“A nice escape from Denver” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Estes Park Resort

Save Saved
You added The Estes Park Resort to your Saves list
The Estes Park Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1700 Big Thompson Ave, Estes Park, CO 80517 (Formerly Lake Shore Lodge Mountain Hotel & Conference Center)   |
Ranked #20 of 30 hotels in Estes Park
GreenLeadersSilver level
Orlando, Florida
“A nice escape from Denver”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I stayed here with my boyfriend for my 25th birthday for two nights. Our room was handicapped accessible (although we are not handicapped) and was located directly across from the elevators on the second floor which was noisy and annoying while people were coming and going during the day. I also did not like that the balcony on our room runs around the entire outside of the hotel. Balconies are not seperated by room, so there is no privacy. I wanted to open the door and get some fresh air but I didn't feel comfortable doing that because anyone outside could just walk into our room and hear our conversations. Our view was over the lake, which was very pretty. The bathroom was very odd and uncomfortable to us. The shower was litterally only 6 feet tall by about 3 feet deep and 3 feet wide and it being handicapped accessible, their was a fold-up seat in the shower. Even when folded up, you can image there was not much room to move around. We kind of had to duck down under the shower head to rinse off. I really suggest avoiding a handicapped accessible room unless its necessary for your needs. The last morning there was no hot water so we couldn't take showers. We mentioned it at the front desk at checkout and they gave us half off our room for one night, which I felt was generous. For that and the fact that the staff was all friendly, their customer service was pretty good. The room was overall clean and comfortable, but really nothing special. I don't think it was worth the $250 a night we paid for, maybe like $150. We both agree that what we really loved about this hotel was the bar and restaurant. The food was really good, and the bartender was willing to have some fun with us and make us "mystery" drinks. After eating some really nasty food in town the first night we ate all the rest of our meals at the hotel and never had anything bad. The location of the hotel was perfect. Only a couple of miles to attractions like the Stanley hotel, but slightly removed from downtown Estes Park in a pretty, quiet, peaceful location on the lake.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Christopher C, General Manager at The Estes Park Resort, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Hi Kensley,
Thank you for being our guest, and for taking the time to share your experience. I am happy to see you enjoyed your stay with us. If you would like to join us again in the future, feel free to "like" our facebook page, where we on occassion do offer specials and promotions. I hope to see you again!

222 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

My company and I just finished doing a conference at the hotel with about 175 people. Overall it was a great experience.... I like the property and hope to return again soon. The Sales Manager was excellent. According to my company's in-house Events manager, she was highly professional and a joy to work with. The ballroom was perfect for our needs and everyone loved the huge windows overlooking the lake. Toby, the engineering services manager, was extremely accommodating and friendly. I had a nice suite with good furniture and decoration, and everything was clean and worked well. As is so typical these days housekeeping rarely replaced the amenities during my 5 night stay but I have learned to bring my own. The front desk staff deserves an award. They were friendly and helpful even when handling requests from our large group. The resort is located on a small lake with lots of hiking trails and water activities. It's a relaxed, beautiful setting. The one huge disappointment was the restaurant. The hotel is aware of the problem but it is still a problem. They were terribly understaffed. Service was slower than slow, orders were mixed up, and many menu items were not available. Daniel and the bartenders were doing a great job under the circumstances but one waitress would not let us move to a difference table (even though the restaurant was empty at the time) and after questioning her why not she told us she was tired of our group! I think she is just tired of her job. The food was actually good and the chef was nice, but overall the restaurant is in chaos. Plan to eat somewhere else unless you are assured that there is plenty of staff and you will receive you food within 15 minutes after ordering or it's on the house. Other than this, it's a clean, well-managed property in a beautiful setting.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Greetings- Thank you for being our guest! I am pleased to hear you had a pleasant experience at our resort, and a productive event with us. I apologize for any inconvenience caused in our restaurant - we are working hard to improve every area of our resort, and the restaurant is one area that is currently getting my full attention - staff is being increased quickly, and I can confidently say that between the time you stayed with us, and today - we have already added on enough team members to make significant improvements. I hope the next time you are in the area, you can stop by, see the improvements - and enjoy another dinner with us. Thank you again for staying with us!
washington, dc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed a night on our way to Rocky Mountain National Park. We booked this property based on the reviews from this website and the fact that the lodge had recently been renovated. I think the new owners did a great job with the renovations. The rooms were very nicely decorated, the bed comfortable, and the front desk staff very accomodating. I do agree that the rooms are a bit small, but we were only on the property for one night. We had a fantastic view of the lake from our room. We were originally booked into a mountain view double queen room, which we were told was the only room available when I called the hotel. On arrival, we asked at the front desk for a lake view and they were able to put us into a king room with a sofa bed. A little tight, but we loved the views of the lake and mountains so it was worth being a little cramped for the night.

The staff at the front desk was wonderful and clearly care about making your experience at the hotel a good one. Our only complaint was the restaurant/bar. While the food was delicious, the service in the evening was pretty bad. They only had 3 people working the dining area and we ended up having the bartender be our waiter. It took a long time for him to take our orders and then the wrong food was delivered to the table. It took such a long time to get our meals that I decided to eat the salmon instead of the trout dinner that I had ordered. He did give me a discount on my meal. Everyone in the restaurant was very nice, but the service was just totally unprofessional. They couldn't even figure out how to charge our meal to our hotel room. On the other hand, the lady who waited on us for breakfast was wonderful and very professional.The hotel needs to work on this weak link in the dining room right away because a number of people on this board have already noted the bad service in the dining room. This resort will be a top hotel once they upgrade the service in the hotel restaurant. Given the other options in Estes Park, I believe that the Estes Park Resort is one of the best hotel choices in town and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Christopher C, General Manager at The Estes Park Resort, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Hello HRmomx2;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here with others. We value all our guest's feedback and use it daily to improve the quality of our products and services we provide! While I was very pleased to hear you were satisfied with your overall stay with us, I am dissappointed to see we did not live up to your expectations in our restaurant. We are working diligently to improve our service, and will use your testamonial as an example of how we can better ourselves. Thank you again for your feedback, I hope that the next time you are in Estes Park, you will grant us the honor of serving you again and experiencing our improvements first hand.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

Rooms nice and clean but small. Views are amazing. Air conditioning regulated with outdoor temp. Our room was hot response is open sliding door onto common patio. These goes security and privacy. Bar displayed a beautiful tall bloody Mary with a skewer to die for. Ordered one got a small glass very light pour no garnish. I asked and bartender said for display only sorry. Total misrepresentation. I would not stay here again

• Stayed July 2012
Wadsworth, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We booked a last minute stay, so we were thankful that they had a room available. I originally booked a "garden view" room; after reading more reviews about this hotel, I discovered that there was no air conditioning in the "garden view" rooms. I called the hotel to inquire, and the staff was very helpful and said that there was not air conditioning in the room that we had reserved. Therefore, they gave me a free upgrade to their "lake view" room. (The most expensive room of the three types of room, lake view, mountain view, and garden view). The hotel is nice, recently remodeled. However, the rooms are a bit small for 4 people. They also had a laundry room with 2 washers and 2 dryers that cost $1 per load each. We had been traveling for 2 weeks, so we needed laundry facilities, and this was not advertised on their website. We were glad for the convenience of on-site laundry.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hi StephanieM;
Thank you for being our guest! You are correct, we do have 5 guest rooms in our Garden Level which do have ceiling fans, however not air conditioning - which generally is acceptable as the temps tend to get into the 50's or 60's most summer nights - however the remaining guest rooms and the rest of the resort (as you experienced does have A/C). We are currently in the process of determining if we can add A/C to these last few rooms. I am glad to hear our Front Office was able to accommodate you and provide you with one of our Lakeview rooms! I thank you for your feedback, and hope next time you are in Estes, we will see you again!
Thousand Oaks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Stayed here last Wednesday night with my sister and her boys. Awesome lake view from our room! The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The room wasn't huge, but it was very cute, super clean and the beds were very comfy - feather pillows! We had the ground/slightly below grade level, but it had a big window and slider, and we were able to walk right out the patio and start walking around the path at the lake. I would prefer the ground level again in the future. We ate breakfast outside on the deck and had yummy food and great conversation with a local retiree who eats there everyday. It was a great start to our vacation, and a perfect spot to unwind from the daily grind back in CA. The pool is indoors, pretty small and smelled of chemicals is the only downside of the hotel that I noticed. I will definitely go back again and stay longer.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Hello My4doggles,
Thank you for staying with us! I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your experience with us, and enjoyed our walk out lakeview rooms! Thank you for your comment regarding our pool area, this is not typical, but we will certainly take swift action to ensure the odor source is eliminated. I hope you can join us again the next time you are in Estes Park!
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

I just completed an AMAZING 31 hour Ladies Road Trip from CA to WI and reserved this as one of the stops along the way. This had everything from unbelievable views, helpful employees, great food, Beer/wine, spectacular rooms...as well as very clean and comfy! I would not hesitate staying here. The price was higher than most but you definitely get what you pay for :)

Room Tip: All rooms have a view...so choose away :)