“First rate attraction” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Attractions in Triangle
Type: Military Museums, Museums
Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Owner description: The National Museum of the Marine Corps is a lasting tribute to U.S. Marines--past, present, and future. Situated on a 135-acre site adjacent to Marine Corps Base Quantico, Virginia, and under the command of Marine Corps University, the Museum's soaring design evokes the image of the flag-raisers of Iwo Jima and beckons visitors to this 120,000-square-foot structure. World-class interactive exhibits using the most innovative technology surround visitors with irreplaceable artifacts and immerse them in the sights and sounds of Marines in action. Admission and parking are always free.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
4 attraction reviews
“First rate attraction”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

If you are near the I95 corridor, just south of Washington, you should visit the National Museum of the Marine Corps, located in Triangle , Virginia. You can easily spend 1/2 a day there and there is no cost. The outside architecture is stunning and the inside in packed with exhibits which will entertain people of all ages. Whomever were the planners of this museum should be commended. it leads you from the beginning of the Marines through 9/11. Further expansion to include Iraq and Afghanistan is in the works. You will totally enjoy this trip and be proud of our armed forces..

Detroit, Michigan
49 attraction reviews
“A very special place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We were at the Museum for the dedication of the SSgt. Reckless memorial in July. What an awesome museum. The layout and exhibits are wonderful. The staff is friendly and extremely helpful. It was great to be there, that weekend, with my dad and other Marines that served in the Korean War. Don't forget to walk the path of Semper Fidelis Memorial Park. That's were the SSgt. Reckless memorial is located (she holds a special place in our hearts), along with many other wonderful memorials.

Visited July 2013
Woodbridge, Virginia
4 attraction reviews
“An Amazing Museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

My family and I went to the National Museum of the Marine Corps. on Monday August 19, 2013. My husband served in the Marine Corp. from May 1966 to May 1970. He also served in Vietnam from June 1968 to July 1969. So going to the museum to see the Vietnam era was truly an amazing experience for our daughter and myself. The exhibits were great and all of the information was very informative. I had no idea of the people of Vietnam and everything we were there to do. I also found the other war eras to be most interesting. We intend to revisit this museum because there is just too much to take in all in one day. The staff was more than willing to help.

Preston
“Must see!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

After I took the wrong 495 South from College Park, MD on the way to Lynchburg, VA (495 is a loop around DC, with College Park at the top) we ended up on 95 south. We spotted an interesting steel and glass building from the traffic jam we were in, and decided to check it out. What we found was a GREAT museum with free parking, no admission fee, and an incredible, comprehensive history of the USMC, from start to present. Interactive displays make it interesting to all ages - my two daughters and my son's girlfriend enjoyed it, which I was NOT expecting when we pulled into the parking lot! Not sure how they got so many great displays into an area that does not seem like it should hold that much. It was not cluttered or cramped, just very well thought out. We stayed until closing, and could have spent longer! Gives new respect for the sacrifices made by Marines through the ages.

north carolina
6 attraction reviews
“High quality educational experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We (2 seniors and 2 grandsons, 9, and 18) went in as part of a planned vacation in Virginia. All 4 of us (yes, including grandmother) agree that the USMC museum was the most interesting place we saw. I have been there before, and it is apparently seldom crowded - ample free parking - easy to get around and see whatever you want to see. Parking and admission are free and there are both a tavern and a cafe in the museum. The food is edible. It is within 3 or 4 minutes access from I-95. You can easily spend anywhere from 1 to 3 hours there and have a rewarding visit.