“For the price, a great place.” 4 of 5 stars

Coyote Mountain Lodge
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1340 Big Thompson Ave., Estes Park, CO 80517   |
Ranked #17 of 29 hotels in Estes Park
Denver
“For the price, a great place.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

After the Stanley Ghost Tour, we spent the night at the Coyote Mountain Lodge. (Too scared to stay at the Stanley ; ). Our room was clean and comfortable. Would stay there again as it was a very good value.

Room Tip: Only drawback was that the door locked with only a doorknob lock. Would have liked another lock/dead...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Kristie W, Front Office Manager at Coyote Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
The Coyote staff would like to thank you for your kind words and hope you had a blast at the Stanley ghost tour. The property was a work in progress this season. We hope to exceed your expectations next visit to Estes Park. We will remain an affordable motel but hope to add some amenities that will continue to set us apart from the other 'budget' places. please bring your family back again soon.

183 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

My wife and I and our infant son did a weekend getaway trip to Estes Park in October 2012. After reading several good reviews on Trip Advisor we decided to give the Coyote a try. We could not have been happier with our choice. Our room was very clean and a decent size for the price. You can tell the new owners have done a lot of work remodeling the place, and apparently they have only owned since February. They had the pool and hot tub going strong. We plan on going back next year and I am sure we will see a lot of new upgrades by then. The staff was very courteous and helpful, and I seriously doubt you can beat this place in Estes for the price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
The Coyote staff would like to thank you for your kind words. The property was a work in progress this season. We hope to exceed your expectations next visit to Estes Park. We are glad you and your family enjoyed the pool and hot tub. We will remain an affordable motel but hope to add some amenities that will continue to set us apart from the other 'budget' places. please bring your family back again soon!
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We were delighted at the clean and updated look of this sweet and simple motel room, and its great low price. The front desk folks were very friendly and helpful. The location is great - you can walk to the lake from the motel, and you can walk to the downtown. We will definitely return and recommend it for folks who would like a nice motel for a low price. We brought our 2 young children and it was a nice place for them as well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Kristie W, General Manager at Coyote Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
The Coyote staff would like to thank you for your kind words. The property was a work in progress this season. We hope to exceed your expectations next visit to Estes Park. We will remain an affordable motel but hope to add some amenities that will continue to set us apart from the other 'budget' places. please bring your family back again soon.
Bologna, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

There are two kinds of old motels. The ones that during the years lost quality and those that has been able to acquire charm, to upgrade their services and their level through intelligent but never invasive renovation. The Coyote Mountain Lodge definitely belongs to the latter group. Ten years ago I spent one night at this property, the name, if I'm not wrong was then Bighorn Mountain Lodge. When last september I arrived in Estes Park I couldn't remember the name of the motel but as soon as I drove in front of it I recognized it on the spot thanks to the particular shape of the lobby roof, so unique and beautiful that in my opinion should be used as an emblem for the property. I spent two nights in two different rooms and them both proved to be very clean, large, and definitely affordable even for a solo traveller. During my first night the room wasn't equipped with a fridge and a microwave as it was the one where I spent my second night, but I could make use of the micro located in the lobby on the same counter where it's possible getting some good coffee all day long. Before starting to write this review I was thinking if the lack of a morning breakfast, available during the old management, could be considered a sort of deficiency. My answer is no. Once you can count on some coffee (by the way I guess any room is provided with a coffee maker) and a microvawe you can fix yourself any meal you desire without having to pay for it even if you don't need it. Last but not least the real plus is due to the kindness, friendliness and professionalism of the staff, both the girl who checked me in both times and the young man who was on duty in the morning. The Coyote Mountain Lodge will be my accomodation when I'll be again in Estes Park and my choice among other things it's even due to them.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Hi, Reading your review gave me such a great feeling. We have had so much fun this season remodeling the property and meeting all of the wonderful repeat guests. It has been a very rewarding season. We hope you will continue to stay with us each return visit to Estes Park. We hope to have some sort of breakfast in the near future.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I was stranded in Colorado by Hurricane Sandy and recently stayed at Coyote Mountain Lodge. It was convenient to everything, and it was a great value. My room was basic, but clean and comfortable. There was even free internet, a fridge, a microwave and a coffee maker. That wasn't the best part though. The best part was the fabulous customer service. I made a reservation through booking.com and I thought I was going to have to forfeit a night's stay when I could not get to the hotel in time. I called up and they were very understanding and moved my reservation back a night. When I arrived, I told them I might want to add yet another night depending on how long I was going to be stranded, and they were willing to accommodate whatever I needed. I ended up not needing the additional night and they changed my reservation yet again with a smile. It would be so nice if everyone in the service industry was so accommodating. If you are looking for a simple and comfortable room in Estes Park, stay at the Coyote Mountain Lodge.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thanks for taking the time to compliment our staff on their service. We are glad that we could make your stay as comfortable as possible under the circumstances. We hope that you will consider another stay with us. Guests like you make our job way more fun.
Youngsville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I made a reservation after reading other Tripadvisor reviews.Their website indicated they were remodeling,and were offering budget rates on rooms not yet remodeled,so I reserved one of these.When I arrived,someone was repairing the roof over the office.I made the comment that I hoped my room wasn't close to the noise,as I wanted to shower,and go out to dinner.The woman in the office said my room was only two down from the noise,so she would give me one in the back,away from the noise.She asked if a king bed was OK(I was alone).I said great.She asked if a coffee pot was OK.I said yes.The room was still not remodeled yet,but she gave it to me for the same price.The room had a coffee pot,fridge,microwave,hair dryer,and flat screen TV.It had some rough spots,but was very clean,and the carpet looked new,not like the gross carpet in most "need to be remodeled" motels.The window looked out over the mountains,and an elk came down the driveway in the AM.There was a large very nice lobby with TV and morning coffee.The woman was very friendly,and said they just bought the motel and are slowly remodeling all the rooms.If you want a clean room for a budget price,ask for one of the unremodeled rooms.There was a large pool in front,which would be nice in warmer weather.

Room Tip: The lower level back should be the quietest because they are built into the hill,as the land slopes...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your review. We have tried to remodel with the least impact on our guest's comfort as possible. With guests like you willing to be flexible it has made this process a lot smoother. Thanks for understanding. We hope you will come stay with us next time you are in Estes Park.
Gladesville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed here in October and enjoyed the big comfy bed and efficient room lay-out. Quiet and very pleasant view out over the mountains. The rooms have been recently refurbished, while keeping some of the original ( 1960's ? ) features. We loved the " window louvres" that allowed great ventilation without the noise of the air conditioner, energy-efficient too ! Watched some elk walk across the lawn in the evening , magic!

Room Tip: Better views from the upstairs rooms , also quieter. The curtains let through some light, so avoid e...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to Estes Park. We have worked really hard this season to update the property. I am so glad you enjoyed the views and the Elk. Please come back and stay with us again soon. We hope to have all of the bathrooms remodeled by next season.

Been to Coyote Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!