“Meh.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Baldpate Inn

Save Saved
You added The Baldpate Inn to your Saves list
The Baldpate Inn
2.5 of 5 Inn   |   4900 South Highway 7, PO Box 700, Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO 80517   |
Ranked #18 of 21 Estes Park B&B and Inns
New York
“Meh.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Building and room were nice. Staff (college kids) were a bit obnoxious. A more interested in screwing around with each other than serving guests. Tried to sit on the communal porch to enjoy the evening and one them was having a loud and long conversation on their cell phone. Which would be annoying in any case but was particularly so given that they were staff.

Breakfast was a bit strage. Three-courses were:
1. Strawberrys in a bowl and a muffin,
2. A thin piece of cornbread with half-melted cheddar and maple syrup (seriously).
3. An undercooked cinnamon roll.

Wonderful location but staff and the breakfast half of things were definitely a let down.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

68 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

In July, after driving from Iowa back to California...we detoured! No ideas except I'd dreamed of going to Estes Park for years. Not only were we in awe of this grand and inviting inn, but treated like royalty! Our arrival was quite late and upon checking in, the gracious hosts ensured we had tea, brownies, and lemon poppyseed muffins in our room as well as a pitcher of ice water! Unexpected and absolutely delicious!!!
Our room had a toilet closet but no bath, which actually we didn't mind at all! The bathing rooms were FUNTASTIC! Reminded me with its claw foot tubs of an era gone by, and it was extremely relaxing!
We then headed down to breakfast and was promptly seated by a window overlooking the beautiful valley! I stared out the window praying we'd be back soon and my heart ached at the thought of check out time approaching! One day is certainly not enough at this beauty of a spot!!! Hummingbirds greeted us from outside our windows view and entertained us throughout our breakfast. Which by the way was phenomenal! Fresh berries with a Rhubarb Strawberry muffin, followed by Bacon Cheddar Maple Cake!! Yes I said cake for breakfast!!! Yummy! Followed by an extremely hearty sized cinnamon roll!!
Yes we in fact needed a to-go container!
My husband and I did a little walk around, he decided to nap before our departure, I instead headed to the library with a cup of tea and before I knew it, 2 hours had gone by..I'd fallen asleep on their cozy leather sofa! Honestly a comfortable and inviting place!
Read the Book about the 7 Keys to Baldpate, and Lois' cookbook is a MUST HAVE!
We will be back every year! I pray that those who read this review don't go expecting a 5 Star Hotel, but instead receive 5 star service from a historic, amazing and comfortable inn with LOTS of wonderful stories to tell!!
P.S. Plan to leave a key behind for their key collection and make your mark in history!
P.P.S. Lois I need more recipes!!!!

Love,
The Sheldon's
Napa, CA

• Stayed July 2012
BaldpateInn, Manager at The Baldpate Inn, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Thank you for the outstanding review you have written for us! It is an honor that we had made your first trip to Estes Park such a special one! We will be happy to have you return to our inn next year as well as coming years. Don’t forget to let us know that you are Key Customer now when you decide to return. Hope our recipes are keeping the Baldpate memories alive for your family! We are looking forward to your return.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Think of the place as the old-fashioned cabin of an eccentric relative and you will be happy. It is all wood and all creaks. The beds are OK and some bedrooms have private baths. The porch has rocking chairs (creak, creak) and hummingbirds. The food is decent, but a throwback to the 1950s (the salad has marshmallows). There are two cabins for those who want a little more privacy. There is no AC of course, but even on hot days the rooms cool down at night. The staff are young and cheerful. All in all, a good experience, as long as you are not expecting the Fours Seasons, or even the Best Western.

Room Tip: ask for the top floor- fewer creaks.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I find the appeal of The Baldpate Inn difficult to render in language--and I'm an English teacher. There is deep history in its walls, and you can almost feel the nearly 100 years' worth of guests who've visited. If you spend slow and leisurely time perusing the photos in the dining room, the keys in the museum, and the details nestled in the corners, you'll start to feel that you've become a part of something and someplace bigger than yourself. (I'm biased on that account--I discovered, quite by accident, that my grandparents honeymooned here in 1937. But I only found out after I arrived for the first time 15 years ago)

As a previous (negative) reviewer has noted, there are few amenities at the Baldpate-- but that's one of the things I love about it. There's no pool. No fitness center. There's only one television, and it's hidden away in a back room library. Only a few of the rooms have a private bath en suite. But there are so many quiet nooks in which to sit and read, think, or talk. The breezes on the porch are delightful, as are the hummingbirds, squirrels, and jays that surround the entryway. The space encourages simplification and serenity. I sat for hours on the porch and simply was. How many modern spaces enable that sort of calm?

The rooms are small and sparsely furnished, and some of the small details are showing their age. But again, that's sort of appealing to me. There's time embedded in these bits of the Inn that are fraying around the edges.

The food at both breakfast and dinner is elegantly comfortable. It lacks a lot of variety on a given day, but it's filling and well-prepared. The staff is earnest, personable, and friendly, and the owner seems like she genuinely values and appreciates your willingness to visit. Family, rather than corporation, seems to set the tone and create the ethos of the place.

I've stayed here twice in 15 years, and both visits inspired lasting feelings of peace and contentment. I can't say that about any other place in Estes Park, perhaps because of the loud and obnoxious carnival vibe surrounding the town itself. But I imagine that the things I love about the Baldpate would tend to discourage high-maintenance, difficult people. If you appreciate deep roots, quirky charm, quiet hospitality, simple comforts, and laid-back friendliness, stay here. If you're willing to meet the place halfway, it'll prove amply rewarding.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
BaldpateInn, Manager at The Baldpate Inn, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
We are thankful for the awe-inspiring review that you have written about the Baldpate! It is rewarding that you appreciate the history, quiet atmosphere, our homemade food options, our friendly staff, and everything else about our inn that creates lasting feelings of peace and contentment for so many. It is of great pleasure to have had you as a guest at our enchanted inn and we hope that you can soon return to enjoy these simple pleasures once again!
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

This is truly a unique and wonderful place. Built in 1917, you feel like you are stepping back into a different way of life: rustic, authentic, hospitable, and inviting. It is both a bed and breakfast and a restaurant. Breakfast is included with the room and is usually fresh strawberries or raspberries with a homemade muffin, followed by an egg dish - a quiche or a frittata, even an omelet or breakfast burrito - with a homemade pecan cinnamon roll for "dessert." Lunch and dinner are an all you can eat soup and salad buffet. Everything is homemade. Leave room for the great pies. The inn is nestled in pines and aspens, located on the side of Twin Sisters Mountain, south of Estes Park. Fantastic view of Estes Valley from the porch. Lily Lake is across the road. Hummingbirds, ground squirrels, chipmunks, mountain jays, and other birds complete the scene. A key collection and photograph collection make it a fascinating exploration of history as well. The staff is friendly and helpful, made up of college students from all over the US and the world, learning about hospitality and how to run an inn from a remarkable woman - Lois Smith. She teaches by example and I think the staff learns life lessons as well as how to operate a business. She is also a wonderful cook: her muffins and pies are amazing. So bring your sense of adventure, love of nature, and your appetite and expect to have a unique and wonderful time at The Baldpate Inn. It is nice to know that there are still one of a kind places to stay like this wonderful inn.

Room Tip: They let you look a the rooms to decide which one is right for you. There are also cabins. Website...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write such a magnificent review about the Baldpate Inn! We are truly grateful for customers like you who enjoy every aspect of our inn from the historic value to the homemade breakfast, soups, salads, and pies. It is an honor to hear that you consider us a one of a kind inn, as that is what we strive to be! We look forward for your return and the opportunity to once again share with you the enchantment of Baldpate Inn.
Aurora, Colorado, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

The Baldpate is a fun, quirky, interesting place to have a mini-vacation. This is the second time I've stayed there. You expect rustic when you are there. LOVE the porch to watch hummingbirds and stellar's jays; and being able to walk up to Lily Lake to walk around and mini-hike. The young staff is incredibly helpful. However, for the prices they charge, I expect more. The soup and salad bar is 'ok'. Kind of 'dated'. I also think they should offer more variety for their breakfast. We were there two nights...so two breakfasts. I don't want strawberries both days, nor quiche both days. More variety would be helpful. They were also out of two wines I chose. It is a fun, interesting place to stay,and I would certainly recommend it, but some updating within the parameters of 'historic' would be helpful.

Room Tip: You need to request a private bath.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the favorable review you have written for us. It is pleasing to hear that you enjoyed our rustic atmosphere along with our relaxing outdoor porch. Although difficult to hear your concerns, we try and offer the best variety at all times for breakfast and if you have a special request on your next visit, please let us know. We hope that you will choose to vacation at the Baldpate Inn.
Brush, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I loved, loved, loved my mini vacation at the Baldpate Inn! We had great food, a beautiful view, and a wonderful staff on hand. Our cabin was small and rustic but still amazing. We were in the mountains, not downtown Estes Park which I loved! We hiked everyday in the Rocky Mountain National Park which is literally right outside the door! A cute little chipmunk even tried to sneak into breakfast with us! There was even a theater where my daughter decided to hang out and watch a play with her daddy! She started calling it our house! I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Try to get into a cabin!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
BaldpateInn, Manager at The Baldpate Inn, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
We are grateful for the glowing review you wrote about the Baldpate Inn and are pleased that you enjoyed your vacation. It is an honor that you appreciated every aspect of our inn from our homemade food to our outdoor Key-thedral theater. We look forward to your return and the opportunity to once again share with you the very special enchantment of The Baldpate Inn!

Been to The Baldpate Inn? Share your experiences!