“hawaii is fantastic” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kawaihae Kitchen Take-Out (Kawaihae Shopping Center)

Kawaihae Kitchen Take-Out (Kawaihae Shopping Center)
61-3665 Akoni Pule #11C, Kawaihae, Island of Hawaii, HI 96743
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Takeout
Gold Coast
“hawaii is fantastic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

Brilliant, is all I can say. Helicopter rides without doors, Hire car trip arround the Island, great scenery

Visited September 2011

Laupahoehoe
“Excellent sushi at a very reasonable price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

This little sushi shop is great for take-out to the beach. My husband and I are seniors and on a fixed income. We find the sushi at Kawaihae Kitchen very tasty, plus reasonably priced. We live on the Hamakua Coast and enjoy going to one of the beaches near Kawaihae. We've found Kawaihae Kitchen is the perfect stop for take-out to the beach. We also think the owners to be very friendly and accommodating . . . and we highly recommend this place.

• Visited May 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
“The Korean Chicken roll is a must have!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

I love their sushi rolls; incredible prices, fresh mouth-pleasing bites. The California roll is tasty, moist and better than ALL the other places I have tried on the Big Island. The Korean Chicken roll is so good I'd wish I could eat more than one. The filling has a crispy sweet seasoned coating. It's surrounded by fresh veggies. Don't wait to eat it. The warmth of the chicken matched with the perfectly seasoned sushi rice is a joy to eat!

I also ordered the spicy Ahi roll for later. When I opened the takeout container the smell of the fresh nori whet my appetite again. The Ahi was so fresh. They really know how to deliver a fresh and satisfying meal. And on that side of the island known as the Gold Coast their prices are unbeatable!

• Visited July 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“Awesome sushi and great price fish and chips!!! Came here several times.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

On a recent trip to the Big Island, I checked out this restaurant, and fell in love with the spicy tuna rolls at first sight. Coming from New York where the price of sushi is sky-high, I was able to get a couple of rolls without breaking the bank. It was my regular hangout thereafter for the duration of the trip because it was that good. I tried their spam masubi (deep-fried spam sandwiched in rice and nori, yum!), fish and chips made with ono, and chicken teriyaki (deliciously crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside, the consistency almost reminds me of soft-shelled crab tempura. Everything was super cheap. I asked them about the sushi, and they told me the fish was local.

Anyway, when I got back to New York, I tried making their fish and chips a couple of times with light panko breading, and it didn't come out right (I tried two types of panko). I noticed a lot of the locals dining there. Cheers!

• Visited July 2011
West Hollywood, California
“Great Food, Great Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

I stopped in here a few weeks ago on the recommendation of a friend and was pleasantly surprised. We were looking for something easy and affordable to take out onto the beach and this place satisfied our needs perfectly. I had the Korean Fried Chicken Bowl and Macaroni salad (which I usually am not such a fan of, but liked it a lot here) and my girlfriend had the Sushi Bowl. In addition to being delicious it was also filling. An excellent accompaniment to a picnic on the beach. The service as well was excellent and the couple who run the place couldn't be nicer. I would absolutely go back again.

• Visited June 2011