“View” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oceanfront Lodge

You added Oceanfront Lodge to your Saves list
Oceanfront Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 A Street, Crescent City, CA 95531 (Formerly Hampton Inn & Suites Crescent City)   |
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Crescent City
“View”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night on our way to Canada. I would have to say, this hotel and its view ( we stayed in room #316, third floor King with balcony view of the lighthouse and ocean) is the only thing nice in this gloomy run down town. I have visited Crescent City many times in my life as I have family nearby. This was the first time I thought what a depressing town with no color, landscaping or tourist feel. Sad because this city has the location. Anyways, if you have to spend the night anywhere in this gloomy ran down town, sleep here and enjoy the beautiful views. Well worth the price.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Redding, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Quite frankly, I don't understand the negative reviews. (Competitors, perhaps??) This is our 2nd time staying at the Oceanfront Lodge and we honestly think it is THE best place to stay in Crescent City. My husband even made the comment about how there aren't many hotels that are themselves a destination. This one is it. The beach is rugged with hardly anyone on it, and you only need to walk right outside the back of the hotel and there it is. Listening to the surf and watching the sunset right outside your balcony is a real treat. The staff were very young, but all smiles and very helpful and friendly. The complimentary breakfast is weak, but seems to be typical of the free breakfasts we get at hotels. Healthier cereal choices, wider fruit selection, and whole wheat toast would be great additions. Everything was spotlessly clean, bed and pillows comfortable. Wi-fi was hit and miss due to weak signal, we think. The lighthouse is walking distance. All around a very wonderful stay. We'll be back again.

Room Tip: Best views are South end toward the lighthouse.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Alberta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

The best and the worst hotels get reviewed by me, unfortunately this is one of the latter.
I typically don't stay at privately owned hotels but this time I decided that the location was too good to pass up and went against my better judgement, I wish I hadn't.
My family and I booked at this hotel for the nights of July 3rd and 4th, we arrived at the hotel at 2:30 pm and were told our room was not ready; we went to the beach for 1 hour then returned, and were told it still wasn't ready, this time I waited while my wife took the kids to the park; at 4:30pm they gave me the keys (quite a while after their stated check in time) with no apology or recompense.
The room had 2 queens and a pullout with dated decor, peeling wall paper, and a balcony with a spectacular view. When I stepped onto the carpet it was wet, when asked the front desk girl said it was shampooed that morning, I asked for a different room and was flatly refused, the carpet in the room did not fully dry until the next day but the muggy feel and smell of wet carpet remained for our stay.
The beds were adequate and, other than sleeping, we did not spend much time in the room due to the smell of wet carpet. When it came time to check out, I went to the front desk to pay for the room with cash, I was informed by the clerk that my credit card had be charged for the full amount of our stay when I checked in. I told the young man, who turned out to be one of many relatives of the owner working at the hotel, that using my card as a guarantee is appropriate but charging my card without my consent is not appropriate or legal; he literally shrugged his shoulders and said nothing could be done about it now and turned his attention to the next unhappy patron.
The folks running this hotel will do the very minimum in service and everything they can to get your money before you know what you are getting into.
Don't get suckered into this place under this ownership; With any luck, the current ownership will run it further into the ground and Holiday Inn or Best Western will buy it and give appropriate service to such a great location.

• Stayed July 2013
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We checked in late and our 3-year old daughter wanted to drink milk. When we asked where we could buy milk, Andrew, the front desk clerk, went to the kitchen and bring back milk to us, which we appreciated.

Room Tip: The ocean view from the upper floor room is amazing.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Bloomington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I have been traveling on both east and west coasts several times and have never seen such amazing ocean views like the one in front of Oceanfront Lodge.
The position of the guestroom facing the ocean is perfect. Breakfast at the oceanfront hotel was much better than what chain hotels had to offer for breakfast. Room clean and big but only $139.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed for three nights in June-July 2013.

Hotel Staff:
• Friendly…we checked in and were in our room in under 10 minutes
• Andrew…tall, handsome man very knowledgeable, friendly. Went above and beyond helping tourists out with questions about Jedediah State Park.
• Andrew…also recommended a local restaurant.
• Andrew…is an asset to your hotel. Keep him!!  He’s an asset to the Oceanfront Lodge
• Recommendation for even better service: Ensure there is a staff member at the desk at all times, even if it’s slow and minimal traffic in the lobby. I went down several times throughout my stay and no one was there. It just looks better to have someone there.

Hotel Room:
• It reminded me of a Holiday Inn on the ocean. It is the height of summer so I’m assuming rates may be higher and that is understandable. We had the two queen-sized beds room and it was not exceptional. I didn’t find the bed’s all that comfortable and the pillows were horrible. To be fair, I’ve a bad back, so few beds appease the vengeful Back God. 
• Room/Maid Service was really great. She was there every day with fresh towels, etc. We also learned that if anything personal is on the bed, they can’t move it, so if you want your beds made, keep your crap off of them. haha

Hotel Amenities:
• The continental/complimentary breakfast was above and beyond any ‘complimentary’ I’ve had before. They served waffles, cereal, sausage, boiled eggs, orange juice, coffee. I thought that was pretty exceptional. I believe they’re trying to put a restaurant in there, so that ‘freebie’ may go away.
• I couldn’t figure out how to work the sauna, but that could be user error.
• There was something off about the pool. It didn’t seem super clean to me and I couldn’t really smell chlorine. I don’t know if it had been updated recently. Plus there was a few times I got into a mess of hair. That was kind of gross, so I just got out. I am not a pool-cleaning expert; this was just my experience.

Room Tip: If you like to incorporate your hotel room with your vacation, i.e. spend part of the time in the ho...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Las Vegas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed here during our annual summer motorcycle ride. We had stopped a few years ago in Crescent City and made it an overnight stay this year. The hotel isn't fancy but has beautiful views and comfortable rooms. We didn't find a lot to do nearby although the park seemed like a nice spot for families. The continental breakfast wasn't so great and the coffee tasted like weak Farmers Brothers.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Oceanfront Lodge? Share your experiences!