“Not so great!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Loveland Heights Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Loveland Heights Cottages
2542 Big Thompson Canyon, Estes Park, CO 80517   |
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
“Not so great!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed at Loveland Heights Cottages for five nights (two different units) in late September. I'm afraid I cannot agree with the other postings shown on Trip Advisor. We chose this specifically because of the proximity to the river and the decks that hung over the river. Unfortunately, it was not a place that we found appealing to spend time in.

Pros -- clean
close to the river
price

Cons -- noise from cars on the road was so loud that we couldn't hear the river
fire extinguishers (in both units) were last inspected in April of 1994 (is this legal??)
one unit had door that opened onto the deck, but no windows (except the bath)
that opened with screens, and the door onto the deck had no screen:
thus there was no chance for river sounds at all
the prefab shower unit was too small for my slim 6'3" husband
the sheets were clean, but the blankets and bedspread looked like they had
not been washed recently
the ambiance was not such that we wanted to hang around: we aren't prissy and
even tho we are widely traveled, we don't stay in Five Star hotels

Room Tip: Make sure to ask if your room will have windows with screens that open onto the river so you can enj...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
lovelandheights, Owner at Loveland Heights Cottages, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
First of all Thank You for saying the cabins were clean and at a good price. The cabins are not close to the river, they are on the river banks. The 1st cabin you were in has a very large deck that hangs out OVER the river, and it has a very large window that overlooks the deck and the river and it does open and has a screen, and the 2nd cabin has a large deck that over looks the river,
The bathrooms in some of these cabins are small, we put in all new showers in the last two years because they had old metal showers that had to be replaced, We put in the only ones that we could find that would fit. That size of shower has been in these cabins since they were built.
The ambiance in these cabins is exactly what we advertise. Go back in time!, every cabin is shown on our web site and we show each and every cabin to our customers BEFORE they check in to make sure it is what they want. There were plenty of vacancies in Estes, if it is not what they want, why in the world do they stay. We do not hold them hostage, we want people to stay here that enjoy what we have to offer and we think it is pretty special and so do our many, many returning guests. We are not an exclusive or expensive motel, we are just a down to earth family, running cottages on the Banks of the Big Thompson River.. Are we Lucky or What?

The couple that stayed in the last cabin you were in, by the way it is an $85.00 studio, came in when they left and ask me if I would consider selling Loveland Heights. They said it was the most wonderful place they had ever stayed. Go Figure. These are the kind of people we are trying to attract with our web sites, we have never and never will present this beautiful property as anything but what it is.

191 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We decided that we were going to "wing" our 2 night stay in Estes Park and just book something when we get there. We called Loveland Heights first that they had 1 cottage available. We booked it....when we got there, we fell in love with the owner and her family. They are a family owned business and have owned the cottages for many years. The history behind the cottages is quite amazing to hear as well. I highly recommend speaking with the owner and looking at the photo album that they have in the office. The bathroom was clean, and the rest of the cottage was clean as well. Now let's talk about the patio that overlooks the river, 3 words come to my mind right now as I think about it....PEACEFUL, GORGEOUS, TRANQUIL! It was the best decision to stay here and we were not disappointed. You can feel the love that was put into this property and the cottages that are here.

A great thing to know is that when you stay here, you are 3 miles from Estes Park and there is a Safeway in Estes...pick up dinner, and breakfast foods and hang out on the patio making memories of your own. Thanks Loveland Heights!

Room Tip: We stayed in Cabin #10...clean, big enough for 2 couples or 2 people with 2 rooms inside. A kitchen...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
lovelandheights, Owner at Loveland Heights Cottages, responded to this review, February 11, 2013

It is a pleasure to own the cottages when we have guests like you
Bettendorf, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I spent almost two weeks at the bear cave in August. I loved the location as it was just out of town but not far away. The river is amazing. I loved sitting on the patio and listening to the river. The place was recently remodeled and incredibly clean. The owner was very friendly. The bear cave, tree house and aframe are located in the same area. They are very close to the river and also fairly close to the road. For me this was not a problem. I enjoyed the river so much that the occasional road traffic didn't bother me at all. Besides once it gets dark the road traffic slows way down. My neighbors in the other two were also very friendly. I look forward to visiting again in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
lovelandheights, Owner at Loveland Heights Cottages, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
I cannot believe you were in the Bear Cave for almost 2 weeks and left it so clean. This means a lot to us to know that people care enough to take care of our property. These cabins are very special to us because unlike Loveland Heights Cottages which we have owned for 32 years, we have just opened these up for rentals the latter part of this summer. Kind of like having a new child to take care of. Really a lot of fun and work of course. I am glad you enjoyed the fabulous river frontage, any closer and you would be floating. Hey, thats an idea maybe I should furnish kayaks and if you needed anything you could float down stream to Loveland Heights Cottages. Well, maybe not. Anyway have a wonderful day.
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the cabins. We enjoyed being able to make dinner and enjoy it on the deck with the Big Thompson flowing right by us. The beds were comfortable, the bathroom was a little "rustic" but overall, we enjoyed our stay. The walls are a little thin (or our neighbors were just loud) but that's no fault of the very polite and helpful owners. It's close to Estes, on the river, and a better price than those boxed hotels anyway,.

Room Tip: The cabins that are connected can be noisy if your neighbors are...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
lovelandheights, Owner at Loveland Heights Cottages, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank You.
That is a very nice review and we do appreciate it.
Victorville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

My parents, sisters and our husbands recently stayed here to celebrate my parents' 30th anniversary. The 8 of us stayed in cabins 9 and 2 and we couldn't have had a better time! Even though our cabins weren't next door to each other, the walk to get from cabin to cabin took all of an easy minute or two. The location is just a short 5 minute drive from Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. There were a couple of days where we went into and out of town several times. I loved being able to walk out onto our back porch and practically be on the river! That was a definite bonus of these quaint cabins. While the cabins were not the newest (definitely not the Hilton), they had a comfortable, homey feel. They were also stocked with the basics and whenever you needed more of something, we contacted the owners and our needs were quickly met. The atmosphere was definitely family friendly. I think the hardest thing to deal with was how close to the road the cabins were. It provided for easy transportation, but the noise in the morning often woke me up as my husband and I were in the room closest to the road. It may have been quieter in the back of the cabin. Overall, I would recommend these to anyone who is interested in an easy going, comfortable stay that's close to Rocky Mountain National Park. I would absolutely come back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
lovelandheights, Owner at Loveland Heights Cottages, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank You so much, you were a delightful group.
Broomfield, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed at the Loveland Heights cottages West, and were very satisfied with our stay. We would have liked to stay at the main cabins, but they were completely booked. The owers were extreemly nice and very accomodating. I am 8 months pregnant, and asked for extra pillows for comfort, and they were given to me immediately. The house is close to the river so my husband was able to wake up and walk right outside our door to fly fish...The road is pretty close to the house, so the noise during the day was a little annoying - but it really quited down at night, and we had no trouble hearing the river through our windows while we slept - we really did not hear any cars at night...we loved that part - very relaxing. The other two "cabins - the bear cave and A-Frame" were pretty close by too - which we did not expect, but turned out pretty good overall since the folks staying in those cabins were very friendly. The home is furnished nicely and is very clean. I included a couple of photo's of the beautiful river which is directly outside of the house.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank You for choosing Loveland Heights West for your stay. You are a great couple and good luck with that baby.
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Pros: Close to Estes, on the river, basics provided, owners are nice
Cons: Dirty kitchen walls, cob webs and lots of bugs in corners, uncomfortable beds, no screens on front windows or doors, deck needs refinished, thin insufficient drapes, some kitchen ware could be updated, tiny counter space, highway noise in front bedroom, no door on one bedroom

Overall we enjoyed our stay. We are not people who expect luxury in a cottage or cabin but we were disappointed in cabin 16 given the excellent ratings of LHC as a whole.

General consensus was that it was simply a step above an RV and tent.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
lovelandheights, Owner at Loveland Heights Cottages, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
I would like to address your pros and cons.
Pros:
First of all I am glad you had a good time, that is what we are here for.

Cons:
I personally clean all the kitchens, the walls were and are not dirty. When you rent cabins out every day for 4 months, they get stains from cooking, especially that one because the stove in right against the wall. I wipe them down every day and address the stains in the fall when we close for the year.

Tiny Counter space: You are right it is a small counter, Since there is no room to increase it there is not much I can do.

Update kitchen utensils: You did not mention the fact that this cabin has all matching dishes, silverware and beautiful stainless steel pans.

Cob webs in the corners: You also forgot to mention that these cob webs that you saw were OUTSIDE the cabin and not in it. I went down to 16 the minute I read your review and looked at all of your cons and there was not a cobweb in the cabin.

Decks: All of these decks were built in 2009 and 2010. I have had them restained EVERY year since, they do them in Oct to protect them in the winter. This Oct 1st thru the 10th they will all be redone again. They take a lot of wear being right on the river. We do keep up with it. We are going to try painting them this year instead of stain.

Thin drapes: These are not drapes, they are curtains to match the bedspreads.

screens: When I had the cottages painted last year, the painters ruined a lot of the screens. I have been trying to find someone to build new ones as these are all different sizes and you can not just go and buy them at your local Home Depot. All of the screens in all the cabins have to be custom made and each cabin is different. A very tall order and we are working on it
Road Noise. No one ever compains about road noise, because it is almost non exhistant yes, we are on the Big Thompson Canyon Road. If we were not you would not be staying on the Big Thompson River. In the old days when they built a road it followed the river. We are grateful for that because if there were (heaven forbid) a disaster like a forest fire we have several different routes to get our people to safety. We are not up in the backwoods with no outlets.

Bedroom Door: There is no way to put a door on that bedroom, two of the bedrooms have doors but the way that bedroom is built the door would either hit up againt the bed or the bathroom door.

Uncomfortable beds: This one bothered me the most. I spent $30,000.00 on beds, bed frames and bedding last year. EVERYONE that has slept on them has remarked how comfortable the beds are or how great they slept.

To sum up your review:
My 3 children (all in their 50's) and myself proudly manage, maintain, and clean Loveland Heights Cottages. We are very proud of these cabins and work 7 days a week 8 months a year (without a day off) to make them the best vacation experience that we can possibly give our guests. I have owned them for 32 years and they are not just a business to me they are a part of our family.

Been to Loveland Heights Cottages? Share your experiences!