“Great experience horseback riding at National Park Gateway” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 24 Attractions in Estes Park
Type: Horseback Riding Stables, Outdoors
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Great experience horseback riding at National Park Gateway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Just recently a friend and I went to National Park Gateway for a 4 hour horseback ride near Estes Park. My friend and I were lucky enough to catch the early morning 8 AM start time and so it was just her, I and our guide Chelsea. Thank you Chelsea for a scenic and safe ride through some amazing terrain. The ride and the conversation during our 4 hours was memorable. Chelsea is a great asset to the business and I hope she is recognized for her tremendous riding and people skills.

Omaha, Nebraska
3 attraction reviews
“What a trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Went up alluvial fan to Mt. Yupsilon. I tried to tell guilde my horse had problem-yep, an 8 hr trip and a bad shoe's a problem. The guide walked the remainder up, and all the way down so I could ride his guidehorse & he walked my horse down. I tried to get him to let me walk for awhile-wouldnt hear of it. Poor guy! Yes, they should of checked the health & what not of the horses, but who is say when and why it became loose initially. I'm sure it was not the guide's fault, not mine, and I'm not one to blame everyone but me. It is a reality of life that things happen beyond anyone's control. I, unlike a lot of otehr people, "get it". I refuse to give this place a bad name because of this issue I know no details about. Unlike some other people on this site..

Visited November 2011
New Haven, Connecticut
“Helpful interesting trail ride”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Good experience for novice riders. Friendly and knowledgeable guides, calm horses, and a just right two-hour ride

Denver, Colorado
“Spectacular!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

National Park Stables Cowpoke Corner Corral's trail ride is the best "thing to do" in Estes Park! The trail ride is definitely worth the money. My husband and I are not frequent horseback riders and we were very apprehensive about taking our 6 year old granddaughter on this excursion. Our worries melted away as soon as we arrived at the stables this week. Ashley had our horses well prepared and waiting for us. Trail master wrangler Shane put all of us at ease and was a fantastic guide up and down the mountain with great anecdotes. We especially loved his bear story complete with claw marks on a tree! With Shane's caring attention, my granddaughter was able to ride solo and loved every minute of the ride along with learning a lot about the ups and downs of horseback riding on a mountain. The trail ride on the mountain is both breathtaking and relaxing. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the leisurely and informative ride with Shane. Back at the stables with Ashley, it is very obvious that these horses are very well cared for, as they are easy to approach and very friendly with both adults and children. We are convinced this is the best stables in Estes and the National Park has done a wonderful job of maintaining it since the '70's along with the sister stables at Gateway. Don't bother going anywhere else; this is the best! We will be back next season (starts May 1) for a longer ride!

Visited October 2012
Manhattan Beach, CA
3 attraction reviews
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

1. Have not been on a horse for many years, and it was a non-factor. These horses are VERY well behaved and pretty much drive themselves, and I'm sure they've walked these trail hundreds of times. You would be doing yourself a disservice if you let your inexperience scare you off. So if you're a inexperienced rider, do not worry at all. 90% of the ride I didn't even have my hands on the rains and was busy rubber necking and taking pictures. 2. The trail was pretty torn up by the extensive use, but don't let this spook you either. Horses have 4 points touching the ground and are extremely sure footed. My horse seemed very aware and it was interesting the way he seemed to take his time and choose his own path. 3. The employees were courteous and the guide was a nice gal (kinda goes without saying). 4. After 2 hours in the saddle I got juuust a little sore (again just a little). 5. The scenery was of course beautiful. We saw a couple deer and several elk, and in fairly close proximity which was super cool. 6. Don't worry about riding equipment, and they have rain jackets strapped to your saddle should it rain. This was simply a very top notch experience. If you are an experienced rider, it won't be terribly thrilling as you are basically marching single file. It's great... a 2 hour hike, and you don't have to walk...lol Can't recommend it enough. Oh, and by the way this is right down the street from Horse Shoe Park which was one of the highlights of the drive accross the continental divide.