“The Baldpate is an utterly charming and historical marvel.” 5 of 5 stars

The Baldpate Inn
2.5 of 5 Inn   |   4900 South Highway 7, PO Box 700, Estes Park, CO 80517   |
Ranked #16 of 20 Estes Park B&B and Inns
Omaha, Nebraska
“The Baldpate is an utterly charming and historical marvel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I find the appeal of The Baldpate Inn difficult to render in language--and I'm an English teacher. There is deep history in its walls, and you can almost feel the nearly 100 years' worth of guests who've visited. If you spend slow and leisurely time perusing the photos in the dining room, the keys in the museum, and the details nestled in the corners, you'll start to feel that you've become a part of something and someplace bigger than yourself. (I'm biased on that account--I discovered, quite by accident, that my grandparents honeymooned here in 1937. But I only found out after I arrived for the first time 15 years ago)

As a previous (negative) reviewer has noted, there are few amenities at the Baldpate-- but that's one of the things I love about it. There's no pool. No fitness center. There's only one television, and it's hidden away in a back room library. Only a few of the rooms have a private bath en suite. But there are so many quiet nooks in which to sit and read, think, or talk. The breezes on the porch are delightful, as are the hummingbirds, squirrels, and jays that surround the entryway. The space encourages simplification and serenity. I sat for hours on the porch and simply was. How many modern spaces enable that sort of calm?

The rooms are small and sparsely furnished, and some of the small details are showing their age. But again, that's sort of appealing to me. There's time embedded in these bits of the Inn that are fraying around the edges.

The food at both breakfast and dinner is elegantly comfortable. It lacks a lot of variety on a given day, but it's filling and well-prepared. The staff is earnest, personable, and friendly, and the owner seems like she genuinely values and appreciates your willingness to visit. Family, rather than corporation, seems to set the tone and create the ethos of the place.

I've stayed here twice in 15 years, and both visits inspired lasting feelings of peace and contentment. I can't say that about any other place in Estes Park, perhaps because of the loud and obnoxious carnival vibe surrounding the town itself. But I imagine that the things I love about the Baldpate would tend to discourage high-maintenance, difficult people. If you appreciate deep roots, quirky charm, quiet hospitality, simple comforts, and laid-back friendliness, stay here. If you're willing to meet the place halfway, it'll prove amply rewarding.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
BaldpateInn, Manager at The Baldpate Inn, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
We are thankful for the awe-inspiring review that you have written about the Baldpate! It is rewarding that you appreciate the history, quiet atmosphere, our homemade food options, our friendly staff, and everything else about our inn that creates lasting feelings of peace and contentment for so many. It is of great pleasure to have had you as a guest at our enchanted inn and we hope that you can soon return to enjoy these simple pleasures once again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

This is truly a unique and wonderful place. Built in 1917, you feel like you are stepping back into a different way of life: rustic, authentic, hospitable, and inviting. It is both a bed and breakfast and a restaurant. Breakfast is included with the room and is usually fresh strawberries or raspberries with a homemade muffin, followed by an egg dish - a quiche or a frittata, even an omelet or breakfast burrito - with a homemade pecan cinnamon roll for "dessert." Lunch and dinner are an all you can eat soup and salad buffet. Everything is homemade. Leave room for the great pies. The inn is nestled in pines and aspens, located on the side of Twin Sisters Mountain, south of Estes Park. Fantastic view of Estes Valley from the porch. Lily Lake is across the road. Hummingbirds, ground squirrels, chipmunks, mountain jays, and other birds complete the scene. A key collection and photograph collection make it a fascinating exploration of history as well. The staff is friendly and helpful, made up of college students from all over the US and the world, learning about hospitality and how to run an inn from a remarkable woman - Lois Smith. She teaches by example and I think the staff learns life lessons as well as how to operate a business. She is also a wonderful cook: her muffins and pies are amazing. So bring your sense of adventure, love of nature, and your appetite and expect to have a unique and wonderful time at The Baldpate Inn. It is nice to know that there are still one of a kind places to stay like this wonderful inn.

Room Tip: They let you look a the rooms to decide which one is right for you. There are also cabins. Website...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write such a magnificent review about the Baldpate Inn! We are truly grateful for customers like you who enjoy every aspect of our inn from the historic value to the homemade breakfast, soups, salads, and pies. It is an honor to hear that you consider us a one of a kind inn, as that is what we strive to be! We look forward for your return and the opportunity to once again share with you the enchantment of Baldpate Inn.
Aurora, Colorado, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

The Baldpate is a fun, quirky, interesting place to have a mini-vacation. This is the second time I've stayed there. You expect rustic when you are there. LOVE the porch to watch hummingbirds and stellar's jays; and being able to walk up to Lily Lake to walk around and mini-hike. The young staff is incredibly helpful. However, for the prices they charge, I expect more. The soup and salad bar is 'ok'. Kind of 'dated'. I also think they should offer more variety for their breakfast. We were there two nights...so two breakfasts. I don't want strawberries both days, nor quiche both days. More variety would be helpful. They were also out of two wines I chose. It is a fun, interesting place to stay,and I would certainly recommend it, but some updating within the parameters of 'historic' would be helpful.

Room Tip: You need to request a private bath.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the favorable review you have written for us. It is pleasing to hear that you enjoyed our rustic atmosphere along with our relaxing outdoor porch. Although difficult to hear your concerns, we try and offer the best variety at all times for breakfast and if you have a special request on your next visit, please let us know. We hope that you will choose to vacation at the Baldpate Inn.
Brush, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I loved, loved, loved my mini vacation at the Baldpate Inn! We had great food, a beautiful view, and a wonderful staff on hand. Our cabin was small and rustic but still amazing. We were in the mountains, not downtown Estes Park which I loved! We hiked everyday in the Rocky Mountain National Park which is literally right outside the door! A cute little chipmunk even tried to sneak into breakfast with us! There was even a theater where my daughter decided to hang out and watch a play with her daddy! She started calling it our house! I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Try to get into a cabin!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
BaldpateInn, Manager at The Baldpate Inn, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
We are grateful for the glowing review you wrote about the Baldpate Inn and are pleased that you enjoyed your vacation. It is an honor that you appreciated every aspect of our inn from our homemade food to our outdoor Key-thedral theater. We look forward to your return and the opportunity to once again share with you the very special enchantment of The Baldpate Inn!
Rio Vista, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

Keys from around the world are here. Very interesting to see this historic Inn. We always came here for the restaurant. Sit on the porch and have the great salad bar and enjoy the view. BUT...... The prices are now ridiculous. They have escalated to the point we don't go every year. Go once to see it, and then find another place with reasonable costs for a salad lunch.

• Stayed July 2012
BaldpateInn, Manager at The Baldpate Inn, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you for the time you have taken to write a review on us. Glad to hear you enjoy the historic setting and our extensive key collection. Especially in these tough economic times, we work to maintain the highest of quality in our homemade soup and salad buffet while keeping our pricing as reasonable as possible. Hope that you will return to our enchanted inn in the near future!
Allen, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This was our second stay at the Baldpate. We stayed in the Long View cabin the first time and in the Wrangler the second time. We love the quaint historic setting of this Inn. It definitely has that historic feel and charm abou it. The meals were great too and the key room and library gave the family a place to relax and play games in the evening.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
It is gratifying to hear that you enjoyed the historic value of our inn and had a relaxing visit. Hope to see you return to our relaxing mountain getaway very soon.
McLean, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

My husband and I were attending a wedding in Boulder and wanted to make the best of our first trip to Colorado. I am so happy we decided to stay a night in Estes Park and the Baldpate Inn couldn't have been more perfect! We booked our room online ahead of time and when we checked in we were told we weren't in the reservation system due to an online reservation issue. The inn keeper and her staff didn't miss a beat - they quickly booked us their best suite with private bath to accomodate us. Once we got home, I did notice I was charged twice for the room, but when I called the inn, they fixed the issued within hours. We were very pleased.

The rooms were very quaint and charming. We had a private bath - the other rooms had a shared bathroom down the hall. The only negative part of our stay was the lack of AC - our room was stifling at night in June. The room did have a small window to crack, but we didn't feel comfortable leaving it open without a screen during the night. The inn itself is beautiful! I was a little hesitant about the soup/salad buffet only, but it seemed to be ok for us for one night. Luckily, it's only 10 mins to town if you wanted something else to eat. I do have to say, the breakfast that is included in the room fee was the best breakfast I've ever had at an inn! Coffee, tea, fresh strawberries, muffin, homemade quiche and a huge cinnamon bun to top it off.

We had a perfect stay. I miss the Baldpate Inn - will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 22. It had a view of the forest behind the inn.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review you have written for us. We are delighted to hear that your stay at the Baldpate Inn was perfect! It is an honor to hear that our breakfast is one of the best you have had at an inn! Please return to our relaxing mountain getaway soon!

Been to The Baldpate Inn? Share your experiences!