“Deer Crest is one of Estes Park's hidden gems” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Deer Crest Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Estes Park
Deer Crest Resort
1200 Fall River Rd, Estes Park, CO 80517 (Formerly Deer Crest Chalet)   |
Offers & Announcements
5 or 10% off room rates!
Ranked #8 of 29 hotels in Estes Park
Cedar Falls, Iowa
“Deer Crest is one of Estes Park's hidden gems”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

Our 5-day stay at Deer Crest Resort well exceeded our high expectations. My wife and I had a side-by-side room with my parents on the second floor overlooking the Fall River. The rooms were spacious and beds very comfortable. The setting was serene and peaceful and very relaxed. We all enjoyed the hot tub and heated pool after our early-morning hikes and just sitting out on the deck drinking wine and eating appetizers listening to the river rush by.

The hotel is only 3 miles from the entrance to Rocky Mtn National Park and 1 mile uphill from downtown Estes Park which made it extremely convenient to both areas. Our favorite early morning routine was to walk the 1 2/3 miles to Starbucks downtown and then walk back to Nicky's so we would be hungry for a great big breakfast. What makes Nicky's so exceptional, along with the food, is the fact too that you can choose to eat right over or next to the Fall River. It was quite the ambience! We did have dinner there as well and the food was excellent and not unreasonably priced.

All in all we had an excellent time and will not hestitate to book the same rooms next year if or when we come back. I would recommend Deer Crest to anyone who loves to stay in a tranquil setting with well-appointed accomodations.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

153 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Nashville, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

We stayed for 7 nights and it was the best sleep I have had in months. Newer mattress, very clean, quiet, close to town and the National Park. Adults only which is nice if you're an empty nester and like the peace and quiet. The owners are the sweetest people and make sure you enjoy your stay. We plan on staying there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

Deer Crest boasts rooms all overlooking Fall River with a well-appointed area for relaxing as you enjoy the tranquil sounds of the river and views of the Rocky Mountains. Decks or patios appear to be associated with all rooms as well. Amenities also include comfortable sofas and chairs, fridge w/separate freezer, microwave, coffeemaker as well as remote-controlled fireplaces--nice touch. In addition, it's an adults-only property. The owners were exceptionally accommodating (readied our room early and offered to store our refrigerated items while we waited) and friendly.
They get it right at Deer Crest.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Westminster
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

I loved our room overlooking the river. It was so relaxing drinking hot chocolate and listening to the river from our patio area. Great comfortable room. Large and spacious. Nice bathroom area. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

You can find newer and fancier places to stay, but I'm not sure why you would want to. Deer Crest is in a very quiet area, a little bit west of over-developed, traffic-jammed downtown Estes Park. The entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park is three miles away. We spent two days here, paying about $109 a night when you add in the lugs. It's basically a mom-and-pop motel, very pleasant, very homey. They advertise themselves as adults-only and no-smoking. Why can't more resorts do that? Most of the rooms overlook the Fall River, which is just steps from your door. You can enjoy your afternoon beverage sitting in the yard, watching gophers run through rocks, listening to the river pound its way down the valley, and looking up at mountains. The rooms are fine, decently appointed, and everything worked. The bathroom is small, and you should try for an upstairs room, because in our downstairs room you could hear people walking around upstairs. There's plenty of parking just steps from your room. The pool is nice. There is no restaurant, but an excellent one next door gives you a discount.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Littleton, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2010

Ken and Carrie were helpful with things to do in the area. They had DVD's of Rocky Mountain National Park. It was a beautiful and quiet location on the Fall River where one could enjoy your morning coffee while watching elk and marmots with the sounds of the river. It is very easy to walk on sidewalks into town and an easy drive into the National Park. Restaurant is very close by. We had a very relaxing and restful time while hiking and enjoying the outdoors. Can't wait to be able to get away again and renew ourselves there.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

I was looking for a quiet and reasonably priced place to stay while hiking through Rocky Mountain National Park during the day and writing on my laptop at night. I found that place in Deer Crest Resort. I just returned from my trip yesterday. I was more than happy to pay the extremely modest bill for my two-day stay.

The main entrance to RMNP is only a few minutes away to the west of the Resort. Estes Park (with its many restaurants) is a few minutes away in the to the east. The atmosphere of the Resort is completely functional and a bit rustic; nothing pretentious about it. And that's exactly what I was looking for. Ken, the owner, was ever-helpful. He made me feel entirely at home. I will always be grateful to him for encouraging me to borrow some of the Resort's snow shoes (at no charge) and hiking the trails at Bear Lake. I was a bit hesitant, given that it was the middle of January and it was windy, but I bundled up and hit the trails and found exquisite beauty everywhere I walked. I barely saw any people once I was on the snow-packed trails. The people at home are extremely impressed with the photos. Bottom line: Even in January, Deer Crest Resort and RMNP provided a perfect reasonably priced escape for me.

Now I'm back in St. Louis, far from those incredible mountains. When people ask me where I was, I've been telling them that I "went on a retreat," which is how it felt. Thanks, Ken!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo

Been to Deer Crest Resort? Share your experiences!