“Mountain Charm – Elk Outside the Door” 4 of 5 stars

Discovery Lodge
800 Big Thompson Avenue, Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO 80517   |
Ranked #11 of 29 hotels in Estes Park
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Mountain Charm – Elk Outside the Door”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

The motel is near Rocky Mountain Park. I was traveling with friends and stayed in a 3 bed, 1 bath room. The room was comfortable and had a fireplace. The best part of staying at this motel was waking up and discovering elk a few yards from the room. The motel had free Wi-Fi. The motel did not have a hair dryer in the room.

Overall the motel met my needs. I spent most of my time in Rocky Mountain Park. The room was a nice place to rest in the evening and to sleep. Based on seeing the elk, I would stay at the motel again if I was in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Discovery_Staff, Guest Relations Manager at Discovery Lodge, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank you for the kind review regarding your stay with us here at Discovery Lodge. The elk are frequent visitors to our main property with our close proximity to the golf course. We are always excited to see them and know that they make for a memorable experience for our guests. We always appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon. Thanks, and have a great day!

537 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We have stayed in the small cabin they have over and over and are never disappointed. The rough pine and the wonderful ambiance really helps get rid of all the stress of the city. Though there are only 2 of use the cabin does have 2 bedrooms. The newly remodeled bath is so great I take long showers and never want to come out. I love the ability to cook in the large kitchen and we have had family up for the day to join us for a holiday dinner. The living room is large and the TV and phone were great as well. I hope everyone starts going back to this great town as the fall is the time to see all the ELK and there is nothing like rolling your car window down and have the little ones come up to you.

Room Tip: We just do the cabin
Green Features: We love all the nice environmental programs the hotel has to offer. I have re used towels for years and it is nice to finally have that be a plus in your life.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Discovery Lodge. Our cabin can be a spacious retreat for two or cozily sleep up to 6. It can be a beautiful place to host small gatherings with its generous seating area and kitchen. We look forward to your next visit. Thanks, and have a great day!
Lowell, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Don't let the price fool you. This is a great gem. Close to everything. Helpful staff, quaint. Clean rooms. We had a balcony and watched the elk on the golf course. Fridge in room. Hot tub small but nice. Great bed. Small shelf space in bathroom but well kept and a bargin.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Hello, and thank you for the kind review regarding your stay with us at Discovery Lodge. We always appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon. Thanks, and have a great day!
Stamford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

All our preferred Estes Park hotel choices for our weekend adventure in the National Park were all booked, so we were happy to snag a room at the Discovery Lodge. It served our purpose as a base for our day in the park. The elk roaming the Lodge grounds were wonderful. However, that where the charming ended. Our room was very tired even though it looked like there had been a recent attempt to fix it up. The beds were clean and pleasantly comfortable. There was a mini fridge and flat screen TV. Our room faced away from the road, so it was quiet. I felt sorry for the rooms above us that did face the road. There is a mall across the street with a supermarket and a wine & liquor store which was very handy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far from the road as possible.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Discovery_Staff, Guest Relations Manager at Discovery Lodge, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Discovery Lodge. We have been hard at work renovating all of our units to meet the needs of modern travelers while keeping that rustic feel. The elk are frequent visitors on our property as they migrate around the valley and we appreciate them every time they visit. We are grateful for your business and hope to see you again soon. Thank you, and have a great day!
Aurora, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

A clean spacious quiet room. Comfortable beds and the grounds were well maintained. Parking was very convenient to our room. Every morning we watched the elk grazing. Early morning and late evening swalks with our dog was refreshing and peaceful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind review regarding your stay with us here at Discovery Lodge. We are glad you enjoyed the unique features we are able to offer because of our convenient location. We always appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon. Thanks, and have a great day!
Darwin, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

The lodge was clean and comfortable. It is situated close to the helpful visitors centre and shopping centre where you can get almost anything. It is a straight drive to the town centre. It has easy access to the national park. This lodge is close to most things and you can even spot elk grazing on the golf course next door. The down side for me was that it is pet friendly and I guess the pets stay in the rooms (although our room was clean). The rooms were a long way from the office to top up on coffee.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review regarding your stay with us here at Discovery Lodge. The Visitor Center and downtown Estes are both within easy walking distance from our main lodge. While we are pet friendly, we understand that it is not for everybody and we do have high standards when it comes to cleaning our rooms. It is one of our priorities by next year to upgrade our power grid so we can have coffee makers in each unit. We always appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon. Thanks, and have a great day!
Brighton, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Based on the reviews of this place I thought my wife and I were in for an enjoyable stay. Boy was I wrong. This place is poorly maintained to a T. The screen door is mounted crooked and caught on the floor on our way in. In the main room the ice bucket was dirty (a greasy finger print smudge gross ) which matched the filthy remote ( there was a sheen of filth on it) . After wiping off the remote my wife found that the batteries were dead and had to go get new ones. I took this time to go the washroom. On my way there two portable heaters and a window fan caught my attention. All three of these looked like they had not been cleaned since being bought and were caked with dust and dirt. When I got to the washroom I could not close the door. I had to push incredibly hard to get it closed and when I did get it closed I could see that it was hung noticeably crooked as well. The inside of the bathroom was not any better than the door. Chipped linoleum on the bathroom tub, poorly laid sealant and most of the pipes going to the sink were missing the covers so there were just dry wall gouges with no sealing around the pipes. Oh and the toilet was one of those terrible low flush ones… enough said about that. When the wife got back we sat down to watch a movie (Estes Park kind of shuts down after 6ish and I had specifically rented a room with a DVD player) and here came the icing on the cake
The DVD player did not work. Cables were plugged in and everything was factory settings. All I got was a terrible black and white picture no sound. I went to the desk and informed the kid behind the counter. He said he would make a note of it. I asked for a replacement. Of course they had no extras. I asked if I could have one from another room. He told me they did not have any available rooms. This was funny to me because the neon sign said vacancy and their online booking said they did indeed have rooms available that had a DVD player in them (I know because I looked online after). I had to prompt him to try and make it right in some way and we got 10 bucks back. Great. We did not stay the night there.
You can call it a lodge and throw some paint on it but that does not cover up what it truly is: A cheap roadside motel. Avoid this place.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Discovery_Staff, Owner at Discovery Lodge, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Hello! Thanks for taking the time to post your review of our motel. We are so sorry that you did not have the best experience! It is our priority that we have the best product and value in town as you can see from our other reviews.

Within 5 minutes of reading your comments, the General Manager and I went to the room you stayed in to check the issues that you wrote about. We take all of our reviews very seriously as you can imagine. We brought a DVD and tested the player. It works perfectly with the flat screen TV but we did have to change the input to DVD player and we acknowledge that better instructions are needed. I apologize that the Front Desk agent did not help you! We have talked to him and he understands how he should proceed in the future.

Regarding the bathroom door not closing: we did sustain some dampness in the back wall from the recent floods that affected the door jam of your bathroom. Within 20 minutes of reading your review, the maintenance department planed the door down and now it shuts perfectly. We are also going to check all the doors in that row to make sure the flood did not warp any of the other doors.

Again, thank you for bringing these issues to our attention!

Been to Discovery Lodge? Share your experiences!