“As you would expect” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Crescent City
Silverado, California
“As you would expect”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

This 2 star hotel is no more than as you would expect. My room was on the second floor. Nothing special. Clean, fairly quiet. Facing Highway 101. Bascially unremarkable. I had an opportunity to drive past the Bayview Inn and saw the ocean from there. Spectatular view. If I am back this is where I will stay. I thought the Best Western was a little bit expensive for what you get.

Room Tip: As far away from the Highway as possible.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

There are some beautiful old hotels in the world, so being old isn't necessarily a bad thing. In this case however, it is. The breakfast is next door in a restaurant. I thought "wow that should be great"...sadly it wasn't. I think the restaurant would be out of business without the business from the Best Western.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

When I checked in here, the bill was already higher than I agreed to online. I thought it was just the tax and commented on it. The man checking me in just pointed to the base rate, which matched what was agreed to. He didn't say anything about why the taxes were higher than online, even though I commented on it. It wasn't enough for me to worry about, so I signed it and went up to the room.

The room was fine. It wasn't as clean as I would like, but it wasn't awful. It was quite small. There was no counter space. It was just okay. I guess I would give it a two out of five. It was below average at best, though. The air conditioner turned off and on and didn't cool the room well.

I read some reviews online and noticed that this hotel was charging a dollar a night to use their safe, whether you used it or not. It turns out that this was the reason for the higher total. They were just trying to get an extra dollar out of us (and everyone, of course). I'm sure it adds up, but is it worth making someone mad? I wouldn't think so, and I wasn't the first. So, when I went to check out, there was a woman in front of me complaining about how bad her room (the door was broken and the fan sounded like a jet engine - we didn't even have a fan). Then I went up to check out. I commented on the extra charge and he pointed out that I agreed to the safe insurance I was paying for. I told him to not even try to tell me he told me about this extra fee. He at least admitted he didn't. He took the fee off, but I'm sure plenty pay it for no reason. This should be an optional coverage, not snuck in like you're dealing with a used car lot. While I was checking out, the person checking out next to me was asking for a copy of his receipt, but tok that he couldn't get one because it was direct bill. That was one of the most ridiculous things I've heard, too. It is his responsibility to the company he works for to make sure everything is right. He absolutely should get a receipt.

Like I said, the room wasn't a one out of five, but it the experience brought it down to that. Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

We had a nice suite overlooking a garden courtyard. Outdoor hottub. Very clean and comfortable beds. Room rate includes a full breakfast at the restaurant adjacent to the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back, overlooking the courtyard
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver B.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Stayed here for one night as a starting point for a drive up the Oregon Coast, drove the I-5 to Grants Pass and then the Redwood Hwy. to Crescent City. This hotel is directly across from the Marina, a great place to watch seals, pelicans, and other sea birds, took some great photos.
Hotel is clean with friendly staff, room was quiet, Northwoods restaurant was good for dinner as well as comp. breakfast the next day. Did not have time to check out the pool. Overall a great stay, no complaints at all.

Room Tip: Busy parking lot, but we had no problems. Parked right outside our room. First floor room was conven...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
San Luis Obispo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

This was just an average hotel. Our only real complaint was the bed. It was very uncomfortable for both of us. The mattress was terrible and the smell of bleach was so strong on the sheets I had a hard time sleeping. I wouldn't stay here again because of the bed.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

My husband and I stayed in room 309. King bed, small frig and coffee maker.
The room was clean and well maintained. The view was of open field and
horses. The best part was that because the room was located in the back
of the hotel it was very quiet. The only negative thing I can say is too much
chlorine in the pool! My husband's bathing suit went from blue to tan. Swimmer's beware.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Best Western Plus Northwoods Inn? Share your experiences!