind of eggs they had were sad looking scrambled eggs. We drove to a place called The Egg and I, just 2 minutes from the hotel, where you can get your breakfast prepared freshly for you for about the same price or less.

I guess this hotel doesn’t really care about the guests being happy or satisfied with their stay because Estes Park is such a popular destination and there aren’t that many quality accommodations there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Rocky Mountain Park Inn, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Hello:

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry I missed your call and that you were sincerely unhappy with your entire vist to Estes including another restaurant downtown. I will be sure to address the fixable issues you encountered. Regarding your a/c, if there is a problem , please let someone know and we'd be happy to fix it or move you to a more accomodating room. Like most hotels, housekeeping cleans between 8 & 4pm. I'm unsure how this ruined your entire day when you were away for most of it, but I'm glad someone came right up when you called. Our green paper products cost nearly twice as much as the virgin products you prefer and their quality is terrifc for most folks. Our water pressure is controlled by city services but is excellent and the shower head is a high quality Moen fixture that can be adjusted to suit your personal preference for pressure and stream. The indoor pool is centrally located and is the only one of its size and depth in Estes, and our hall carpeting is barely one year old. The elevator is at the end of the hall. Our restaurant was renovated in 2005 and lacks the dark paneling you write of. You were even unhappy with FREE Budweiser, Bud Light and our selection of Oak Creek wines that are bottomless from 3:30-5pm in our recycled cups. You were also unwilling to try our selection of 10+ buffet items that come FREE with your room rate. On your next visit, you might try one of the other two full service hotels in town as they only run $100 or more per night, and they lack any of our freebies and green qualites that you don't seem to prefer.

Chapin, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I got this hotel bidding on priceline. Got 2 nights for a reasonable price. Hotel had lots of parking and a great pool and hot tub. Overall decor was kind of outdated but I really don't hold that very high in my ratings. What is important is that rooms are clean which they were. Hotel was also walking distance to main drag in town to discover your choice of food. I would recommend this place to anyone needing a place to stay in Estes Park.

Room Tip: I bid $68 on priceline to get room,
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Rocky Mountain Park Inn, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Hello:

Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, escpecially the value and our room cleanliness! We have a very hardworking staff that works to exceed guest expectations each and every day. Please be sure to come back and visit us again soon!

Thornton, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

It is very difficult to book a hotel under 21, & even more difficult to get the same service as others because of our age. After a lot of effort to look for a nice and affordable hotel in Estes Park, I settled on RMPI. I was a little wary because, our party of 3 was made up of 20 year olds. The very friendly lady at the front desk had us sign and confirm that we won't do any damage to the property or have a party. However, after doing that our experience was great. The staff was extremely friendly and even the other guests we talked to seemed very happy with their reservation. We booked the room one night on our way to Steamboat. The room was nice and quiet however I wish they could've been cleaner.(Keep in mind that I am a clean freak.) A couple of rooms overlook the indoor pool, so make sure you ask about noise in those rooms or those might be a good choice for guests with children. I will definitely recommend to anyone traveling to Estes Park & will book again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Hello:

Thank you for you feedback. I'm pleased that you were able to secure accomodations with us with minimal fuss. Our reservation process is also the most liberal in Estes Park, with no deposits required, 6pm day of arrival cancellation policy, and no credit card needed to reserve a room. Booking directly via our hotel also includes a free $20 daily breakfast credit for use in our lobby restaurant, Longz Mountain Grill. Come back next summer when you turn 21 and you can enjoy our free afternoon beer and wine reception, too!

We hope to see you again on your next trip to Estes!

Thank you!

Been to Rocky Mountain Park Inn? Share your experiences!