“New management is doing a great job” 4 of 5 stars

1st Inn Estes Park
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1120 Big Thompson Ave, Estes Park, CO 80517   |
Ranked #26 of 30 Hotels in Estes Park
Long Beach, California
“New management is doing a great job”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I checked into the Four Winds in mid-August 2013 for just a couple of nights, we thought. We enjoyed our stay so much, stayed for 17 days. New managers had just taken over the hotel a few weeks earlier and have been doing their utmost to bring the property up to speed. Admittedly, it's an older hotel in need of some maintenance but the managers are on the job daily, paying attention to the needs of us weary travelers. Our room was clean, bed was comfortable, had a fireplace in the room, location at top of hill looking down on town and up at the mountains, saw elk walking across the property - what else do you want for a good price. Restaurant next door is worth a stop. So if you're looking for a great place in Estes Park, look no further.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I would not recommend this motel to anyone...it was dirty and terribly run down. No A/C in the entire motel. There was blood on the sheets and pillow case and when it was brought to the staff's attention I was given a clean set to make my own bed! The door on the lower bathroom cabinet was off its hinges and left leaning against the cabinet with trash ( old toilet roll hanger, old bags ) left sitting behind it. There was more water coming out the base of the faucet then from the tap itself. The bathroom was dirty. We only stayed because everything else was booked ...I would not stay again. My room wasn't the only one with a problem, on check-out I noticed a list of numerous things that needed fixing in one other room. Poor management and poor service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Villach, Austria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Nothing about this places merits half of the $100 charged. Told there was a fridge. & coffee maker in the room (when I asked about breakfast). No fridge, no coffee for the lame 1papercup maker( never seen such a poor excuse for a coffee machine before). A small fridge was delivered, eventually, with all kinds of aplogies for the challenges of undertaking a renovation. Be that as it may, innocent customers should've be extorted. What a needlessly negative experience. thin pillows, no cups for water or the phantom coffee, worn out mattress. I would not feel the need to write this if we had been charged a fair price. It almost seemed illegal.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Overland Park, KS
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

If I had read these reviews I would not have booked this motel in the first place. This is the first time in years that I took a look at my room that was assigned and went back to the office and asked for another room. I asked if any of the rooms were being renovated yet and was told no. It is in great need of updating. I was glad I was only in the area 1 night.

Room Tip: If staying, ask to see the room first.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Estes Park, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The managers of the motel have been very nice, and I appreciate their friendliness and professionalism. Even though the motel can definitely use some updating, the staff has been very nice. I was supposed to have an extended stay here, but there was new ownership since the time of my reservation, and it was no longer in the system. Brandon & Chrissy have really made me feel welcome, and I appreciate that. I think that less than stellar conditions can be overlooked when the service is great. If you are looking for an affordable night in Estes, try it here!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Wichita
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband and I decided last minute to drive up to Estes Park from Colorado Springs and stay one night for our anniversary. Normally we would make reservations but we decided to wing it this time in the spirit of adventure. Well, our adventurous spirit led to us to the Budget Host during a torrential downpour. It was the first vacancy sign we saw so we pulled in, ran in the office and asked for a room with a queen or king bed. After some initial confusion, the clerk found a room with one queen bed for a...ahem...staggering price. Whatever. It was raining, it was three o'clock and we wanted to spend the little time we had in Estes Park at RMNP. For some reason the front desk lady kept offering to let us see the room before we agreed to stay there *warning* *warning*. We assured her that we didn't care and so we paid and went to our room. Before we went in, we got to meet our neighbors, a lovely group of gentlemen, presumably from a highway work crew, who had been put out by the rain and had decided to spend their afternoon imbibing some canned beverages in the parking lot. Our room was VERY small but was reasonably clean. The bathroom was moderately clean as well but very small. A warning on the mirror lets you know that if you even think about using their washcloths for removing makeup you will be subjected to a hefty fine. Hey, washcloths aren't cheap guys! Although, for what we paid for the room I would have expected washcloths woven of golden thread but, whatever. So, we left and went into the Park then returned a good five or six hours later to find our neighbors still sitting in the parking lot, noticeably more drunk and making noticeably more noise. I convinced my husband to check out the pool because, "hey, it couldn't get any worse." There aren't any lights in the pool which is probably for the best because it looked pretty...rustic. There were some high weeds growing in what I assume was at one point a kiddie pool. It was heated so...there's that. We got out and darted across the parking lot to the cheers of throngs of drunken displaced highway workers. What a magical evening! But seriously, if you're going to be gouged, and you most likely will be in July in Estes Park, at least stay at a place where you can use the washcloths however you see fit.

Room Tip: If you have the opportunity and the weather permits, stay in a suite near a large group of drunken b...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Beds are old and uncomfortable. Grounds are not very well kept. Pool looked old. Air conditioner in room didn't cool off room and was super noisy. We didn't plan in advance so got stuck here in a Saturday night. Don't stay unless you have no other options

• Stayed July 2013

Been to 1st Inn Estes Park? Share your experiences!