“Be sure to get the audio tour!” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Military Museums
Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The National Museum of the Marine Corps is a lasting tribute to U.S. Marines--past, present, and future. Situated on a 135-acre site adjacent to Marine Corps Base Quantico, Virginia, and under the command of Marine Corps University, the Museum's soaring design evokes the image of the flag-raisers of Iwo Jima and beckons visitors to this 120,000-square-foot structure. World-class interactive exhibits using the most innovative technology surround visitors with irreplaceable artifacts and immerse them in the sights and sounds of Marines in action. Admission and parking are always free.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Surprise, Arizona
11 attraction reviews
“Be sure to get the audio tour!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We arrived at this magnificent building about 3:30pm. There's a discount for seniors. The audio tour was great as we traveled thru the history of the Marine Corp. I learned that every branch of service has it's own Medal of Honor. There were many real life displays, actual weapons, kiosks and some interactive displays for young kids. Even though, I think middle school kids would enjoy it more than younger kids.

I would suggest you check the website before your visit. They have actvities through out the year. On 6-20-2013 they have a free concert.

Woodbridge, Virginia, United States
7 attraction reviews
“Marines know how to tell their story!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

The USMC museum is a first rate museum which tells the story of the Marine Corps since their founding. Even as a retired Soldier, I found it interesting. The layout is especially appealing with the right mix of lief sized dioramas, video kiosks and artifacts. The museum is best visited by junior high kids and up. The Marine Museum doesn't glorify or exploit the horrors of war, but does show what happens. It tells a very compelling story. The gift store is especially well stocked with USMC memorabilia. The museum is very easy to get off of I95 and parking is plentiful. Admission is free. Worth the short drive from DC if you are in the area.

Visited May 2013
Los Angeles, California
13 attraction reviews
“The best Museum anywhere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is an amazing museum. Only about 7 years old, it grows and has new exhibits every time. A very interesting architectural building, with hanging aircraft and interactive exhibits. It has different sections for each part of US Marine History. Many Marines work there and docents from many wars and years of service. Even Frank Matthews, an Iwo Jima veteran is there to tell you the way it was. The actual flag that flew over Iwo is there too. You can spend 2 hours or 5 hours. There is food and a Tun Tavern for drinks. The drive from Washington DC is only 30 min, but well worth the trip.

Raleigh, North Carolina
7 attraction reviews
“A Gem in the Environs of Washington, DC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

The National Museum of the Marien Corps is a great place to visit with your family. It is about 30 miles south of Washington, DC but the short trip is worth your time. The museum is a history of the U.S. Marines from the American Revolution until today. There are so many attractions for the entire family to see and admission is free. The museum traces the evolution of the marine corp and the marine corp band, which is know as the President's band. There are place to eat and a great gift shop which carries all sorts of things to bring home as a memento of your visit. The grouds are well kep and there is ample parking. This is a wonderful experience for all

Visited May 2013
Harrisonburg, Virginia, United States
“Best place in VA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

First off let me start by saying we drove 125 miles from Harrisonburg va to get here, Man was I surprised!! Not only did I enjoy myself along with my wife and my mom but we saw history that we never had seen before here. Overall the best experience possible, But just like all things, every good thing also has a bad thing to it and this one's bad thing is snakes! On our way out 4:40pm exactly I looked at my watch when we saw it, in the memorial garden not the first statue that you come to but the second statue on our way back we encountered a green garden snake. Now I know these things are friendly but still I don't want to encounter snakes at all much less have kids around and mistake a snake for a stick and get bit. We alerted them about the snake as soon as we came back to the entrance and they just brushed it off like it was nothing. They told us "Those are the good snakes, We don't kill those" and did absolutely nothing about it, to me that is plain rude and disrespectful and making a bad image for the marines. Not only that but that is also putting the public at danger, especially little kids! So parents if you take your kids here Beware! Watch out for snakes and be extra careful if outside in the memorial garden. Other than the snake it was defiantly worth the 253-255 miles journey we went on down and back.