“The best place to stay in Estes Park” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 29 hotels in Estes Park
Murray, Kentucky
“The best place to stay in Estes Park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

First, I would like to say that I do not take the time to sit and write reviews for any hotel I ever stay at like the one I have set out to write about this one. However, this hotel Estes Park should absolutely be reviewed to the best of my ability so the world can know what a little jewel this hotel truly is. The location, the cleanliness, the owners...just everything about this place is amazing. I must say that when I picked this place, I knew by the reading the previous reviews that the Maxwell Inn that we were going to have a great experience for our vacation to Estes Park, Co, but I had no idea how much I would truly enjoy the experience of staying here.
We arrived on a Thursday after a very early flight from Kentucky, a lengthy rental car pick up, downtown Denver tour that included the zoo and a very long and winding trip down hwy 7. The peak to peak highway was gorgeous but we were also very tired when we finally arrived. Upon arriving, we truly thought the hotel was a sight for sore eyes. We marveled at how quaint, homey and just plain cute the hotel was. The flowers outside that sat on the patio along with the wooden deck chairs were such a welcoming sight. We should have known it would only get better from there.
When we entered and met Dana, we felt immediately at home. She was so very nice and welcoming and pulled out a map and showed us exactly where we were and even recommended some really nice local food locations. Of course we took her up on those over the course of the next few days. We talked about hiking and RMNP and she informed us of the openings in the park (we arrived just after the flood). We desperately wanted to do some hiking (we are backpackers, hikers and rock climbers) so we were very disheartened that the east part of the park had been closed.
After receiving the keys to our room (which were actual keys and I though that was just awesome) and some more causal chit chat Dana handed us some salt water taffy (another nice touch) and we found our way up to room 5. When we entered the room we couldn't believe how cute and clean it was. They even provide their own lip balm, which I absolutely loved because I left mine at home. (: But before I move on I must say again, the rooms were very clean and you could smell the freshness of the room from the time you walked in the door. The bed was extremely comfortable and the sheets were crisp, soft and smelled fresh. The room was very comfortable.
When we arrived we were very dehydrated from our trip and I ran down to the office to grab something to drink after we got all of our stuff moved into the room. I ran into Dana again and explained our situation and grabbed a couple bottles of water and retreated back into room 5. About 15 minutes after I arrived back in my room, we received a knock on our door and it was Dana bringing us even more water and giving us the update on RMNP. She informed us the east side of the park had been opened up. It was so very nice of her to think of us. When I closed the door my fiancée immediately said, "well that's it, they have made us loyal guests for life". (:
On another note, my current fiancée wasn't my fiancée when we arrived to Estes Park. He actually proposed to me the day after we arrived at Bear Lake while it was snowing and abandoned from all the tourists. We might not have had that experience if we weren't kept so well informed by the Maxwells. When we arrived back to the hotel, we ran into the office and Dana had noticed my ring (which I thought was so awesome and personal that she had noticed) and she congratulated us. Later that afternoon, we left for the night to explore the Stanley hotel and upon returning we found a dozen pink roses in our room from Dana and Peter to celebrate our engagement. We couldn't believe how much they went out of their way for us. It was genuinely a very nice ending to our already amazing day and the most thoughtful random act of kindness I have experienced in a very long time. We brought the roses home with us (they actually made it through the plane trip) and we have them sitting in our living room so we can be reminded of our trip to Estes. I also plan on drying them out and keeping them to commemorate the occasion. Dana and Peter have no idea how much their hospitality has touched us.
As I said in the beginning, I can't say enough about this hotel. The owners, the location (just outside RMNP and you can walk to downtown),
To us, this is the only place we will ever stay when visiting RMNP. I recommend you do the same.

MaxwellInn, Owner at The Maxwell Inn, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Lisa and Fiancé,
Who doesn't LOVE being a part of someone's special memories?! If there is one thing that we have learned in business, it's that it's the little things that go a long way. We try to make every guest feel welcomed and at home here at The Maxwell Inn. From Concierge to Housekeeping to Maintenance, we do it all and try to do it the best we know how. With that, we have had wonderful reviews, such as yours, and great feedback (good, bad and indifferent)! We couldn't be happier for you two and wish you all the best in life, love and happiness for the rest of your days. Give us a call when you are ready to come back to the place where it all started for you two!

88 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
San Diego , California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We spent two nights at the Maxwell Inn (in late September, after the flood). Dana was great at keeping us informed before we left home as to road conditions, etc. Our room had a great view and Dana and Pete and their two children were great hosts. We felt a bit incorporated into their wonderful family. Access to RMNP and the downtown area are both excellent. The breakfast is satisfying and gets your day off to a good start. If we are lucky enough to return to this beautiful part of our country, we will stay at the Maxwell Inn.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
MaxwellInn, Owner at The Maxwell Inn, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
We are so glad that you guys took the leap of faith and made the journey up to Estes Park. With RMNP back open and the shops and restaurants downtown, Estes is a thriving mountain town once again! Our mini-hoteliers loved meeting you as well and we are happy that our quick breakfast in the mornings met your needs. It was a pleasure meeting you and we hope that you can make it out again some time soon.
Nolensville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed for a week @ The Maxwell Inn over the Labor Day weekend 2013. We found The Maxwell Inn was clean & comfortable, and a quick walk into town, just what we were looking for! Dana & Pete made our stay wonderful ... they were able to recommend places to hike, eat, & seek medical attention. We would definitely stay there the next trip we make to Estes Park.
Glad to hear they stayed dry during the flood.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you two for spending your holiday vacation at The Maxwell Inn. Part of what we love about this business is recommending great sights to see, things to do and places to eat. It's reassuring to hear that we were able to suggest some great things to make your trip complete, besides the part about how to get to the Medical Center. We look forward to the next time you make it out this way, I'm sure we will be able to recommend more "must sees" of Estes Park!
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I stayed 1 night at the Maxwell Inn. I unfortunately was in Estes Park to perform environmental testing after the flood. But was fortunate enough to find the Maxwell Inn. What a great place to stay. The owners are friendly and the room clean. If your are in Estes Park and looking for a place to stay, this is it. This was my first time in Estes Park but will bring my family back here on vacation. And The Maxwell Inn is where we will stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
MaxwellInn, Owner at The Maxwell Inn, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Wow, Ray, Thank you for the glowing review! We are sorry that the flood is what brought you to Estes Park, but are glad that you enjoyed your brief stay at The Maxwell Inn. Hopefully when you return with your family, you will be able to enjoy all that Estes and the Rocky Mountain National Park have to offer. We look forward to meeting the rest of your family and being able to recommend places to go and things to see in town. Best wishes to you while you are working in Colorado.
Hendersonville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We spent a week at the Maxwell Inn in Sept. of 2013. Dana and Pete (owners) did a remarkable job of taking care of us. We had some particular needs and they went out of their way to accomodate us. The Inn is great and the community and surrounding National Park is the best. The Inn is minutes from the National park entrance, the wildlife viewing is the most incredible we've experienced anywhere in the U.S. We can't say enough about the Maxwell Inn. We recommend it highly.

Room Tip: Some rooms have A/C and some don't. They seldom need A/C but if you're there during the hott...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
MaxwellInn, Owner at The Maxwell Inn, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Cary - It was great to meet you two! It's too bad your trip got cut short, like a few others, because of the weather. On the other hand, now you'll just have to come back to finish your trip! We enjoyed offering ideas and, as usual, liked being able to help you explore Estes and make the most of your time here. A/C for all rooms is on our list for this upcoming Winter, so hopefully it will make it easier to pick out which rooms to stay in, or maybe harder to pick a favorite! Take care, and thanks for writing a review for other travelers.
Sappington, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed 3 nights before we had to evacuate because of the flooding. We could not have been happier with our stay here. The room had everything we needed to be comfortable. The Inn is in a great location with a short walk or drive if you prefer to town and the owners were so helpful with restaurant recommendations. I had never stayed at a small inn before and could not be more pleased with it. The owners are such a nice young couple who just happen to be from our home town. We booked the Inn based on reviews from trip advisor and they were sooo right. I understand they did not have any water damage from the floods so I would recommend you book your trip before they fill up. We will certainly stay there again if our travels take us back to Estes Park. Thank you again Dana and Peter for your hospitality!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
We stayed dry! Thanks for the kind words. Usually TripAdvisor reviews can give you a pretty good idea of what to expect, and we're glad they helped you make a solid choice! Before this, my wife and I had always stayed at chains as well. Being able to really make something "your own" makes a world of difference, we believe. It was a pleasure meeting you two, helping you with your vacation, and hope that you can make it back out this way again soon.
Castle Rock, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We walked to the Maxwell Inn from downtown to see what time we could check in. Even though check in wasn't for a few hours, the nice young man said our room should be ready in about 30 minutes and that he would text us at that time. That was very helpful! We walked back downtown and was able to check in not much later. He was also very helpful with restaurant recommendations and area info. The next morning they had a nice continental breakfast and both him and his wife were very friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and comfortable and it is an easy walk to downtown. There was also a pizza/ deli place across the street but we didn't get a chance to try it.

• Stayed September 2013
Tina thanks for sharing your feedback on our Inn. We really do try to make your stay personal, and make ourselves available for any sort of advice you'd need! You guys were here right before our historic rainfall, so when you come back, it may look a little different! Folks really enjoy walking into town, and a comfortable room with personal touches seems to make the whole experience "warmer" than the standard chain hotel experience. Please visit us again soon and thank you again for staying with us!

Been to The Maxwell Inn? Share your experiences!