“The basics done well” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Curly Redwood Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Crescent City
Curly Redwood Lodge
You added Curly Redwood Lodge to your Saves list
701 Redwood Highway S, Crescent City, CA 95531   |
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Crescent City
Astoria, OR
“The basics done well”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

We enjoyed a very pleasant stay in a hotel with character. Don and the other hosts were friendly and informative regarding nearby attractions. They even keep a book of local restaurant menus that are nicely coded to indicate which establishments were given a “thumbs up” by previous guests! Note: it’s within walking distance of the “Good Harvest Café” – one of the highlights of our trip!

Our room was spacious, the beds comfortable, and our stay pleasant. If you don’t require all the modern bells and whistles, and you bring your own soap for the shower, you’ll be fine. The nicest part is the price! Book in advance – before somebody else does…

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Monroe, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

My husband and I love to stay in quirky places on our road trips, and the Curly Redwood Lodge caught our attention. The price was great and the idea of it being built out of one redwood tree made it a must see. We were not disappointed (except by the temperature of the shower. Brrrrr). We did not expect the entire motel to be a time capsule of the 50s/60s but the nostalgia was appreciated by us babyboomers. The rooms are large and clean; very basic but comfortable. The walk-in shower was cool and inviting. Unfortunately, the water temp was also cool, barely warm after a lengthy time waiting and hoping. This would not deter us from a visit nor would it keep us from recommending this charming motel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Alhambra, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

Smelly-like a musty basement. Why this doesn't bother more people, I don't know. I couldn't stand it.

Dated--and not in a good way.

Overrated--sure the rooms are large. So what? Cemetaries are large and green just like a park...do you really want to picnic there? This place is dank and has no charm. Keep driving.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Elko
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

Unfortunately this place was nothing like what we were expecting. Our room had no microwave, frig, other other amenities. There was older furniture from 70's-80's. Not modern up to date at all. Our room smelled badly of stale cigarette smoke even though owners said there was no smoking allowed. When we asked to get a new room we recieved a big attitude. Finally we were given a new room. It was a little better than the first. Room was latge but that is about all it had going for it. Noisy location right on Hwy 101. :-( I will not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

We needed a room to stay on our way north for a camping trip. We arrived late and the staff left a key for us and the light on in our room. The room was large for my wife and two kids. What surprised me is how clean the room was. We even had a parking spot assigned to the room right out front which was great since we arrived so late and had to carry sleeping kids. Everything looked straight from the 50s but in good shape. The bathroom tile was spotless. While it is in no way a lodge, it is a great simple motel. We could have stayed in a chain but the prices were the same or higher. In the morning when we drove through town I couldn't find a better looking option, at least from the outside. I would definitely recommend it as a good reasonably priced option if you need a clean simple motel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

I really didn't care for this place but my husband & kids thought it was cool. After reading about it, I expected the whole place to be made from redwood but it's more like an old hotel back in the Brady Bunch era with a few redwood accents here & there. And that fog horn in the distance....ugh!!! I thought it was neat at first, but by morning it was really annoying. The sheets & towels felt like sandpaper & the shower was the size of a phone booth, but I will say it appeared to be clean. I also want to mention the strange front desk lady. She asked if I had pets atleast 4 times. I don't know what was up with that. I think I would have preferred one if the newer hotels in town but there really aren't many to choose from in Crescent City!

• Stayed July 2010
Weiser, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

Found this gem on Trip Advisor and loved the affordability. Didn't care for their online reservation system, which evidently takes 48 hours to process; so if you're enroute just make a phone call to check for availability. The room was HUGE! It smelled like my grandpa's house, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing - it just smelled like it had been around for many years. A real no frills place, though they had cable and wi-fi. It is right across from the Crescent City harbor, which was a big draw for me. The only downside to our stay was that our room was right next to the ice and vending machines, and even though hotel rules specifically state to NOT fill your ice chests from the ice machine, there was some guest out there at about 0700 hours filling their coolers and making a hellacious racket. I kept hoping someone from the office would come and enforce the rules, but no one did. If you stay here, ask for a room AWAY from the ice machine.

• Stayed June 2010

Been to Curly Redwood Lodge? Share your experiences!