“Great Historic Hotel. Must stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Historic Calumet Inn
104 West Main, Pipestone, MN 56164   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Pipestone B&B and Inns
Iowa
“Great Historic Hotel. Must stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Looking for a great Historic Hotel not far from I-29 or I-90, this is the one. Great service, great food, very friendly town. Owner Vanda goes out of her way to make you feel welcome. Great job. Will be back.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
CalumetInn, Owner at Historic Calumet Inn, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for your review. We hope to have the honor of hosting you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Happened to stay here enroute from SD to home, because we found it on the Internet, and what a great choice! Beautiful historic structure, large rooms with historic design, antiques, & comfy beds. On site lounge, pub in the basement, and lovely restaurant which was serving Easter Brunch this morning. We couldn't stay, but the restaurant was beautifully decorated for Easter, and they let us take a bunch of goodies for breakfast. The food is to die for!! Don't leave without caramel rolls or carrot cake at a minimum. The people were fun and friendly, and this will be our new stop enroute to SD from now on. Highly recommend!

Stayed April 2015
CalumetInn, Owner at Historic Calumet Inn, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thank you for your review! We hope you enjoyed the breakfast goodies and hope to have the honor of hosting you again someday. Happy Easter!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2015

Had a great night in the second floor jacuzzi room suite after a long day of hiking. Was treated very well and we would stay again in a heartbeat:) Very sweet staff! Love the old building and details.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and hope to have the honor of having you back!
Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2015

The Calumet was the most amazing experience I’ve ever had in a hotel. I travel for work 3 weeks out of the month and have stayed in hundreds of hotels, eaten in thousands of restaurants around the world and have never encountered such a grand place. I had a real-estate deal in Pipestone, MN that lasted 6 months and as a result my co-worker and I stayed at The Calumet dozens of times. Since my deal took 6 month’s a had the luxury of meeting the entire staff of outstanding employees, from housekeeping to the cooks, waitresses, waiters, bartenders and maintenance personnel and you couldn’t find a more helpful hard working class of people. The hotel also has two wonderful restaurants with wide variety of choices on the menu along with two nice bars with a great selection of wines. The hotel is over 130 years old and has ton of history behind it, like crazy fun ghost stories, guided tours the go through the hotel every Saturday night during the summer months and across the street is the clothing store where Sam Walton got the idea for Walmart “ now that’s inspirational”. The hotel has all the modern day amenities such as wireless internet, fitness room, HBO & many others. The rooms and hotel itself are immaculately cleaned and kept up. This really is a fun place to stay, I loved it here!
To the entire staff of the Calumet you’re wonderful & awesome and you will be missed! Thank you so much!

Now for the really hard part of this review,

To the owners: Vanda & Rita Smrkovski.

I stayed as a guest but left with a friendship I will honor and cherish for the rest of my life.

You girls are truly the most amazing people I have ever had the privilege meeting, I have trouble even finding the words to describe how wonderful the both of you really are. When you travel as much as I do, the days can turn into months then into years and you always made me feel like I was home. When you grow up in New York kindness can be misconstrued for weakness and you’re anything but that. You’re some of the strongest people I’ve ever met, the passions, drive, ambition with the sheer will to succeed and settle for nothing less than absolute perfection would gain the envy of Antony Robbins.

Vanda,

Anyone who bets against you would be a total & utter fool; you have so much to offer this world and I’m absolutely 100% confident that any project you start in the future will be a stunning success. You are truly an amazingly intriguing individual. I loved our talks, you helped me rethink & change my outlook on life and I learned a lot about who I am & what I want and for that you will always be remembered.

Thank you, Vanda.

Rita “More affectionately known as Momda”,

I absolutely adore you. You made me feel like a part of your own family with all of the wonderful things you did for me. You brighten up my days when they were dark and cooked me Thai food & cakes and sent me home a better person, you treated me as a son and I will never forget you for that “or will my mother, who I think loves you more than I for feeding me correctly” If I ever see greatness again, I will only think of you.

Thank you, Rita.

P.s

The media will only show what sells advertising at any expense, even the general public that buys it.

Patrick J. Oakes ll

Room Tip: 308 It's the haunted room with all the crazy ghosts
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
CalumetInn, Owner at Historic Calumet Inn, responded to this review, January 13, 2015
Thank you for your review, Patrick. It's been a pleasure and a privilege hosting you over the past six months. We hope to have the honor of hosting you again soon!
here and there
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2014

This is a neat place! Great bedding, comfortable bed, great old clawfoot tubs. Very clean, and great prices. Great dinner in the restaurant (homemade ribs and carrot cake, neat room- each one is different. Lots of history in this little town. It's a nice alternative to drive up here on the way to the twin cities than driving on the interstate the whole way. Completely helpful and friendly staff. A lot more of a 'destination' than we had imagined!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
CalumetInn, Owner at Historic Calumet Inn, responded to this review, December 20, 2014
Thank you for your review! We strive to make every guest experience a fantastic one, and we are pleased that we succeeded with you. We hope to have the privilege of hosting you folks again.
Goodland, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2014

Gorgeous old building. There was a mis-communication in our booking, but the owner, Vanda, was WONDERFUL. She allowed us to choose our room and upgraded us with no charge.
We ended up in the fabulous Melody of Love suite.
As we are huge Hotel Hell fans (although we honestly had no idea which rooms had been redone) this was a neat bonus.

The only complaint would be the food. We upgraded to include a dinner package for one night and were so excited for the prime rib dinner. It most definitely was not prime rib. We both got a huge chunk of well done pot roast.

The waitress was nice about it. She even stated that she knew it was not prime rib, and the chef was from Washington, so maybe that's what prime rib was out there. She said he was "in a mood" so she didn't want to say much to him, but that she definitely wanted the owner, Vanda, to see since it was overdone, and not what was advertised.
We were offered free dessert.

Save your money on the prime rib, but other than that, great old hotel, really friendly staff, nice ambience.

Would DEFINITELY stay again.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
CalumetInn, Owner at Historic Calumet Inn, responded to this review, December 17, 2014
Thank you for your review! It was great to host such lovely people, and it was a pleasure to upgrade you for your anniversary. We are pleased that you enjoyed the history and unique charm of this historic inn, and hope you come back to explore more of Pipestone's pioneer and tribal history. We apologize for the prime rib incident that night; the chefs switch up the preparation and flavor of our Saturday night steak in order to keep things interesting...we apologize that it was not what you expected. We hope to have the honor of hosting you again so we can show you the exquisite tastes of our filet mignon, ribeye, or flat iron steaks, as they are a definite crowd pleaser.
Locust, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2014

We found the Historic Calumet Inn on a trip to Minnesota during the week of Thanksgiving. We searched tripadvisor to find an interesting place to stay in the Pipestone area. Thankfully, we found the Historic Calumet Inn. The facility is historic, clean, and neat. The building has so much character. The rooms have been nicely remodeled recently by the owners. We were very comfortable during our stay. The best part of the stay there was the kindness and hospitality of the owners. We arrived at 7pm on Thanksgiving night. Most restaurants are closed that day, so we luckily found lunch at a grocery store deli. We had something to eat that night, but it wasn't the best. When we asked the owners if we could heat up our leftover food, they offered us some leftovers from the Thanksgiving lunch served at their restaurant earlier in the day. We unloaded our car and came into the empty restaurant to find a table full of delicious food they had so graciously heated for us. It was delicious! We want to return to the area in the summer to experience Minnesota when it is not frigid. We look forward to staying there a second time when we come back. If you need a wonderful place to spend the night in Pipestone, MN, the Historic Calumet Inn is the place for you.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
CalumetInn, Owner at Historic Calumet Inn, responded to this review, November 29, 2014
Thank you for your review! We were more than happy to share our Thanksgiving Brunch items with you, even if they were just leftovers. We hope to have the honor of hosting you and your husband again in Pipestone summer!

Been to Historic Calumet Inn? Share your experiences!