“definitely not an International standard hostel, friendly owner though” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Estes Park Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Estes Park Hostel
You added Estes Park Hostel to your Saves list
211 Cleave Street, P.O. Box 1355, Estes Park, CO 80517   |
San Luis Obispo, California
“definitely not an International standard hostel, friendly owner though”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We are used to hostels in Europe and Mexico, which generally provide a clean, simple, efficient standard. This hostel was something else... more of a laid back, open-house feel. Our room was attached to the common bathroom, and so, it was noisey. The mattress was rather old and sagging, and the floor was thick in dust and collectibles under the bed (no one cleaning properly -- I swept under the bed). Rooms did not have design features to accommodate backpack travellers with hanging and laying packs out. The lock on the door was not installed properly, and I remedied that, and there was a hole in the floor (from unfinished repair? and mostly covered with a piece of furniture). We left after one night. This having been said, the owner was friendly and flexible, but running this does not seem her first vocation. She is a professional in another field. The cost was cheaper than other motel options in town. And, the location was just off the downtown scene, making for easy access. The facility felt just too run down for our tastes.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Longmont, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Somehow I was not sure that I was ready for a camp ground. But I was certain that a hostel is always a great place for me. And this hostel is a right place for me to get ready for the Rocky Mountains by myself.

I traveled by myself to many cities in the states and in some cities in European countries. Hostels or B&Bs in the US are a bit different from EU countries. You can get whatever you want for basic requirements, for sure it is not like a five star hotel. This place is a small place, literally in downtown that fits all my requirements in affordability and accessibility. I got a private room upstairs, next to the cozy balcony where we enjoyed a small talk and a full moon night in summer- such a pleasant night. Terri is a wonderful host and easy-going lady. I would love to com back more often.

Room Tip: ask for a private bed room upstairs if you come with friends or family.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
usa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Let me qualify my review by saying that I didn't actually stay here--I reserved a room for two and, when I saw it and the general state of the hostel, I left. I've stayed in hostels across Europe and after reading the reviews here thought this place might be in the same league. I was sorely mistaken.

I find it hard to believe this place has garnered such praise. Terri and I emailed and talked before my visit and I'll give her points for being flexible: she was willing to let us stay shortly after she closed for the season. We never met but I've got to believe she's a nice lady. And the location is just blocks off the main drag--it's well situated.

But the actual facility was sub-par. Subpar as in the sink wasn't working in the small kitchen. Nor were both bathrooms working. It was dark and dirty. The vibe is more of an off-campus undergraduate apartment where four guys live and nobody's cleaned up since midterms; perhaps that's because it was at the end of the season. The bathroom I saw was filty, tiles missing, and the toilet so close to the wall one has to navigate one's business nearly sidesaddle.

My friend and I sat in the room for a few minutes, I apologized for having given him his first taste of hostel travel here, and we carried our stuff straight out. I left a note and $5 for the owner to pay for whatever long distance charges she may have incurred as we made arrangements.

You can do better. You won't do cheaper, but in this case you get what you pay for--in spades.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
East Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I've stayed at hostels before and for those who haven't this may be helpful. Estes Park Hostel is a nice property with both a womens dorm (1st floor), and a mens dorm. I am reviewing the mens dorm which had approx 6 rooms, one of which is a 4 person double bunk bed room. Paul the manager was welcoming and showed us around town the first night. There were other guest at the hostel and they came and went as did I. This hostel was very conscious of noise when it was after 10pm and never did I have an issue getting to bed.

Estes park downtown area is a 2-3 minute walk from the hostel which is a great advantage but also to not have the considerable road noise and pedestrian traffic to contend with. Free overnight parking in one of two lots.

The guest were mixed ages 20-45 and nice people. I felt that my items were safe even in an unlocked common area.

Private rooms have locks.

I would love to go back and would only stay here.

Room Tip: The sun porch room is noisier than the others since people like to sit on the patio which has a door...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

The hostel was great! Right in downtown area so everything is a very short walk away. And if you do need to drive somewhere it is not a far distance. The hostel was very clean and the manager, Paul, was laid back and welcoming. If I ever make it back to Estes Park I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

My husband and I have stayed withTerri for several years. She is wonderful and makes us feel at home. The location is outstanding and very close to downtown and the park. We will stay there when we go to Estes now and years from now!

• Stayed July 2011
Manitou Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

Terri is one of the most gracious hostel owners around! The hostel is well taken care of and considering it is the off-season it was more than we expected. No frills, nothing too fancy, but if you wanna stay in Estes on the cheap and be able to walk everywhere this is your place! The fridge worked, the stove and oven were great, the free WiFi (although not needed) was connected. There are plenty of books and games to occupy your time, a nice big patio with comfy couches. Two bathrooms and several bedrooms to choose from. We brought our own bedding, but they have some provided as well as towels. As with all hostels clean up after yourself and be respectful to the owners and neighbors. We were the only folks there that night which made it very nice, but i bet in the summer it can get bustling. p.s. pet friendly! (always check before to make sure guidelines haven't changed)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Estes Park Hostel? Share your experiences!