“Missing some basics” 2 of 5 stars

970-402-1486
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Whether you’re a regular rider or looking to enhance your Estes Park vacation with a true western horseback riding experience – you’ve come to the right place! We offer a personalized touch – customizing your Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park horseback rides and special ordering your livestock feed to meet your horse, chicken, or other livestock’s special needs.
Denver
97 attraction reviews
“Missing some basics”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Got to the horseback ride in plenty of time for our 10:00 am ride. Noticed the first problem when the place where you check-in (which is a business) smelled like cigarette smoke inside. I mentioned it and the woman checking us said, yes they were smoking in the back. Hmm, I thought it was against the law to smoke inside a business in the state of Colorado. Next, I asked for helmets for my 2 daughters and was told they didn't have helmets because their horses are really nice. Hmm, 2 strikes but we're here and kids are already in love with the horses.

It took a while to get everyone on their horse but the staff was very nice about letting kids pick their horse and get acquainted. Once everyone was on their horses it was 10:15 am. I asked the guide if they would be back in 1 hour (which was what we booked a 1 hour horse back ride). She said yes. I checked my watch and decided to return in one hour which would be 11:15 am. I went into town and came promptly back at 11:15. My family had been waiting on me as they returned from their ride at exactly 11:00 am.

The deal we bought also included a hot cocoa which was never offered or given to us. So we were jipped by 15 mins out of 60 for time and of the hot cocoa. There are plenty of other places to ride and I would recommend one of them.

At the end I heard the guides complaining that people were not tipping well. When we were not provided the full time nor the hot cocoa, I was not tipping on top of it.

Visited June 2012

Colorado
17 attraction reviews
“Great Choice for a Fun Family Activity”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

My wife and I went for the breakfast and horse ride. The breakfast was good and had great variety -- hot and cold items, not some wimpy continental junk. The ride is more geared towards families and beginners. I need to make one important note. During our ride, there was a child that was getting afraid. The group stopped, the wranglers worked with the parents to calm her down, and one of the wranglers stayed with her the rest of the ride, at times taking her on alternate routes to prevent her from becoming more afraid. If nothing else, this made a HUGE difference in the way I saw this business before I got there (which was based on some questionable reviews) and after the ride. Any place that has people who are willing to take that kind of time and have that kind of insight regarding kids is worth their horses' weights in gold!

Visited June 2012
Hutto, Texas, United States
3 attraction reviews
“Horseback Riding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Beautiful morning to horseback up inside Rocky Mountain Park! The scenery was beautiful, calming and relaxing. The guides were great and horses gentle!

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Not well organized”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

We purchased the Breakfast Buffet and Ride. The tin plates used for breakfast were dirty. The food was decent. The wranglers never asked anyone about their riding experience. Guests were just picking horses they thought were attractive. My husband and I were eventually assigned horses because I didn't think it was a good idea to pick a horse based on its markings. Again, we were never asked about our riding experience. We have gone on several horse riding trails in the past and expected to be assigned a horse based on experience and have also had horses lined up depending on how they get along. This did not happen. The wranglers were very friendly and tried to be helpful, but one wrangler was on a horse that apparently he was trying to tame. Not such a good idea on a horse ride with guests of varying experience and horses that can be spooked by such behavior. There was not enough instruction and care given to ensure that everyone was confident with the ride. I would try another stable.

belmont, mi
8 attraction reviews
“Best Horseback Ride Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

We went out to Colorado for the weekend because my wife had never seen the mountains. I had seen the Groupon for Estes Park Horseback and thought that it would be a neat experience and a good way to experience the mountains of Colorado. I am so glad that I did.

We went on a nice slow trail ride through some of the most beautiful areas ever. The land that they take you through is gorgeous with some great views of Rocky Mountain National Park.

I liked this trail ride because it was not the same tired loop that so many trail rides take you on. Dustin, our guide, gave an entirely individual experience. You can tell he is out there doing this because it is what he loves to do. We would ride on trails with rock rising up one side and very steep drop off on the other side. We went over mountains and through forests and by the base of Old Man Mountain.

This is a great time. The staff there is as friendly as any I've ever met. The views are great. If you are looking for a trail ride, I would definitely recommend Estes Park Horseback.