“Stay Somewhere Else” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Crescent City
Sacramento CA
“Stay Somewhere Else”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

I traveled to Crescent city for a two-week business trip. On the first night I noticed a mild odd smell in the room. I also discovered that the telephone did not work, and there was only one station on the television. I called the front desk, and was told that the manager would call me back. The manager never called. In the morning I discovered that the refrigerator had frozen all of my food, and the knob was broken off, so I could not turn it down. I called the manager again. He did not call me back. I went to the free breakfast at the on-site restaurant. I waited over a half hour for very bad food.
When I returned to the hotel in the evening, I noticed that the odd smell was stronger. I called the manager again. He did not return my call. The next morning I checked out and switched to another hotel. While checking out, the angry woman at the front desk accused me of checking out early in order to steal the free breakfast coupons. I informed her that the breakfast was so bad that I would rather pay for a good breakfast than eat that breakfast for free. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

I stayed at the hotel one night for business travel. I checked out the next day and there was a mistake on my invoice. I have to submit all my receipts for reimbursement, so I need correct invoices or it is a major headache down the road for me. The hotel staff tried to correct, but said that accounting would have to do it. I called the next day to have a corrected invoice faxed to me, and verified that the problem had been corrected. I submitted all my paperwork and naturally there is a problem. They charged me a higher amount on my credit card. I called the hotel and got shuffled around; no one would talk to me. I was finally directed to the manager, who very rudely, told me the original amount was a mistake with their system and they charged me the correct amount. They were more than willing to provide me a corrected invoice (one month after I asked for it). When I complained because this is holding up my reimbursement. The manager kindly told me "that is your problem" and "I am not going to unbalance my books over this" .

I work for the hospitality industry and I travel frequently (last month I stayed in about 12 hotels). This is only the second review I have ever written. I am a pretty tolerant person when it comes to the hospitality industry. Typically, such a small amount of money that your computer system made an error on, is not worth losing a customer (and rewards member). Apparently that is not the case with this Best Western..

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Dripping Springs, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

We had intended to stay in the Best Western Northwoods Inn for 2 nights, but ended up checking out after just 1. It is on the highway across the street from the beach, but very few if any rooms have an ocean view. There are outdoor corridors. The hotel is family friendly, but old. The staff is very helpful and friendly. We had a 1-bedroom suite, which was roomy, but in major need of updating. Although the room was listed as non-smoking, it wreaked of stale smoke. I think the room used to be a smoking room, but because the furniture and drapery was never changed, the room smells of stale smoke. We went to the restaurant for both breakfast (included in room price) and dinner (we paid for it.) The food was adequate at best. The morning breakfast was buffet style and the food was just not good. For dinner I wanted fish and although the restaurant is across the street from the beach, they only had two fresh fishes. I ordered halibut with an almond crust and raspberry pepper sauce. While the fish seemed fresh, the sauce tasted like raspberry syrup straight out of the jar. The clam chowder tasted canned and the salad bar was minimal. My husband had a burger and was pleased with it. Overall, the hotel is just OK. I'd find a different place to stay the next time I'm in the area.

Olympia, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

The location of this hotel isn't great and it hasn't been updated in awhile. The pool was okay. Everything was very clean though. One plus is you get a free full breakfast buffet at a real restaurant, not just a continental breakfast. I think it is just over-priced compared to other Best Western's that we stayed in on our roadtrip.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

The room was clean...the check-in staff was friendly. The bed felt like they filled it with tennis balls. it was extremely lumpy.
The breakfast was good but due to the large amount of guest, we sat & waited 10 mins for food and utensils

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Mill Creek, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2009

I have never had a bad experience at a BW... till now.
Hmmm, how do I put this... the tern Polished A Turd comes to mind. This is a very old hotel that has had some upgrades, but the over all feel (and smell) tells the true age of this place. If you do stay here do not, I repeat DO NOT get a lower level room. We can hear every step the people are making upstairs. At least I know the people up stairs are clean as I have heard two of them take a shower - yes, the plumbing is very loud. The front desk person seems nice and helpful, the pool is nice although it only goes to 4' total. We just checked in today (I hope I survive the next 3 nights) so we have not tried the free breakfast yet. We did go to the Seafood Grotto over at the fishermens area it was HORRIBLE. The waitress was very nice and new what she was doing, but the food was bad, really bad. I ordered a steak (can't eat seafood like the rest of my family) and as she is putting it down in front of me the waitress sais ' To me that looks over done let me know what you think and if needed I will get you a new one." She got me a new one sadly it took about 15 ninutes and the rest of my family was done and at the point of "I am tired of this place, can we go now?" But enough about that. So far I have not found anything possitive about this town, hotel or restaurant. I sure hope the Tree's of Mystery make up for it.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2009

I see that others have complained, I guess they are used to staying at 5 star $300 anight.
We planned to stay at another place 2 nights and upon arrival realized major mistake, I spoke with a wonderful woman at Northwoods Inn, she understood my situation and said they would have a room since it was mid week. They even let us check in ealry the next day so we could focus on our trip in the area. Rooms were nice, only issue the hair dryer didn't work corectly, but compared to where we were, it was a 5 star.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Been to Best Western Plus Northwoods Inn? Share your experiences!