“Excellent choice” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 114 restaurants in Estes Park
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Gardner
“Excellent choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I were looking for a nice meal, not too pricey, and casual. Rock Inn fit the bill. We got the fried pickles for an appetizer. Very good, but could've used more dipping sauce. We both ordered the pan seared trout. Excellent. Simply prepared with lemon, butter, and dill. I got the mashed potatoes. Boyfriend got the Longs Peak potatoes. Mashed potatoes were very good. Vegetables were crisp and flavorful. Service was exceptional. Toward the end of our meal, a group of mountain music musicians started jamming. Added great ambience to the rustic restaurant. Highly recommend.

83% Recommend
Denver
“Wonderful surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I were staying in town and looking for a great meal. This place had some of the highest ratings, and now I know why. We've eaten at the Stanley, Twin Owls Steakhouse, The Other Side restaurant, Smokin' Dave's (phenomenal place, too!), but wanted to try something new, and I am sure glad we did.

The ambiance is casual, but very nice- like an open lodge room. Service was friendly, prompt and warm. Food.... Awesome. Side salad was..o.k., nothing to write home about, but the appetizers- from the signature Devils on Horseback (garlic stuffed dates wrapped in bacon), and the warm brie on toast points, drizzled in wild honey and sprinkled with black pepper- we knew then we were in for a treat.

All their beef is locally sourced and organic. We opted for the special- an 8 oz filet topped with a roquefort cream. I had the Long's Peak potatoes (boiled red potatoes that are then flash-fried and sprinkled with sea salt) my wife had the Idaho mashed potatoes. I must say... It was, no joke, one of the best steaks I have ever had. So flavorful, cooked to perfection, nice char-broiled texture, moist and amazing real beef flavor. Spot on. My wife agreed. Great steak.

We followed up with a delicious homemade bread pudding with vanilla bourbon sauce, and an excellent pot of French Press coffee. Delicious.

If you are looking for something new and different, with top-notch food and a casual, not stuffy atmosphere, give The Rock Inn a try. Twin Owls.....watch out. These guys outshined you for half the price!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
“Changing can be a bad thing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

My husband and I go here every time we go to Estes Park and I have always enjoyed it. The food is good, the atmosphere is nice, and usually the service is spot on with the manager coming and checking on you during your visit. We almost always go out to the patio and enjoy the fire while having after-dinner drinks.

This time we were very disappointed in our experience. My husband wanted to go outside and enjoy the fire for a bit but the patio entrance from the inside was blocked off so he went to the entrance from the outside. He found that not only did they not have their normal lighting and music set up but that the patio and fire pit was shut down. When asked why he was told that they don't use that space anymore. They should truly rethink that as I have sent many people there for dinner and bragged about their outside patio with fire pit.

There are some other minor changes that have occurred that makes the experience here not nearly as enjoyable as it used to be. 1. The fireplace inside not being used. 2, The music went from local to something else entirely. 3. You used to be able to order things that used to be on the menu even if it isn't now. 4. A lot less kid-friendly than it was a few years ago.

This could be a great place for dinner and drinks if you don't mind all of the stuff that they no longer have.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Rapid City, SD
“Rcok Inn rocks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We have been coming to Estes Park for years, and always plan to eat at the Rock Inn Mountain Tavern. Last night we had another very enjoyable meal. Excellent food, service and atmosphere. It was cold and snowing lightly so the fireplace was most welcoming. Our waitress was friendly, attentive and efficient. We especially enjoyed the bacon-wrapped dates as an appetizer. Just great! One of our all-time favorite places in Estes!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kansas
“Best steak ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My husband and I tried this place one Sunday evening while visiting Estes Park. My husband had the trout and I had a filet and it was one of the very best steaks I have ever had.

Visited October 2012