“Peaceful and just out-of-the-way enough!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rocky Mountain Park Inn

Save Saved
You added Rocky Mountain Park Inn to your Saves list
Rocky Mountain Park Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   101 South Saint Vrain Ave, PO Box 1468, Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO 80517   |
Ranked #20 of 29 hotels in Estes Park
Bryan, Texas
“Peaceful and just out-of-the-way enough!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

We stayed for five nights and while the place may be a little dated, the decor is the rustic, Rocky Mountain style that you want when visiting Estes Park. The staff was wonderful. Check-in was abreeze and the desk manager gave us great recommendations on restaurants that we had not tried. she also was up-to-date on traffic, road closures, park attendance...perfect! At breakfast, the staff was again attentive and welcoming. The eveing happy hour was not almost empty, so the bartender gave us his full attention.

The hotel is close enough to walk into downtown Estes and that is the best way to get around as traffic gets dense at peak times. We had a beautiful view from our room, the pool was perfectly heated, but the hot tub seemed just a tad warm the first day. The rest of the trip, it was the perfect spot to unwind after our day's excursions.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor to see over the surrounding rooftops.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
rockymtnpark, General Manager at Rocky Mountain Park Inn, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
Hello:

Thank you very much for your warm review and especially for recognizing a truly wonderful staff member. It is always heartwarming when a member of our hotel family is recognized for a job well done! We hope to see you again soon!

232 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Littleton, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

We stayed at the Rocky Mountain Park Inn for our anniversary. It was just a few days before Memorial Day weekend, but the hotel was pretty empty. They put us in a room in a completely empty hall behind the main hotel. It was quiet and creepy. No one else ever parked in the lot in the back where we entered to get to our room. I thought they isolated us because of our dog. Then I saw someone in the main building going into their room with a dog. We were far from everything in the hotel (pool, lobby, restaurant, ice machine). The hallways constantly smelled of burnt plastic.

The Rocky Mountain Park Inn is far too expensive for what they offer. The rooms are old and out of date. The staff is idiotic. Never stay there!

The day we were checking out I noticed a charge from them on my incidentals credit card. I had prepaid for the room months in advance. I immediately asked the front desk rep what the charges were for. She and the manager spent at least 20 minutes and couldn't find the charge anywhere in their system. They said they simply didn't charge me. The money was gone from my account and the charge had their name on it. I showed them this on my online banking website. I even had someone from my bank speak with them on the phone. It didn't matter. They couldn't locate the charge anywhere in their system. So I went home missing almost $200.

I made repeated calls to the hotel's general manager and front desk manager. Neither of them ever answered their phones. I left message after message over the next week. No one ever returned my calls.

Finally I got in touch with the woman who handles the finances of the hotel. After a few hours or researching she called me back and informed me that someone else's room had been charged to my card. I was appalled! How could they make such a huge mistake? There was no apology, or any offer to do anything but refund the money. I shared my disgust with her, and left another message for the general manager. Neither of them cared at all. I never did hear from the general manager. It took 16 days for my money to be returned to my account.

DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
rockymtnpark, General Manager at Rocky Mountain Park Inn, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
Hello:

You were placed in a first floor room as we generously allow pets to vacation with their families in first floor rooms. We admit that an authorization was placed on your card by mistake and it was not corrected the day it was brought to our attention, as more research was necessary by another department, but it was corrected in a very timely fashion by accounting with no detriment to your account. You received multiple apologies and quick phone calls back.

Fleet
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

The hotel had changed from being a Holiday Inn to Forever Resorts in February 2011. The room was quite large with a king size bed, in-room coffee, an armchair and a desk. No fridge, which I had expected fopr the price. The bathroom was clean and tidy with a shower in a bath, a hairdryer and complimentary lotion, shampoo, bath gel and a large bar of soap. There was an iron and ironing board in the room. The TV was a modern LG LCD with lots of channels including HBO and Speed. The indoor swimming pool is open to the corridor to the conference centre and the corridor between the accommodation block and the lobby and the fitness room was next door at the back of the complex and had around eight different pieces of equipment.

The family next door were quite noisy, both with talking and a crying baby, but they did eventually quieten down so that I could go to sleep. They weren't there the second night, so that was much better.

Breakfast wasn't included, there was a restaurant in the lobby.

Location is just out of the town, so walkable but quite a distance from Estes Park Brewery.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Hello:

Thank you for your kind feedback! On your next stay, please keep in mind that we are staffed around-the-clock and are happy to address any issues you may encounter, or even change rooms at any time of the day or night to accomodate you, but I'm happy the neighbors quieted down for you in good time. We hope to see you again soon!

Sioux City, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Dark, dirty, and loud. We only stayed here one night and that was enough. Check out time was 11am. and housekeeping knocked on our door 3 times before we left at 9am., people were in the halls till late at night talking and being loud, the room was old and not very clean, and the halls were dingy and dark. For the price you can stay some where else better.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
rockymtnpark, General Manager at Rocky Mountain Park Inn, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
Hello:

Thank you for your feedback. I imagine you stayed with us over Scottish Fest weekend and we were the only hotel without a minimum night's stay, allowing you to come for only one night and not the required 2-3 of other establishments in town. If noise is ever a problem, especially on a big-drinking weekend such as Scottish Fest, we are staffed 24/7 and are happy to locate and solve any issues you find. If you compare our rooms to the top-rated motel on TripAdvisor, you will notice our rooms are not so old and include a brand new 32" LCD TV, all new bedding and mattresses in the past three years, furniture from 2005, and our hallways have been fully renovated this spring with brand new carpeting and bright paint. I respectfully disagree that housekeeping knocked on your door three times before 9am as the department begins working at 8:30am. Using your "Do Not Disturb" sign is fantastic way to ensure you are not bothered too early at any lodging property you might visit.

Thank You and I hope you otherwise enjoyed your time in Estes Park.
Sierra Vista, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

We stayed here three nights. Yes, the views are not good with massive power lines and rooftops. The room was okay. Dated carpeting. When we return we will stay elsewhere as there are dozens of better options for the price.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Hello:

Thank you for your feedback. You are correct that we do not advertise ourselves as a "view" hotel, but rather one that has numerous amenities that are offered all year-round that only one or two others in town may have. Our indoor pool is the largest and deepest in town and this year's upgrades including brand new LCD TV's, brand new 10 person whirlpool, and brand new carpeting will not be found at other EP locations. Our reservation policies are the most liberal in town with no minimum stays, no credit card needed for reservation, and never an advanced deposit required. We also price ourselves at or below the chain motor lodges in town, though we offer numerous more year-round amenites and the safety and quiet from auto noise with our interior corridors and in-town location.

We thank you for your stay with us as we know you have many lodging options.

Elgin, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed 2 nights. The very first thing we noticed as we drove up was the HIGH TENSION POWER LINES just out side the hotel going across the parking lot. WAY TOO CLOSE FOR MY COMFORT! I would have canceled my stay except it was a Friday and Sat nite in Estes Park during peak travel season.
Our room was smelly and musty I reported this to the front desk and a woman replied "We dont get that complaint too often" yea because they get so many other complaints. I would not stay here again. The staff ws not too helpful. A man with a young child was waiting in line a the reception desk and a woman walked up and instead of a greeting was told "I cannot help you" nice way to welcome a guest.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
rockymtnpark, General Manager at Rocky Mountain Park Inn, responded to this review, September 8, 2011
Hello :

Thank you for your feedback. You are correct that power lines cross our parking area, as we are located across from Estes Park's historic power plant across the street on Lake Estes, just outside of downtown. There are views of the lines throughout the valley. I apologize for the problem you reported regarding your room, however, it seems it was taken care of to your satisfaction that evening, and the person you mentioned at check in was a member of another department. We've asked other departments to avoid the front desk counter computers to avoid future confusion. We certainly hope you otherwise enjoyed your stay in Estes Park.

Glide, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

No, this is not a luxury hotel. But it never claims to be one! It is an older hotel with some nice upgrades, clean rooms, and friendly staff. Get a great rate on hotwire and you will jump for joy at the great deal. Much nicer than an old motor lodge or something like that. Nice views of the mountains, quick drive to downtown with easy parking (even on labor day weekend), and a great pool/recreation area for families. I would stay here again!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Hello:

Thank you very much for noticing our upgrades, numerous amenities, and terrific location! I hope you enjoyed all that Estes has to offer while you were here!

Been to Rocky Mountain Park Inn? Share your experiences!