“Decent” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Crescent City
Philadelphia
“Decent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

I stayed here for a hiking trip to the Redwoods National and State Parks in April of 2012, and received great value on the lodging. The rooms are clean and quiet, the parking is abundant, and the staff was friendly. It's easy to find.. right off 101 and across from the Crescent City Harbor. They had a decent restaurant attached (but separate) that offers an above average continental breakfast (gratis). The dinner menu was so-so, but their lounge/bar in the back was awesome... great beers cheap with solid bar food. It was a great place to relax and watch a game/mingle a bit after a day on the trails and locals definitely hit it as well. If I ever find myself back in Crescent City I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Stockton, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Stayed for business. Pleasant staff. You can hear noise from rooms above when staying on ground floor, a heavy footed person will bug you as the walls are thin. Overall it was a typical three star best western.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
Bothell, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We didn't notice anything when we first arrived, but as we were settling in for the night we saw a few ants by the sink and the bathtub. Being as it was late, there were only a few bugs, and we were exhausted, we didn't think it was a big enough deal to call the front desk. In the morning, the ants were everywhere! There was a thick line of them all around the bathtub, sink, and they were getting into our stuff. There were some on the bed too. I tried calling the front desk but got a busy signal. We needed to get on the road quickly to make an appointment but my son didn't want to shower with the ants, so I went to the front desk and they immediately gave us keys to another nearby room. They apologized for the inconvenience, but then presented me with the bill for the entire amount. I requested a discount and they offered 30%. I suggested 50% would make me happier so they called the supervisor, who, without knowing I'd settle for 50% off, authorized comping us the room. Excellent! But still pretty gross. It was quiet as our room was back away from the highway and we slept well. Breakfast was all right, fresh waffles, eggs, chile rellenos. They have a pool and hot tub, but the hours were 7 am to 3 pm, not really ideal times to use those facilities. It would have been nice to have an evening soak in the hot tub after a long day on the road.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank Fyrfli
Newport, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Stayed at this hotel on March 30, 2012. Check in was good and room was very clean but basically standard room size and furnishings with a 32" LG television and small bathroom. Could hear some moderate noise from room above but was not particularly bothersome. Breakfast buffet which is provided at the next door restaurant was extremely good - in fact, one of the best 1-2 hotel breakfasts I've had in years. Overall, I would certainly recommend this hotel whenever staying in the Crescent City area.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank oregonvisitor42
Qualicum Beach, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Good size room, dated but nice and clean. Buffet breakfast at the adjacent restaurant was average too. Problems with the wi-fi. It worked well when we checked in then was non existent. Had to open our door and stand in the doorway to get reception, then went to the lobby to use our lap top. I am assuming the signal strength is not good when too many people are using it.
Not close enough to walk to the beach (or be prepared for a long walk).

Room Tip: upper floor would be quieter. No elevator so you need to lug your suitcases up stairs.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SherwoodParkTucker
Placerville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

I have stayed here six times now . I recently added this area to my business travels and was worried I wouldn't find a reasonable place to stay near the beach . While you do have to cross the highway I can live with that . The rooms I have had have been clean and quiet . I have had no problems of any kink in the last six months . The staff has always been friendly . For what I paid I don't think I could ask for more.

Room Tip: I haven't had a bad room yet .
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank injawrangler
Eureka
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

I stayed at this hotel one night and it was just an "okay" experience. The decor is a bit out-dated and tired, but it was spotless. There are no elevators if that's important to you. The sound-proofing leaves a bit to be desired--I swear I was able to hear ear-splitting snoring from the room next door! The bed was comfy. Complimentary breakfast is offered at the restaurant across the parking lot. That restaurant, by the way, is quite nice and I've previously reviewed it here. One odd thing is that I noticed there was no NBC TV channel offered. There were many channels, including CBS and ABC. This is not a huge issue, but I was surprised.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#10 of 19 in Crescent City
3.0 of 5 stars 156 reviews

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Northwoods Inn? Share your experiences!