“Really?” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Estes Park Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Estes Park Hostel
You added Estes Park Hostel to your Saves list
211 Cleave Street, P.O. Box 1355, Estes Park, CO 80517   |
usa
“Really?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Let me qualify my review by saying that I didn't actually stay here--I reserved a room for two and, when I saw it and the general state of the hostel, I left. I've stayed in hostels across Europe and after reading the reviews here thought this place might be in the same league. I was sorely mistaken.

I find it hard to believe this place has garnered such praise. Terri and I emailed and talked before my visit and I'll give her points for being flexible: she was willing to let us stay shortly after she closed for the season. We never met but I've got to believe she's a nice lady. And the location is just blocks off the main drag--it's well situated.

But the actual facility was sub-par. Subpar as in the sink wasn't working in the small kitchen. Nor were both bathrooms working. It was dark and dirty. The vibe is more of an off-campus undergraduate apartment where four guys live and nobody's cleaned up since midterms; perhaps that's because it was at the end of the season. The bathroom I saw was filty, tiles missing, and the toilet so close to the wall one has to navigate one's business nearly sidesaddle.

My friend and I sat in the room for a few minutes, I apologized for having given him his first taste of hostel travel here, and we carried our stuff straight out. I left a note and $5 for the owner to pay for whatever long distance charges she may have incurred as we made arrangements.

You can do better. You won't do cheaper, but in this case you get what you pay for--in spades.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

The hostel was great! Right in downtown area so everything is a very short walk away. And if you do need to drive somewhere it is not a far distance. The hostel was very clean and the manager, Paul, was laid back and welcoming. If I ever make it back to Estes Park I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

My husband and I have stayed withTerri for several years. She is wonderful and makes us feel at home. The location is outstanding and very close to downtown and the park. We will stay there when we go to Estes now and years from now!

• Stayed July 2011
Manitou Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

Terri is one of the most gracious hostel owners around! The hostel is well taken care of and considering it is the off-season it was more than we expected. No frills, nothing too fancy, but if you wanna stay in Estes on the cheap and be able to walk everywhere this is your place! The fridge worked, the stove and oven were great, the free WiFi (although not needed) was connected. There are plenty of books and games to occupy your time, a nice big patio with comfy couches. Two bathrooms and several bedrooms to choose from. We brought our own bedding, but they have some provided as well as towels. As with all hostels clean up after yourself and be respectful to the owners and neighbors. We were the only folks there that night which made it very nice, but i bet in the summer it can get bustling. p.s. pet friendly! (always check before to make sure guidelines haven't changed)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Krakow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

Estes Park Hostel is situated behind the main downtown street of Estes Park, which is a nice little town in Colorado. The Hostel is beneficial to those who can not afford some of the lodging in Estes Park, as it is very, very expensive during the summer, as tourists pack the town. I found this place and was amazed at the price, they have Dorm Beds for $25/night, Private / Double rooms as well.

The set up is like most Hostels, you clean up after yourself, sleep, then hike or view the sites during the day or just sit around. It is quiet and the people staying here were nice and friendly. There is a kitchen, good for cooking your own cheap meals (rice, pasta, meat, etc), pots/pans, etc, a Refrigerator, Microwave, are to be found. Rooms are basic and yet quite comfortable. Two bathrooms are in the top of the building, Towels provided. No Air Conditioned Rooms since it's quite nice and cool at that altitude. Fans are around though.

The area is very safe, as is the town. There is a free shuttle bus that runs in town to certain places, which is helpful. Most places to eat are for tourists so they aren't that good and are expensive. A few small groceries in area, Casa Del Sol Y Luna was good to buy cheap rice, pasta, shampoo, etc. Chinese food (Good Fortune Chinese Restaurant - Chinese restaurant located across from the Holiday Inn) was barely passable as well.

I enjoyed staying 3 weeks here and had no problems at all, the owner was especially warm, friendly and helpful. Great place for budget options in Estes Park.

Stayed July 2007