“Wonderful experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 29 hotels in Estes Park
Little Rock, Arkansas
“Wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

What a great hotel. Me and my family traveled from Arkansas last week to Estes Park, Co for a little family vacation. The silver moon inn was a perfect fit for us, great location (within walking distance from most things) I must say Colleen at the front desk was extremely helpful. She was so patient with us while she went over our room options, She gave us a room that was perfect. Right by the river, the kids loved it. What an exceptional employee. I know next time my family and I travel to Estes Park, we WILL be staying at the Silver Moon Inn!

Room Tip: Get a room by the river! Beautiful

342 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We drove by this property in June of 2013 on our way up to RMNP and were intrigued by the look of the property, as well as the outside amenities the property offered. After my in-laws stayed there in August of 2013, my wife and I decided to take the kids up to give it a shot. Before making our final decision, our desire was to find a location that was near downtown and as close to the tourist areas without actually being right in the middle of it. We were interested in dining in restaurants that were within walking distance of the hotel and to also enjoy a little entertainment and leisure without having to drive too much around town.

After searching several properties, we ended up deciding that the Silver Moon would be a great place to stay.

My career requires that I travel every couple weeks, which means I'm staying in corporate hotels around 60 days a year. This was only the second time in 11 years that I stayed in a non-corporate hotel; so I had to remind myself that expectations for such an establishment would be different than what I'm accustomed to during a normal workweek.

To summarize, we will definitely be returning to this establishment June of 2014, and we will be staying a few more days than what we did this time around.

In our situation, we traveled with a 1-year-old and a 3-year-old. So we were looking for opportunities that would help entertain the kids. For those with family, this location has a small playground out in front that includes a rope ladder, slide, 2 tire swings and monkey bars. Do be cautious that the playground is right next to the river, so younger kids may not want to play unsupervised.

When arriving at the property, you will also see that several chairs, a gazebo, a few fire pits and some larger swings are all located along the bank of the river, which are incredibly relaxing to sit on. Several establishments will have this accommodation, but I don't believe it exists this close to town.

One breakaway feature that the Silver Moon offers that I don't believe many other establishments do is the fireside s'mores roast, provided complimentary by the hotel staff. They are great in providing wood, getting the fire started, and also providing the crackers, marshmallows and Hershey's chocolate to make your own s'mores right there next to the river. The moment defines what relaxation is to me. The dry air, the campfire, the river, the s'mores combine to make for relaxing, memorable moments.

The hotel staff served above and beyond what I'm acclimated to in my business travels. They were very welcoming at check-in and provided information throughout our entire stay, including personal recommendations and feedback on places to dine and visit by fellow guests. Our stay included an incident that involved an internet outage that affected several businesses on that side of town, which led to a delay in our ability to check in to our room. But the owners were there, handling the situation with the staff and checked up on us frequently to make sure were were comfortable while waiting for the situation to resolve. And not long after the outage occurred, we were taken to our room, which was an absolute treat.

When it comes to room expectations, I'm aware that there are varying aspects which guests look for in their stay. And given that this hotel has quite a variety of room types, we ended up staying in a king room with fireplace and patio, right along the river. For us, this was absolute bliss. The room was spacious enough for the kids to play in, and it also was spacious enough for 2 pack-n-plays. The room included a small walk-in closet, a fridge and microwave, a spacious bathroom, felt-like-new carpet and linens that also felt like they were pretty new. It came with a 36" flat-screen TV (I didn't see any or many HD channels on it, but TV wasn't necessarily part of our interests). The provided toiletries include travel sizes of shampoo, conditioner, hand soap and bath soap (O2, Oxygen brand). The decor was very rustic and welcoming. It seemed the whole room was tied together in terms of design and that concepts were not just piece-mailed together. Finally, the room does have a nice sliding window above the AC unit that opens up a few feet, which provides for a great intake of that mountain-fresh air and natural white noise of the river flowing no more than 20 feet from the edge of the bed.. It gave us absolutely satisfactory sleeping conditions, which made crawling out of bed in the morning quite difficult.

The pool is a seasonal one. It's considered heated, but even at the end of summer, was still chilly as I'm assuming the heater cannot keep up with the cooling from the overnight temperatures. It does include two above-ground jacuzzis that each fit 4 people.

Breakfast is pretty standard, although they do not really offer any hot breakfast items, such as scrambled eggs, sausage or otameal. They do offer your standard breakfast beverages - milk, varying flavors of branded canned juices, and coffee. They also offer mini-bagels, packaged donuts and packaged pastries, hard-boiled eggs, apples and oranges and Pop Tarts. For many patrons, that is quite adequate. They have a handful of tables in the check-in lodge, but the bonus comes in the fact that they have tables on the patio, on the street level in front of the check-in lodge and also a few picnic tables along the riverside for you to dine on. To us, this was exceptional as, once again, they were able to capitalize on the views of the mountains and the sound of the river to accentuate the breakfast experience.

The hotel is located a little uphill from the downtown area. We were easily able to push our stroller back and forth and arrive to the edge of downtown just about 3 or 4 minutes from the hotel's parking lot. If you want a more robust breakfast offering, there is a breakfast cafe just across the parking lot. The property is also next to one of the free trolley stops, so you can commute around town easily.

Finally, the opportunity of dwelling on the same grounds as various wild animals tops off this experience. In one example, we saw 3 elk walk across the pedestrian bridge on the edge of the hotel property, which was about 20 feet from where we were standing, and graze on some of the property's trees before moving along to the amphitheater just west of the property.

My parting advice would be to ask yourself how much you value the experience of the room itself when booking. The owner was great in recommending the room for us after we described our interests to her. I did read a review on here where someone was critical of their room due to its size, but it was a room that was intended to be nothing more than a bed and bathroom for those who plan on being away the entire day. So be sure to call them up and tell them what you are interested in and they'll likely put you in the most optimal place.

As I said at the beginning, I look forward to patronizing the Silver Moon Inn again next year. Thank you, staff, for making this experience one that we will remember for years to come!

Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We just returned from traveling throughout Colorado and spent three nights at the Silver Moon Inn. It is a great spot for families, with the Big Thompson River right there, lots of rocks to climb on, fire pits to make s'mores and a swing set. The pool was small, but nice to relax in after a day of hiking, as were the two hot tubs. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Beds were quite comfortable, as well. The hotel's location made it quite easy to walk to restaurants and shopping in Estes Park, yet you still felt a bit removed from the town. Our room (106) was on the ground floor, right near all the chairs and fire pits next to the river. It was a bit noisy at night -- this would be my only complaint -- but we could have booked a different room. We loved waking up to see elk in the parking lot, too!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Thank you for looking after us during our stay. We had a great time. The staff is awesome. It was like visiting family. Thank you to Kevin for his advice about the area. Thank you to Chad for looking after our room. The stream running by the inn and the nightly fire pit are charming. We were able to relax and found ourselves refreshed.

• Stayed August 2013
las vegas, nv
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We had originally booked at a sister property of Silver Moon Inn which wasn’t satisfactory for us and the staff there made arrangements for us to stay at Silver Moon Inn. I just looked at pictures other travelers took and now I know we just got the worst possible room. The only table in the room is the one pictured with the only chairs in the room. When I set up my laptop there wasn’t room for anything else, not even a cup of coffee. I wanted to make coffee in the coffee maker provided, but it was a search to find some place to put it. There was one table by one of the beds, also very small. They provided a refrigerator and microwave, but there wasn’t a chest of any sort in which we could store our clothes. We used one of the beds as a bureau. The toilet seat broke and someone came to fix it, but had to go to another property to get what he needed to complete repairs. On the plus side, the staff was very friendly. My advice here is look at the room before you check in.

Room Tip: Ask to see a room before you check-in.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

A sweet place to stay with amenable staff, clean rooms, decent detour, good location, live entertainment and wonderful facilities along the river. If you need to spend any degree of waking time at this hotel then that time is better spent out of the room. If the weather is good then one is spoiled for choice just outside your room - pool, hot tub, bbq, picnic tables, fire pits, listening to music or just river watching. If you are confined to your room, it is a pity that there is little privacy unless you totally pull down the blinds and have no view outside. Passersby in the corridor can look in on you in your bed unless the blinds are totally down and these windows are the only natural light that there is.

Room Tip: Just adjust.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Estes Park, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Our trip is only halfway over and I already have so many good things to say about this Inn. The staff are EXCELLENT, truly first rate. Even though everyone seems 25 or under, the attentiveness and customer service is bar none. Whether its the diverse complimentary breakfast bar, the free firewood and samores fixings for the fire pits by the river, or the helpful suggestions for things to do, I haven't had a better experience at anything other than the most expensive hotels or resorts.

And although this isn't a luxury hotel, the accommodations are more than adequate. The location is just about perfect, a couple blocks from downtown, next to the open air music facility in the park next door, and only a few miles from several Rocky Mountain Park entrances. The river running by, with a playground for little ones, seating and swings for families and friends, free gas grills, and pool all combine to make this Inn a standout. No question that if we vacationed in Estes again, we'd stay at Silver Moon Inn.

Room Tip: First floor rooms provide easier access to onsite amenities next to the river.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Silver Moon Inn? Share your experiences!