“not bad for the price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Curly Redwood Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Crescent City
Curly Redwood Lodge
701 Redwood Highway S, Crescent City, CA 95531   |
Ranked #4 of 19 hotels in Crescent City
Chilliwack, Canada
“not bad for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

You won't find a better deal in Crescent City. No hair dryers or shampoo in the rooms but the front desk will give you a hair dryer if you ask. The walls are fairly thin but the rooms are spacious. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. We'd stay here again. It doesn't cost a lot so don't expect a lot. It's a very unique place, check out the pics at the front desk of the tree (yes, tree as in 1) this place was built from.

Room Tip: #18 the only room we saw with a flat screen tv.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

260 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Santa Cruz, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I would have given this place a better rating (at least an "average") if it hadn't been for a very negative experience we had with one of the employees.

I've wanted to check Curly Redwood out for ages...I like motels that don't fall into the cookie-cutter mode of modern chain motels, and I was intrigued by the idea that an entire curly redwood tree was used to make it. We were quite pleased when we checked in...our reservation was in order and the man who checked us in was very nice and helpful. Our room was HUGE, and I must admit I like the 1950s decor. There's less of the signature redwood paneling than you might think from the website, but still enough to be very attractive.

Our problem started when our daughter tried to log into the wi-fi network. It allowed her to connect, but wouldn't access the internet. After several attempts with both her and my laptops, I walked down to the office and asked the man who had checked us in if there was any secret we needed to know to use the wi-fi. He said "no," and that it usually didn't cause problems. He did, however, very kindly give us a cable to allow our daughter to connect directly to the modem, which solved her problem, at least.

When we came back from dinner, my husband and I both tried several times to connect to the wi-fi, with no luck. We ran diagnostics, which suggested strongly that the problem was with the router. It wasn't a huge deal from a personal standpoint, but I felt the motel staff should know that they might have a hardware problem, so I walked down to the office again. This time there was a woman behind the desk. I started to mention that we were still having trouble with internet access and she immediately began raving about how Crescent City had terrible internet access (this hasn't been my experience in many years of coming through Crescent City, but whatever) and we just needed to keep trying (we had been). I explained that my daughter had been able to hardwire in, to which she snapped "well, what's your problem then?" I said "it's not a big problem, but..." and she immediately said "so why are you here?" I explained that diagnostics suggested that there might be a problem with the router and that I just felt I should let someone know (I mean, seriously...if there were a problem with the TV or the toilet, you'd contact the office, right? So why not the router?). She got very snippy at that point and said "well, I don't know why you're bothering ME about it." I left before I said something I would regret later, but I was just shaking with anger. I've never been spoken to so rudely by a motel employee in my life. Normally I'm pretty tolerant of malfunctioning internet, especially in an older property such as this, but I'm NOT tolerant of being spoken to so rudely, especially when I was just trying, POLITELY to let staff know about an equipment problem. And, to be honest, there have been times when we might NOT have been able to be so tolerant of malfunctioning equipment, as both my husband and myself do a lot of business on-line.

That experience really upset me, and makes me inclined to be less tolerant of other problems than I might be. I'm going to do my best to be objective, but do be aware that you're hearing this from someone who is still seething from a bad experience.

POSITIVE POINTS: Historic, locally significant property; big rooms; nice decorative touches with a retro flair; convenient and easy-to-find location; excellent access to 101 and to Crescent City attractions; affordable price; and at least one very nice and helpful desk clerk.

NEGATIVE POINTS: Rather noisy; TV in awkward location for viewing from beds; poorly fitting bathroom door that had to be shut hard to close properly (which explains some of the noise, if other rooms were similar to ours); slightly fusty smell in room (I suspect left over from when the property allowed smoking...they may need to replace carpets and drapes); unreliable internet access; and one desk clerk that should not be allowed to come into contact with the public ever again.

The thing is, many of these I can forgive, personally, in a historic property. I'm not too bothered by noise, and I smoked for 20 years. I'm not so wired that I need 24/7 internet access (unless I'm traveling on business). I'll point them out, in a review, but they might not keep me from staying there again, if I like other things about the property. But being treated like an annoyance for simply trying to point out an equipment malfunction left me with such a sour taste in my mouth, I'm afraid I can't recommend this motel, and I personally will never stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

This retro decor motel meet our needs for comfort and cleanliness. The rooms are large and are close to local restaurants ~ we chose the Chart Room & it was delicious.  I would highly recommend this for travelers looking for a good night sleep for a decent price.

• Stayed August 2012
Springfield, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

From the moment I called for reservations I got the impression that this outfit was in the motel business rather than the "hospitality" business as they were very concerned with the rules, when I checked in the rules were re-iterated.

Rooms are spacious free coffee and tea in the lobby, (cups are small so you may want to bring a commuter mug). For $85/night it wasn't too bad.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

This place won't be for everyone, but I loved it. If you need elegance and lots of creature comforts, you will want to look elsewhere. But as a basic, but clean and good value stay, this place certainly fit the bill. I liked the sound of the place from other reviews - nostalgic and retro - and the prices were unbeatable. But I actually ended up liking it a lot more than I thought I would. It reminded me so strongly of my grandparents - who, even when I knew them in the '80s - still had a bit of the '50s about them, and also reminded me of many motel stays from my childhood. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms are enormous and spotless. Between the airy spaceyness of the rooms, the '50s style furniture and lamps, and the curly redwood panelling, I felt this was actually quite an elegant motel in a kind of minimal way. I missed not being able to make coffee first thing in the morning, but they do have coffee in the lobby and you can always - as we did - go to Dennys or someplace for breakfast nearby. Crescent City in general, and this place in particular, feel like a time warp back to the '50s. If you can't get into that nostalgic vibe, you may not find this place as remarkable as I did. But I loved it. One thing of note though: we had some trouble finding it! Our GPS kept navigating us to the Penny Saver Inn instead, and when we finally stopped and asked the Penny Saver people for directions, they lamented that EVERYONE ends up asking them where the Curly Redwood is, because apparently lots of maps and GPS satnavs have it listed incorrectly. It is pretty much the last hotel on 101 as you head S out of town, on your left, across from the harbor.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

Good place to crash and sleep.front desk lady was helpful and nice. Room was comfortable with clean sheets. Bath towels were postage stamp sized tiny. Clean,no frills joint, not a place to hang out for long but good for a safe night

• Stayed August 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

This is not a luxury resort by any means, but if you're looking for luxury, Crescent City is not the place for you. The hotel is clean, the rooms are spacious, and the owner is a gem with all sorts of advice about places to eat, etc. We found sand dollars galore at the south end of Crescent Beach and more sea stars than we could photograph (plus seals and sea lions) on Point St. George (go past the airport and keep going to the end of the road (Pebble Beach Dr.). Be sure to go at low tide.). I highly recommend Curly Redwood Lodge for a comfortable, basic hotel that doesn't try to be more than it is.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Curly Redwood Lodge? Share your experiences!