“A great find” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Lowell, Michigan
“A great find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Don't let the price fool you. This is a great gem. Close to everything. Helpful staff, quaint. Clean rooms. We had a balcony and watched the elk on the golf course. Fridge in room. Hot tub small but nice. Great bed. Small shelf space in bathroom but well kept and a bargin.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Discovery_Staff, Guest Relations Manager at Discovery Lodge, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Hello, and thank you for the kind review regarding your stay with us at Discovery Lodge. We always appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon. Thanks, and have a great day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Stamford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

All our preferred Estes Park hotel choices for our weekend adventure in the National Park were all booked, so we were happy to snag a room at the Discovery Lodge. It served our purpose as a base for our day in the park. The elk roaming the Lodge grounds were wonderful. However, that where the charming ended. Our room was very tired even though it looked like there had been a recent attempt to fix it up. The beds were clean and pleasantly comfortable. There was a mini fridge and flat screen TV. Our room faced away from the road, so it was quiet. I felt sorry for the rooms above us that did face the road. There is a mall across the street with a supermarket and a wine & liquor store which was very handy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far from the road as possible.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Discovery_Staff, Guest Relations Manager at Discovery Lodge, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Discovery Lodge. We have been hard at work renovating all of our units to meet the needs of modern travelers while keeping that rustic feel. The elk are frequent visitors on our property as they migrate around the valley and we appreciate them every time they visit. We are grateful for your business and hope to see you again soon. Thank you, and have a great day!
Aurora, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

A clean spacious quiet room. Comfortable beds and the grounds were well maintained. Parking was very convenient to our room. Every morning we watched the elk grazing. Early morning and late evening swalks with our dog was refreshing and peaceful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind review regarding your stay with us here at Discovery Lodge. We are glad you enjoyed the unique features we are able to offer because of our convenient location. We always appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon. Thanks, and have a great day!
Darwin, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

The lodge was clean and comfortable. It is situated close to the helpful visitors centre and shopping centre where you can get almost anything. It is a straight drive to the town centre. It has easy access to the national park. This lodge is close to most things and you can even spot elk grazing on the golf course next door. The down side for me was that it is pet friendly and I guess the pets stay in the rooms (although our room was clean). The rooms were a long way from the office to top up on coffee.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review regarding your stay with us here at Discovery Lodge. The Visitor Center and downtown Estes are both within easy walking distance from our main lodge. While we are pet friendly, we understand that it is not for everybody and we do have high standards when it comes to cleaning our rooms. It is one of our priorities by next year to upgrade our power grid so we can have coffee makers in each unit. We always appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon. Thanks, and have a great day!
Brighton, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Based on the reviews of this place I thought my wife and I were in for an enjoyable stay. Boy was I wrong. This place is poorly maintained to a T. The screen door is mounted crooked and caught on the floor on our way in. In the main room the ice bucket was dirty (a greasy finger print smudge gross ) which matched the filthy remote ( there was a sheen of filth on it) . After wiping off the remote my wife found that the batteries were dead and had to go get new ones. I took this time to go the washroom. On my way there two portable heaters and a window fan caught my attention. All three of these looked like they had not been cleaned since being bought and were caked with dust and dirt. When I got to the washroom I could not close the door. I had to push incredibly hard to get it closed and when I did get it closed I could see that it was hung noticeably crooked as well. The inside of the bathroom was not any better than the door. Chipped linoleum on the bathroom tub, poorly laid sealant and most of the pipes going to the sink were missing the covers so there were just dry wall gouges with no sealing around the pipes. Oh and the toilet was one of those terrible low flush ones… enough said about that. When the wife got back we sat down to watch a movie (Estes Park kind of shuts down after 6ish and I had specifically rented a room with a DVD player) and here came the icing on the cake
The DVD player did not work. Cables were plugged in and everything was factory settings. All I got was a terrible black and white picture no sound. I went to the desk and informed the kid behind the counter. He said he would make a note of it. I asked for a replacement. Of course they had no extras. I asked if I could have one from another room. He told me they did not have any available rooms. This was funny to me because the neon sign said vacancy and their online booking said they did indeed have rooms available that had a DVD player in them (I know because I looked online after). I had to prompt him to try and make it right in some way and we got 10 bucks back. Great. We did not stay the night there.
You can call it a lodge and throw some paint on it but that does not cover up what it truly is: A cheap roadside motel. Avoid this place.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Discovery_Staff, Owner at Discovery Lodge, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Hello! Thanks for taking the time to post your review of our motel. We are so sorry that you did not have the best experience! It is our priority that we have the best product and value in town as you can see from our other reviews.

Within 5 minutes of reading your comments, the General Manager and I went to the room you stayed in to check the issues that you wrote about. We take all of our reviews very seriously as you can imagine. We brought a DVD and tested the player. It works perfectly with the flat screen TV but we did have to change the input to DVD player and we acknowledge that better instructions are needed. I apologize that the Front Desk agent did not help you! We have talked to him and he understands how he should proceed in the future.

Regarding the bathroom door not closing: we did sustain some dampness in the back wall from the recent floods that affected the door jam of your bathroom. Within 20 minutes of reading your review, the maintenance department planed the door down and now it shuts perfectly. We are also going to check all the doors in that row to make sure the flood did not warp any of the other doors.

Again, thank you for bringing these issues to our attention!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

This is a rustic lodge that fits in perfectly with the surrounding mountains. The location is fantastic and I woke up to see elk grazing in the front lawn. Also heard them rutting during the night, which I thought was pretty great. The price was affordable, and the staff couldn't have been better. Everyone I spoke with was friendly and helpful. They were also very accommodating when I had to change plans due to the gov shutdown that closed the national park. Will stay here again if I'm ever lucky enough to come back to Estes Park.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Hello, thank you for your kind review on you stay with us at Discovery Lodge. Being able to experience the elk, particularly during the rut, is part of what makes being at Discovery Lodge so magical. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon. Thanks, and have a great day!
CLEVELAND
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

You just can't beat this location with this price !!!! The hotel is spread across a wide area near a small pond. Entrance to the hotel from the main road is bit tricky (we checked in late in the night) as the road going down was dark and narrow (no safety issues though !!). We stayed here for two nights and visited the RMNP. The outside of the lodge is cottage style with two independent buildings (I am not sure, there may be more). We stayed in a room just next to the office. The young owners are really nice and helpful and they greeted everybody well. They have free coffee and hot chocolate in the office (no breakfast included). The room was very clean with polished wood furnitures, large flat screen TV and clean spacious bathroom. We stayed in a queen bed room and it was large enough for us to be a bit disorganized and keep our stuff scattered. When you open the window - the majestic snow covered peaks of the rocky mountain greets you from distance. We will definitely stay in the discovery lodge again if we go back to the Estes Park in the future. I have only one complain to the management - please keep at least one light on near the office and one near the hotel entrance for the travellers coming late. I can understand that they are trying to be sustainable and saving energy - but keeping couple of low power consuming lights really helps.

Green Features: May be one of the most environment friendly small hotel I have stayed. Thumbs up to the owners.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello! Thank you for your positive review regarding your stay with us here at Discovery Lodge. We in fact have 5 buildings on our main property (we close 2 for the winter) in additional to our cabin and the Otis House. When we know we have guests checking in after hours we will leave a light by the office door for them. Otherwise we do try to be conscientious of our energy footprint. Estes Park is a very safe community with our biggest concern being the wildlife most nights. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon. Thanks, and have a great day!

Been to Discovery Lodge? Share your experiences!