“Poorly managed beautiful historic lodge with incredible view” 2 of 5 stars

You added Historic Crags at the Golden Eagle Resort to your Saves list
Historic Crags at the Golden Eagle Resort
2.5 of 5 Lodge   |   300 Riverside Dr, Estes Park, CO 80517   |
Newnan, Ga.
“Poorly managed beautiful historic lodge with incredible view”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We were pleased to see this beautiful resort when we pulled in. Even our room was nice. Great balcony. Nice kitchen. Then we realized our room was under the dinning room. Have you ever lived in an old house with squeaky floors. Well imagine amplifying that a 100 times. To make matters worst the next night there was a wedding reception. OMG!!! We were not a part of the wedding party so were subjected to the unbearable noise. If management was on top of it they would have only put wedding guests down there.

• Stayed August 2013
diamondresorts, Manager at Historic Crags at the Golden Eagle Resort, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
We are very sorry to read that you have experienced some noise issues whilst at our resort. We assure you that our sole intention is to offer our guest a relaxing, enjoyable break and we are equally disappointed that this was not the case on this occasion. We strongly encourage our guests to contact us should they not be satisfied with their room allocation so that we can look into offering them an alternative accommodation. We are sorry if your stay has caused you any dissatisfaction and we assure you that should you decide to give us another chance we would do our best to exceed your expectations. We wish you all the best on your future travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

The Crags was built circa 1914. Yes, development has encroached upon the Crags. Still, if one tries, it is possible to evoke a simpler time. The lobby is soothing and quiet with comfortable furniture and no Tv. Room was fine, staff friendly and food at their restaurant was very good. We've stayed there before and will again. I love it.

• Stayed August 2013
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We found the Historic Crags listed on Trip advisor and I'm so glad we did. It was adorable. My husband and 5 year old son, and I stayed two nights In mid August and just loved it. We got the double bed with a pull out couch. The room had a small kitchen and included everything we needed if we wanted to avoid eating out.

The hotel seemed to be slow but the bar stayed open at all times and I had a wonderful chocolate martini. Our room overlooked the "Overlook Hotel" from the Shining. So cool! The real name is The Stanley. The staff was very sweet and the view was amazing. We spent both days in the pool and both nights in the hot tub. My son loved it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
diamondresorts, Manager at Historic Crags at the Golden Eagle Resort, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
We’re delighted that you chose to stay at the Historic Crags Lodge, and that you had a great time here! We hope you’ll consider us for future visits to Estes Park – we’d love to see you again!
Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I must preface this review by saying I am in no way a hotel snob. In fact, when I'm at a place as beautiful as Estes Park/The Rocky Mountains, I want to spend as LITTLE time as possible holed up in a hotel. HOWEVER; this was one of the only places available the week we were staying in Estes and let's just say, I can see why. Though there were some enjoyable aspects of my stay at Crags, overall, I really was not impressed. For what we paid to stay here, I expected a lot more. It is very important to note (as this is not made clear anywhere on their site) that this lodge DOES NOT HAVE AIR CONDITIONING therefore there is no way to adjust the temperature in your room (hot or cold). I understand there are very few days in Colorado where the heat is unbearable but on the third floor with the warm summer sun beaming in the sky lights, the rooms become quite uncomfortable quite fast.

I will note that the staff were friendly and informative and the lodge does appear to have undergone some beneficial renovations. Unfortunately, neither of these things made up for the general lack of amenities. No maid service unless specifically requested and which only includes taking the trash out and bringing fresh towels, no room service, and the only view available from our window was the parking lot. Paying premium to stay at the mouth of the Rocky Mountain National Park, I expected a better view and better amenities.

The bathroom was tiny, the shower floor was brown from the dirt of past guests feet, the sink was wobbly,and the water pressure combined with the shower head made it feel like a shower of needles.

The pool and hot tub were okay but not as clean as I'd expect and the grounds appeared to only have minimal upkeep. Perhaps the most unenjoyable part of staying at the lodge was that the garbage truck came at 6:45am daily and repeatedly slammed the dumpster outside our window (that we were forced to leave open because of the heat). At 7:15am daily, a big box truck pulled in to drop off restaurant goods and 'beep, beep, beeped' for twenty minutes as it backed out of the lot. A good nights sleep was also not an 'amenity' at the lodge.

We did not have the opportunity to try the restaurant which just may have been this place's saving grace as it boasts much higher reviews than the lodge. I will definitely be finding some place else to stay if I find myself in Estes Park in the future and I suggest you do the same!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
diamondresorts, Manager at Historic Crags at the Golden Eagle Resort, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
We hold our team to very high standards of service and we are really glad to read that you were not at all disappointed with their performance and assistance. We regret however to learn that you experienced uncomfortable temperatures in your unit. Our resort does not have air conditioning. Typically, it is not needed, except for a few days a year. We would like to note that we make every effort to ensure that our 3rd party rental partners advise our guests of this at the time of booking. We also include this information on our website. We hope enjoyed the numerous outdoor activates on- site and nearby during this time.
Additionally, it was very concerning to read that your housekeeping experience, noise outside your unit, and issues with your unit’s sink had a negative impact towards your stay. We are truly sorry that it seems our housekeeping and maintenance staff did not provide superior customer service for you. This, we will address with our teams internally. We would like to take this opportunity and advise we are primarily a vacation ownership resort, housekeeping services are provided on a weekly basis. Daily housekeeping services can be requested for a small fee. Unfortunately, we cannot control when the city picks up the trash for our resort. If requested through our front desk, we would have been more than happy to see if we could relocate you to another unit away from the trash pick-up area. Naturally, we are delighted to hear that your dining experience delivered by our restaurant staff received appreciation- Thank you.
If you are willing to give us another chance, we are extremely confident that your next stay will be much more enjoyable and even exceed your expectations. We sincerely wish you the best on all your future travels.
Auburn,CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was a timeshare exchange for us. We had a rough time finding the lodge and check-in. While the address is on Riverside, the entry is off of Audubon. An upgraded and illuminated sign for night arrivers would really help. Our 1-bedroom unit was in the lodge, room #209, above the lobby/managers office. We arrived during a wedding reception, so live combo playing and not a lot of guests, but a little noisy being so close to the front desk, but we did fine getting checked in promptly. The 1 bedroom has 1-1/2 bathrooms, a livingroom/kitchen when you enter and the bedroom with windows on 2 sides facing the front of the lodge and the other towards the pool/hot tub area. For 2 of us it was just fine. For more people with the pullout couch bed, it could be challenging. There is a table w/2 chairs. Not sure what the lodge expects people to do with food as most of the cabinets held plates, glasses, various utensils, but we made do. The apartment size refrig/freezer was ample. The bedroom had an armwah(sp?) and a dresser. Armwah looked near new, dresser looked fairly battered, but was functional. Bathrooms were small, but functional. Half bath(sink/potty) had a medicine cabinet and a rod for towels. 2nd bath had a bathtub with 3/4" gouged enamel on the bottom(what in the world do people do to do this?). It appeared that Diamond Resorts Int'l refurbished this room very nicely in the last couple of years after taking over in Sept 2010, BUT from from what I could tell repairs are cheaply done as seen by 3 different types of blinds in the bedroom from 1" plastic, 1" metal and 2" wider louvers(it doesn't get very dark in the morning); the shower curtain rod from Walmart works fine, but the preexisting nice tile around the tub had drill holes "fixed" by using white silicone putty with fingers to patch the 2 holes. The bathrooms really need small shelves for extra tp, tissues, toiletries people bring with them, you can only put so much stuff on the toilet lid. There was no issues with noise from the wedding party or neighboring units. The pool and hot tub area looked like a lot of money had been spent since 2010 as the pool deck looked good, wood fencing near new, hot tub bubbling wonderfully, but the bottom of the pool had brown grunge making it look like it was overdue for a good cleaning. I may be brutally nit picky, but I think what timeshare owners pay for maintenance fees, I probably mirror others' observations. This historical resort would be spending money wisely by having a truly nice front entry door for great first impressions versus the very well worn door of yesteryear. Staff was wonderful! Manager got fireplace fire going on a cool rainy July day!! A nice place to visit, love the RMNP area, just a bucket list kind of destination that may not happen again for me. ;)

Room Tip: Lodge has an elevator, no a/c, but we just opened windows. I am sitting in the lobby with live guita...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Lawrence, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We are Diamond Resort owners and I booked a week there for a daughter/dad vacation in May. The location of this hotel is fantastic...two blocks off the Main Street and the hotel overlooks downtown Estes Park.

The front desk staff was polite, friendly, and provided a quick check-in. The rooms were small but cozy. They had a partial kitchen, small refrigerator, and was adequately stocked with utensils. We did not use the restaurant but I did some exploring and found the historical aspects in the main lobby/restaurant to be quite interesting. Overall, I like the location, the amenities, and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Olathe, KS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I booked this stay through our timeshare. I was very excited to find an Estes Park timeshare available in the summer. I read the reviews and was a little concerned. The reviews were very hit and miss on this place. But let me just say I found it a hit! Everyone that worked the front desk were so welcoming and pleasant. Anytime we left and came back from a day trip you felt like you were coming home.

The lodge itself is very old. I think it was built in 1914, but could be off on the date. They have kept the lobby area true to the old lodge feeling. It's filled with old pictures and old items from the past. There is a large fireplace, and they have Checkers and Chess games set up for you to play at anytime. It was refreshing to see kids playing board games instead of video games.

The location is part way up a mountain. It's an easy walk down, but walking up is very difficult. Very steep and no lighting. So we would walk to downtown about a 1/2 mile and then take the cab home (about $6) when we went out to dinner.

Only complaint I have is the refrigerator. It was very small. We stayed a week and planned on bringing a lot of our own food for breakfast and picnic lunches. We ended up trying to keep coolers in the room and iced down because everything would not fit in the fridge.

I was concerned when I found out there is no air conditioning in this lodge. But we ended up being very comfortable. They provided a box fan and we opened up the windows for a breeze.

Pool and hot tub area was wonderful. Beautiful views and everything very clean. The grounds were nice as well.

Highly recommend if you are looking for that old time Colorado feeling!!

Room Tip: We had booked a studio unit, but upgraded to a one bedroom. Was glad that we did for the extra room...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Historic Crags at the Golden Eagle Resort? Share your experiences!