“Fabulous & Entertaining Tour” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #25 of 47 Activities in Estes Park
Petaluma, California
33 attraction reviews
“Fabulous & Entertaining Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We booked the normal tour of the Stanley Hotel as we were staying quite a distance away and the weather was bad and we knew we had a long drive back to our camp site in Kremmling, otherwise we would have booked the ghost tour. We ate a little lunch in the restaurant and then we went on the tour. It was simply fabulous. The hotel itself is gorgeous and the tour was informative and fascinating. We had two of our grandchildren with us and they were not frightened, even though there was plenty of information given about the hauntings of the hotel. I highly recommend this tour and next time, we will plan things differently and take the ghost tour.

Visited July 2013
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel Tour, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Thanks for the comments about the hotel and tour. I am glad to hear you were able to have fun and enjoy the Stanley Tour! We hope you do find your way back up to take the Ghost Tour in the future!

Jesse Freitas

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
San Francisco, CA
“Enjoyable Diversion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We were in Estes Park for a wedding just after access was opened to the town after the horrific floods and the closure of RMNP (due to our government shutting down). Since we had an afternoon to see the sights before the wedding and many things were closed down, we decided to take the Stanley Hotel tour. The tour was thoroughly enjoyable and and the guide was excellent. Plenty of time to take pictures of a really remarkable place.
Add to that the stories of it's "ghostly" side and it made for a fun and interesting afternoon. And maybe a ghost sighting (see photo).

Visited October 2013
Thanks for the comments about your tour. Glad you had some fun and were able to get a good photo! We hope to see you back at the Stanley Hotel in the future.

Jesse Freitas

Guest Services Manager
Savannah, Georgia
61 attraction reviews
“Don't Miss It!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

At first, I was a little unsure about touring the Stanley. Booking my tour was a bit difficult and the guy I was speaking to was hardly helpful. He hung up on me, put me on hold for 10 mins with no apology, then finally took my information when I called back yet again. I was concerned I would be treated like a nuisance at the hotel, but that was not the case. When I arrived, the two ladies at the front desk were friendly and inviting. One of them, Hannah, turned out to be the tour guide. She is very clearly a big fan of the hotel and is very knowledgable as to its history, architecture, and its many spooky tales. The tour went on for over an hour, but I was never bored. If you're even slightly interested in the Stanley Hotel or the Shining, this is a must in the Estes Park area.

Denver, Colorado
3 attraction reviews
“Fun tour and lot's of history”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Originally, we wanted to do the ghost tour but they were doing them for another week. So we booked the normal tour, which to our surprise still included a lot of information on hauntings at the hotel. The hotel is gorgeous and I don't know what they are pumping through the air system, but smells like flowers everywhere. Learning a bit of history through this tour definitely made our stay in Estes more special.

Michigan
15 attraction reviews
“If you are in the area, it's worth the $5”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Kids and wife wanted to see the place, so we drove by before heading to the park for the day. At the gate, we asked the attendant if we could just turn around in front. He said that was fine, but that for $5 parking fee, we could park and walk around through the lobby and lower level. We did and were glad we did. It was nice to see the inside and the grounds up close. They have a few movie artifacts around and a little museum that was closed when we went. There was a nice gift shop where my wife started asking the cashier about The Shining. I assumed they would be so sick of that question by now, but the woman talked to her for several minutes giving her all kinds of facts and tidbits. So if you were a fan of the movie or the TV mini-series, definitely spend the few bucks to park and walk around.

Visited June 2013