“Fabulous Location-Great View & Food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Taharaa Mountain Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Taharaa Mountain Lodge
You added Taharaa Mountain Lodge to your Saves list
3110 South Saint Vrain, PO Box 2586, Estes Park, CO 80517   |
Ranked #7 of 20 Estes Park B&B and Inns
Chicago, IL
“Fabulous Location-Great View & Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here for (2) nights. I had called a couple of weeks prior about availability and was told that the website didn't show vacancy because of a (3) night minimum. The housekeeper was nice enough to give us a couple of room options though for the (2) nights we were interested in, so that was greatly appreciated from the start.

The TML is in Estes Park but not within 'city center'. It is actually a few miles out, which I liked, as it was a little more secluded without the bustle of downtown. If you want walking distance or a shorter drive, this would not be ideal.

It is situated on a small hill that has great views looking out at rolling hills and mountains.

The inside was decorated as you would expect a mountain lodge to be, very warm and inviting with all wood and 'nature' decor.

We had the Lark Bunting room on the 2nd floor. It worked out perfect for our needs with a spacious bedroom area and a nice bathroom with shower (no tub). There was a wood burning stove too. Our room, like all of them, had a private balcony.

The breakfasts are held in a separate dining area off the main lounge. There was a spread each morning with a variety of items and then a warm breakfast was served to your liking. We had omelets one morning with potato pancakes and blueberry pancakes with fruit and sausage the next. They are very good about asking of allergies etc and being respectful of dislikes. I don't like blueberries so they made my pancakes without. The innkeepers were there all during breakfast and very nice and helpful, the kitchen staff was also very friendly and welcoming.

Pros
-Clean facility/rooms
-Magnificent views
-Nice room amenities
-Excellent breakfast

Cons
-Honestly can't think of anything

Tips/Callouts
-The TMN is directly on a road, but it wasn't a busy one. I was a little worried when we pulled up that road noise would be evident but we never had an issue with it nor heard any
-No pool but there is an outdoor gazebo w/hot tub
-There is an elevator
-7-10 minute drive into downtown EP

Room Tip: The Lark Bunting room shared a wall with only 1 other room, the other wall was to the stairwell. W...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Cape Coral, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

My wife and I recently came back from an 8 night vacation stay at this incredible B&B. Having never been to Estes Park, we were anxious to sample a bit of all the area offers; Taharaa proved to be the perfect base from which to do this. The lodge is beautiful! With wonderful views from our room, even when we weren’t out and about doing one of the diverse activities you can find in Estes Park, we continued to be immersed in the area’s incredible beauty by simply stepping out on our balcony. Some days activities were far more active than others and, at the end of those days, the Jacuzzi in our room provided wonderful relief. Combined with the wine enjoyed at the Taharaa’s free “happy hour” and the very big and comfortable bed in the “Buckskin Charlie” suite, we woke up refreshed and ready to go again… especially after the magnificent breakfasts offered daily; delicious, and presented nearly as works of art!
We can’t say enough about the great care provided by Diane (the owner) and her staff. The overall care and service provided was not only professional, but warm and thoughtful as well. One morning my wife decided to rest in and read while I went fishing. Mentioning this to Diane at breakfast, my wife was pleased to find our room made-up when she returned; Diane had directed housekeeping to do this while my wife ate …so she would not be disturbed during her “quiet time”. Also, unknown to us, a relative had contacted Diane for help in providing a gift to us (our trip was an anniversary and retirement celebration) and we came back to our room at the Taharaa one evening to find a small table set up with silver trays and ice bucket …and a card, brightly decorated cake and a bottle of champagne on ice!!
Wonderful accommodations, magnificent breakfasts, incredible views, a great innkeeper and staff …it really doesn’t get any better than this!

Room Tip: Don't think you can go wrong on the second floor...
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here as part of our pre-honeymoon and it was prefect. The room had a breathtaking view, the breakfast was delicious and the location is right outside rocky mountain national park. The proprietors and their staff were very friendly and helpful with suggestions with things to do around town.

• Stayed June 2013
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I attended a wedding at Taharaa Mountain Lodge and fell in love with the property! The lodge is very clean and well maintained and the owners and their staff could not have been more helpful or accommodating -- whether reseating us on the balcony for breakfast so we could enjoy the beautiful view and morning sun or providing all the directions we'd need to drive the Timber Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park. The staff worked overtime to assist all wedding participants and guests young and old, warmly greeted late arrivals and did all they could to make each and every guest feel welcomed. Lovely property!

Room Tip: All rooms overlook the valley with beautiful vistas. Plan to drive a few miles back into Estes Park...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

First, the pros: the lodge is gorgeous which sits overlooking a breathtaking valley. The rooms are well appointed and the staff seems very nice, taking time to explain the rules of the property and the offerings. The bed is a bit soft but for most people it may be okay. There was water running outside our deck most of the night which disrupted sleep. It wasn't raining so we were not sure where the water was coming from.

Cons: upon making reservations we were asked if there were any dietary restrictions. I told the owner that I was very sensitive to sugar and would prefer nothing too sweet for breakfast. The following morning we arrived early for breakfast and were told proudly that the breakfast would consist of apple stuffed French toast with syrup. The other choices were corn flakes, sweetened yogurt, and cantaloupe. My husband agreed to eating the overly sweet breakfast of stuffed French toast but I carefully,kindly reminded the owner that I had requested a low carb/low sugar breakfast the day before. I was met with immediate disdain. I asked possibly for some scrambled eggs? Met again with almost a smirk. I thought, after all, they were making French toast, which required eggs, and I had told him the day before that I did not handle sugar well. To make matters worse, the staff accidentally brought our breakfast to a lovely couple sitting next to us. Shortly after, the owner came around and abruptly picked up the breakfast saying "these breakfasts are for those people". The woman who had been given my eggs said lightly, "oh, I hope she is okay with pepper!" And the owner said, as he placed the plate in front of me, "she likes pepper". And then just walked away. All I could do was chuckle at how he answered for me and how the fact that asking for a couple of scrambled eggs for breakfast, especially when paying almost $300 for the room, created so much drama for him.

It was unfortunate that the owner chose to handle this situation this way. We will not be returning. If you are a guest in someone's home, hotel or lodge, the last thing you want to feel is that you were a nuisance. No, there are plenty of other places to stay.

Incidentally, after arriving back home I contemplated not writing a review. But after reading some of the reviews here on TA and reading another almost exact account of breakfast with another couple, I decided people needed to know. And the owners need to know that perhaps they should be careful how they treat guests who have asked for a simpler healthier choice for breakfast.

Room Tip: Owner is a bit snotty so be careful.
Eaton, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

This was our 2nd time going to Taharaa and it was a very special occasion, our 25th anniversary! Diane and Ken made it all worth it! On the night of our anniversary we had Diane get us reservations at a restuarant that had really good food. We came back to our room, the Winchester and had a bottle of chilled champagne waiting for us, compliments from Taharaa, Thanks Taharaa, we enjoyed every sip!. The breakfasts that we had were to very good, huervos rancheros on Wednesday and blueberry pancakes on Thursday. The food had been amazing each time we have gone up there. The hospitality from Diane, Ken and Jared just keeps getting better. Keep up the great work!

Room Tip: If you want good down to earth hospitality than this is the place to go.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Our week long vacation in Colorado did not start out on the best note...but it ended well with the wonderful hospitality that Jared, Diane and Ken offered at their gorgeous lodge. Estes Park is a quaint little town that is a few miles from one of the entrances to Rocky Mountain National Park. It has local shopping and restaurants. Our trip began in Colorado Springs and needless to say it was too hot since we were trying to escape the heat of Miami, Florida. Rocky Mountain National Park was part of our original itinerary, but we did not plan for the park being closed half way in due to snow that fell 2 weeks prior so the entire trip needed to be rearranged and hotels were booked and canceled due to the weather and our personal preference to not be around too many people. You just never know how long or short of a time you will be spending in a place until you actually visit it. We wished that our entire trip was more like the end. Taharaa Lodge ended up being our savior to reclaim the vacation we really needed to get away and escape the craziness! The lodge overlooks the Estes Valley and has a gorgeous view off the balcony. We had booked a hotel in Estes Park that was "questionable" to say the least and on our way to that hotel, I remember passing Taharaa. When we checked in the original hotel we booked, we immediately checked out and we searched for Taharaa on the tablet. We called and Jared answered the phone. He told us to come by and he would assist us. When we arrived, it was happy hour and there were other couples in the great room enjoying wine and snacks. Jared showed us a few rooms to choose from and then had us enjoy happy hour while we filled out the necessary paperwork. Astor, the lodge dog welcomed us as well and she was a delight since we were missing our 3 furry babies...Astor even discovered our beef jerky in our bag and she was so proud to have found her little "treasure". Ken and Diane were amazingly sweet, generous and helpful. Diane is an amazing cook! Each morning we had a delightful breakfast that I am still thinking about today!! I have had a lot of great meals, but Diane has a true talent and if you are someone who appreciates a heavenly breakfast, hers will not disappoint! We loved our experience so much that on our last day before we checked out, we let Diane know that if she was ever interested in selling the lodge, we would definitely be interested!! Thank you again to Jared, Diane, Ken and the entire team at Taharaa Lodge that helped end our Colorado adventure on a positive, relaxing note. You all were amazing and we greatly appreciate everything!! Sincerely, Carrie & Robert B.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have a balcony view and each room has a different name/theme to it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Taharaa Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!