“Probably the best place to stay in Crescent City” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oceanfront Lodge

and 1 more site!
You added Oceanfront Lodge to your Saves list
Oceanfront Lodge
100 A Street, Crescent City, CA 95531 (Formerly Hampton Inn & Suites Crescent City)   |
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Crescent City
Oak Harbor, Washington
“Probably the best place to stay in Crescent City”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

My husband and I visit Crescent City from time to time. I'd have to say this was probably the best place we've stayed at thus far. I heard rumors (although not sure about this) that this hotel used to be a Hilton at one point. In any case, we stayed in a king size room with jacuzzi tub and balcony view.

The good: Spacious room, clean, nice view, professional & friendly staff. Jacuzzi was a little small but still very relaxing after a long day. Breakfast was also good and served up a variety of hot & cold selections.

The not-so-good: The vent in the bathroom didn't work so it was a little steam-fest in there after showers, and had to open the balcony door to really air the place out. The TV was a little dated as well. The pool was closed while we were there. The fitness center had 2 treadmills, a recumbent bike & an eliptical, all in good working order.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
durango,co
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

This hotel is no longer a Hampton Inn, but it has been recently renovated and is the only place in Crescent City off the main highway. Most rooms have an ocean view and balcony. We are very pleased finally to have found high quality accomodations in Cresenct City and plan to stay here again on our next trip.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

Typical Hampton Inn, newer property, clean rooms and bed was comfortable. Breakfast was good. We went when the place was completely filled and still was quiet through the night. Only thing I would have changed is that the AC unit was really loud and the smoke detector had a bright flashing light right over the bed all night long which turned out to be really annoying (but I tend to be very light sensitive) which was easily resolved when I covered my eyes with a small towel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

When we pulled into the parking lot rather late, we weren't really sure we had actually found a Hampton Inn, sign notwithstanding. It looked different than other Hampton Inns we'd been at. The exterior of hotels doesn't really matter, though, and it turns out that everything inside was fine. The guy at the desk was obviously a Californian, greeting us with something like, "Hey, dude, how's it goin'?" Everything was ready for us, though, and it seemed like the room was clean and everything worked. Our room had a balcony and we could see the ocean right from there. The view was very nice.

The breakfast was the typical Hampton Inn breakfast, which is pretty good for a hotel that doesn't charge outrageous rates. We thought it was well run. They were remodeling the lobby while we were there, but that didn't seem to cause any problems. One other kind of weird thing was that when we were in our room's bathroom we could hear (probably thanks to the fan being vented to the outside) the fog horn that (presumably) the lighthouse uses. It did not cause any problems and, if anything, added a tiny bit of charm to an otherwise standard name-brand hotel.

I think that for some people the location on the beach will make up for any of the minor problems you may experience. The location was also great for seeing the rather interesting Battery Point Lighthouse and the hotel can be used as a convenient base for exploring the nearby Redwood National Park, which is well worth your time. It also seemed like one of the nicer properties in Crescent City.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

Stayed one night on our trip north up the CA and OR coast.
Had balcony room with king size on third floor. Service was good and room was clean acceptably appointed and quiet. Offers speciality TV channels which was important for us as NHL playoff game 7 was on and were able to watch in comfort of our room with some cold beers from the convenience kiosk in lobby.
Name of the hotel was Oceanfront Lodge so I am not sure if this is a Hampton or not, billing makes no reference to this chain.
Great location and incredible ocean views; definately would stay again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

We were supposed to stay two nights over the Memorial Day week-end, but when we arrived on the Saturday found out that, despite my having e-checked in, they actually sold my room to someone else! On a busy week-end like this, we were lucky (?) to get the last room at the Best Western--available due to a last-minute cancellation. So we only stayed one night. No doubt, this is a far more handsome property than the BW, especially when location is taken into account, but this property definitely has its down-sides.
Firstly, there were recurring problems with service. Calls to the front desk went unanswered. A trip to the front desk would reveal nobody home, even in the afternoon! The hotel is a block away from a (still functioning!) lighthouse, but the point in which it's located becomes an island at high tide. When I asked the front desk about the timing of the tides, they had no information. One would think that would be a pretty common guest query, since I would think people wouldn't want to get stranded there for 5 hours.
Even at breakfast, many items were often empty for extended periods of time, and even both fork containers were empty. I've been to a lot of Hamptons for dozens of nights, and I've never seen that.
While I didn't see the lack of cleanliness a number of other reviewers have commented on, I certainly did hear my neighbors, and will agree with the problem of poor insulation. The TV is old-style, and there is only one sink (inside the bathroom), but otherwise I have no other room complaints.
What cannot be denied, however, is that the hotel has a good location, and all of the rooms seem to have sea views. Rooms 214/314-221/321 have direct views of the lighthouse, which is perhaps a more interesting view. The larger rooms are X08, X09, X13, and X14, with X21 being the largest and nicest. There are an inside pool and hot tub. They have a large window which opens to the beachside path, so everyone walking along the path can see inside (not a big deal, though).
Despite my serious problems with the hotel service, this hotel is definitely nicer than the Best Western and has a much nicer location. Although I may have been ripped off by BW due to the last-minute room, this hotel was even less expensive than the BW. According to the staff, this is no longer a Hampton Inn as of 6/1/11, so this may lead to a further drop in quality (?). I usually stay loyal to chains and stayed here due to their affiliation with the HHonors program, so it's probably not too likely I'll stay here again.

Room Tip: See my review above for room numbers w/better view