“Less than we expected” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 30 Hotels in Estes Park
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
“Less than we expected”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

We were at the hotel for a family wedding. Our "mountain view" room faced the parking lot (we had paid extra for the mountain view). The room was fine, clean, etc.
Just a few hours after leaving, I realized I had left a blouse hanging in the closet. Even tho' that room was unoccupied for the night, it just couldn't be located and wasn't turned in by the housekeeping staff. (It seems to me that there would have only been one housekeeper in the room).
I travel for work and stay at hotels all over the country. For the rates of this hotel, I would expect more.
There are hotels all along the road with a similar view. I would recommend staying at one of those.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Nutley, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

The room was not well kept. The carpet was ripped & molding damaged. Housekeeping was less than spectacular, though the towels & sheets were clean. For the price, expected continental breakfast, but it was not included. Restaurant hotel very poor quality & bar over priced.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Christopher C, General Manager at The Estes Park Resort, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Hello DMama-
I am so sorry you did not have an enjoyable experience when you were with us. Please know - we hear you! As of May 2012- our ownership has invested about 2 Million dollars to completely renovate every one of our guest rooms, and all of our public areas - We can confidently say we now have the nicest rooms in town, to go with our naturally amazing views! I do apologize for the experience you had - but ask that you please consider giving us another opportunity to serve your travel needs. I can say you will not be disappointed again!
Cheyenne, Wyoming
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

My husband and I held our wedding reception at Lakeshore Lodge in Estes Park, Colordao on July 29, 2011. It was the biggest nightmare I have ever experienced. We live in Wyoming and made several trips to EP every month to work out wedding details. We signed a contract with Lakeshore in October and in March we were notified that the even coordinator was no longer working there (not by the facility, but by a family member who found out that the person was no longer there). The facility/event coordinator never contacted us to let us know who we were supposed to be dealing with now. By this time we had already made two of the four payments for our event. I would call and never get a return phone call, the manager was never available, and it seemed as if no one there knew who I should be dealing with. By May we had met with the new coordinator, Julie, and discussed details such as food, liquor, etc. A couple weeks after meeting with her we call to speak with her and were informed that "Julie no longer holds that position". Again, weeks went by with no return phone calls and managers changing positions. The communication in this place is non-existent and I cannot even tell you how stressful these people made my wedding. We also had a block of 20 rooms for family coming to the wedding. Everyone in our room block got over-charged, the facility was confused on who was supposed to be in which rooms, and they even tried to tell us they didn't have rooms for some of our guests. Only when we provided copies of reservations were the rooms "magically" found. To be dealing with this kind of stuff the day before my wedding was horrible. The day of the wedding the reception room was not set up how we had discussed (which was no big surprise since we dealt with so many different people). The new event coordinator, Megan, never introduced herself to me or my husband and it seemed as if this was the first job she had ever had. The day after the wedding I finally thought, at least I don't have to deal with these people anymore and it's over. Wrong. We got our bill for the final payment, which was supposed to be the same as the previous 3 payments we had made, and it was almost double. Luckily we had our contract with us where it clearly shows what is owed on the last day. When asked what the extra charges were the manager, Cory, told us it was the 18% gratuity and 7% tax. When we showed him in the contract that the tax and gratuity was already included in the total price he changed his story and said that the extra money was actually based on the number of adults at the event. He tried to tell us that all of our guests were adults and there were no kids there. At this point I can't even believe what I am hearing because there were over 20 children at our reception, but Lakeshore wanted us to pay the adult price for them. We made our final payment according to our contract which was based on 150 people (we in fact had less than that attend and over 20 of them were kids). This was supposed to be a wonderful time for me but it turned into the worst experience of my life. I cannot even express how much of a headache this was over the last eight months. And then by the time it was all over they tried to charge us double without really even knowing why. Management is horrible and communication is NON-EXISTENT. I just want all future brides planning an Estes Park wedding to know that this place is not worth it! They have great views, but beware! You would think because you are spending over $15,000 at a place that the customer service would be better. Don't waste your money at this facility, but most importantly, save yourself the stress and headaches. Lakeshore Lodge and it's staff are awful and I will NEVER return!!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
LakeShoreLodgeCO, General Manager at The Estes Park Resort, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
Despite the circumstances that led up to this event with new ownership of the hotel and a new management team, this event was a huge success for the bride and groom and guests. Comments from the guests included that the facility was wonderful and the food was great. This group had a rehearsal dinner, wedding reception and breakfast the following day with guest rooms as well. We had no complaints from anyone during the stay. We accommodated the setup people the best we could on the day of the wedding and everything went off on schedule. We appreciate all of our guests feedback, we only hope for constructive feedback that is truthful that will allow us to provide the best guest experience here in Estes Park.
Des Moines, IA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

The room was stuffy when we checked in after hiking in RMNP but we turned down the thermostat and went to the pool & hot tub. Guess having a thermostat and ceiling fan in my room should have been my first clues! Anywho... the room wasn't any cooler after returning from the pool/hot tub so we called the front deck inquiring how to turn on the air conditioning. They asked my room number and then said "garden level" rooms don't have air conditioning. They offered to bring us an extra fan to help with air circulation and I accepted. Someone arrived promptly with a 6 inch fan which we put in the window to attempt to draw in the cool evening air .

If you choose to stay here, demand a non-garden level room. While it may cool down at night, you have no privacy nor security with yourgarden level windows and curtains open. Also, nothing dries.. towels, swimsuits.. .you get the picture. Hontestly, who builds a hotel with rooms without AC?

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Christopher C, General Manager at The Estes Park Resort, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Hello and Thank You for being our guest!
I am sorry to hear you were not informed of the fact that our Garden View rooms do not have A/C. Of our 55 total rooms, only about 6 do not have air conditioning - but truthfully - that is not uncommon in Estes Park, or many mountain communities. With temperatures often getting down into the 50's even in the middle of summer - many of our homes do not even have a/c, simply because it is not something that is needed more than 2 or 3 times per year. We are looking into what it would take to add this service to these last few rooms. These rooms are generally less expensive than our typical rooms to compensate for lack of this amenity. I hope the next time you come to Estes Park - you will try us again, and stay in a non-garden view room - The views of our other rooms (with ac) will impress you!
Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

We spent three nights here, check in was awesome! Very courteous and fast.....same with check out, my husband wasn't even finished loading luggage before I was done. We took our two grandkids ages 8 and 10 with us, they loved the pool and game room. Maintenance men had to come in the pool area while we were there to change a light bulb, they were so nice!!!
Beds were very comfortable, I guess the only thing I did not like is the sink was not in the bathroom, it was in the living area where the 2 queen beds were so when I woke up earlier than the rest of my family and I wanted to get dressed to go walk, I had to turn a light on to put my make up on which woke them up.
And I believe housekeeping should have done a better job for us while we were out, they did not clean out our coffee pot or bring us clean glasses. But that's minor details, I loved the area, the space, the view was incredible.....I would stay there again without hesitation!

New Berlin, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights before going to the Lane Guest Ranch, we stay in Estes Park to get used to the Mt. air.
We had a king room on 3rd floor with a balcony. Overall very nice hotel, rooms were large, clean, nicely done. Service was excellent, very nice hotel staff from front desk to housekeeping. Food was way above avg. we had breakfast every morning @ hotel. Omlets were outstanding, lunch also excellent. Did not have dinner there.
The view from our room was worth the trip. On our first morning @ 6:00 AM, opened up drapes and saw a mom elk and baby calf drinking from Lake Estes, woke up my wife for this sight. Will remember that sight for the rest of our lives. In the evening we could see 100"s of trout jumping from the lake, feeding maybe 50 feet away, right from our balcony. The Estes Lake walking trail is right outside the door, people walking dogs of all kinds, joggers, etc, added a nice touch.
Overall an excellent place to stay. Only negitive points
1. Balcony is not priviate, it runs along the outside of hotel, but is connected to your room via patio doors.
2. Entire hotel could use an update, futniture old and worn, but clean, same for carpets.
3. Shuttle does not stop there, so getting to downtown area without car requires a taxi, only $10 dollars.
Best positive points
1. Staff, servers in resturant were great, on first name basis on first day.
2. Food was just outstanding
3. THE VIEW FROM THE ROOM!!!!!! Unforgetable, just unforgetable.
4. Nice resturant for dinner 3 min. walk thru parking lot.

As we already booked Lane Guest Ranch for next year in Aug. I believe we will stay here again for 3 days, this time staying in a corner suite with fireplace and hot tub in room, if possible the view appears to be even better, and balconies are private.

Room Tip: 3rd foor offer the best view, even with kids running around hotel, very quite in room.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Lemont, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

Nice indoor pool. However, please note that for the high price, their 1st floor rooms are really in the basement. Also, breakfast is $15.00 per person with no complimentary coffee in sight. The hotel charged us for two nights when we only stayed one night. We notified them as soon as we caught their mistake a few days later, but the staff insisted that we "changed" our stay to two nights after our one night, which we did no such thing. They reluctantly agreed to issue us refund, but failed to do so. Now my credit card is starting an investigation and will see we were in South Dakota that next day/night....This is just too much trouble and aggravation. Just stay in a cheaper place that has similar views (there are many hotels on that road by that lake), get coffee and breakfast included, and maybe even be walking distance to the downtown shops...We're just disappointed for the money.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Christopher C, General Manager at The Estes Park Resort, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Hello,
Thank you for being our guest! I am very sorry to see you did not have a more positive experience with us. All our rooms have been recently renovated, and our product is now the nicest in Estes Park. We have also made some other improvements, for example, complimentary coffee is now available in our lobby until 10am. While other hotels in town do have some great views - we are the only hotel on Lake Estes, and no one else in town can offer you both lake, and mountain views. I am pleased to see we did correct the problem regarding the number of nights you were charged- I apologize for the delay in getting this resolved. Thank you for your feedback.

Been to The Estes Park Resort? Share your experiences!