“Do Not Stay Here!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Spruce Lake RV Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Spruce Lake RV Park
1050 Mary's Lake Rd., Estes Park, CO 80517   |
Colorado
“Do Not Stay Here!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I made reservations to stay at Spruce Lake, then 3 hours later I had to cancel due to my husband having to fly out of town the weekend we were going to be there. They said it was not their policy to refund deposits. Travelers beware!!!! Read the reviews before you book your stay at this camp ground.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jim B, Manager at Spruce Lake RV Park, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
You are correct about our refund policy. That is explained when we make the reservation and the again when you get your confirmation. We always offer to move your reservation to sometime this season or the next year. We always try to work with our guests.

70 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Arvada, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

We have been staying at Spruce Lake RV Park for the last 15 years. It is a quaint little park within walking distance to restaurants, fast food, liquor store, and the park has several amenities:
Clean bathrooms, showers, and laundry area, swimming pool, hot tub, mini Putting Golf, community room for ice cream socials or bingo, community fire pit for marshmallow roasting, play ground with swings, designated dog walk area, “pay” stocked trout pond all on the door step of Rocky Mountain National Park.
I personally have not stayed in their cabins but I have seen the inside of one of them and they looked very nice. If you want a hotel room, go to a hotel – these are cabins. You want a “fancy” RV park with concrete spaces then go somewhere else.
The people here have always been friendly and nice to us. That is why we have been going back for so many years.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

My wife and I along with our 5 year old stayed here for two weeks in July. Overall it is nice. I have read where people complain about small sites, but I have stayed at much smaller sites other places. There is room for your camper (mine is 30' with two slides), vehicle and a picnic table within your boundary. The person who left a bad review because they disagreed with the reservation policy clearly stated on their website should stay off of Tripadvisor as many use this site to get information about the actual place. I think the reservation policy online is a little strange, but you do know what it is before participating and you can call directly if you like. I think it is a little pricey even with a weekly and Good Sam discount. The rv park is convenient to the RMNP and one of the closest to the Beaver Meadows entrance. The rv park has nice bathrooms/showers, adequate WiFi and a friendly staff. The playground is sufficient. I did pay to fish in the lake and was able to catch my 3 trout every time I fished. The lake is stocked with trout, but I do not know how often. The Big Thompson River runs along the campground and can be fished with a State license. We had Elk walk through the campground as well as nightly visits by at least one Black Bear. Our site had Cable, water and sewer. It did rain a little almost every afternoon. I will be returning. The climate is awesome and I don't think you could ever see enough of RMNP. I did not spend much time in the actual town, but Estes Park is within a couple of miles and has everything you could want. Estes Park is a little pricey on groceries etc..., so you will want to stop somewhere else if possible for your major groceries. There is a small grocery store and liquor store within a short walk (300 yds.+/-) from the rv park.

Room Tip: Get a North/South site if you have windows on the end of your camper as the East sun is bright in th...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

We chose this campground for the little extras and location. It had pancake breakfasts (delicious) and ice cream socials (free/donation) on the weekends and very close to Beaver Meadows entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park. I reserved 3 months early, and asked for a lot on an end after reading posts here about the close lots. ( lots are closer at all Estes Park campgrounds). I felt at least an end lot would give us breathing room as we are in a pop up tent trailer. We were able to put up our awning with screen room with no problem and still had 10 to 12 feet width of grassy area where the picnic table was. The lots had short log rail fences between lto keep everybody in their own area, which I appreciated. The only close feeling is behind you, the neighbors there get close. Luckily the 6 of 7 days we spent there we had pop up campers on our one side and back so we never felt crowded and I had a lovely view of snow capped mountains as I awoke each morning. That all changed the day before we left, when a huge fifth wheel with slide outs and two cars came alongside us. If you come with a large fifth wheel or larger RV, expect to park in more of your picnic area, and do not bring two cars here.
The pool was clean, though a little cold for my husband and I. They also have a small hot tub. The fishing pond is pleasant to sit by and we saw a few families paying the 8.50 or so daily fee to fish. We decided not to because of the fee is per person and you are limited to 3 fish.
Other amenities were the playground for children, decent wifi even at our lot furthest from office, and cable. My teenager was pleased, Wifi did slow down at supper time and rainy days, we solved that by letting him play 10 to midnight.
Our lot was very close to the river that encompasses the back of the campground, which was a pleasant "white noise" for sleeping and keeping neighbor noises down . I did not see anyone patrolling for quiet hours, and was a little worried when two people decided to have a twenty minute argument starting at 11;00 pm one night in the road next to our lot. This was the only occurrence, thank goodness.
The small store at the office didn't offer much other than candy bars, but a small bridge crossing the river at the back of the campground put the Country Market within walking distance.
In between neighbors, and when a few lots were empty we had herds of Elk visit the campground over 3 days time. I sat in my screened area as elk families grazed in my lot.
One particularly hot day a juvenile black bear was taking a dip in the pond behind the campground that the river comes out of. It ambled down the river more and over the next couple of days there was sightings of the bear in the river area by the campground. I never saw it come into the camground. I don't think bears are really a problem as their waste receptacles are regular variety and not the sealed ones you see in the RMNP.
I would stay here again, but next time I would ask for one of the 7 shaded lots . They have no back neighbors, close to everything and view of the mountains if you sit in front of your lot, and of course, shade.

• Stayed July 2012
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

I would not recommend Spruce Lake RV park!!! We made reservations and we were required to put down a $75.00 deposit. Within 7 hours, we had to cancel our trip. We called and told the management that we would not even be coming to Estes and asked would they refund our deposit since it had been less than 7 hours when we made the reservation? They said they would not. I cannot see that this 7 hour window would have kept them from renting out this spot. It was made a month and half in advance. This is not ethical or good business practices for such a short time. They just wanted to take some extra money from a customer. We cancelled right away, 7 hours, so they could open up this spot. Again, we would not recommend this park. Travelers beware!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Salina, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

We were there over Memorial Day weekend...very crowed, yet everyone had fun, swimming, fishing and picnicimg . The crew was very helpful . Office was slow and under trained for such a busy time, Overall, I'd go back....and tell my friends.

• Stayed May 2012
Clackamas, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

The surroundings are nice, with both fishing pond and river on site, trees and mountain views as well. The personnel I met are all great. The negatives that detract from the score are all dirt sites that track sandy gravel in the rig when damp; having the same price for 30 amp sites as 50 amp ones; an unreliable WiFi that is sometimes fast but too often unusable, even with only 8 or 10 guest RVs in the resort and even if I park my computer on the office porch; a closed office on Sundays; and we encountered some confusion re. our initial site as we were told we'd have to move after a couple of days due to it being reserved then - but documents in the reservation box were not for our site, but rather an adjoining one. We were told to prepare to move just in case they showed and insisted on our site.

The prices are a bit steep, but normal for the area I guess.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Spruce Lake RV Park? Share your experiences!