“Home Away From Home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Pipestone B&B and Inns
Ripon, Wisconsin
“Home Away From Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

I stayed at The Historic Calumet for 3 months while I worked in Pipestone. I moved from a different hotel in town to the Calumet after a week because we enjoyed eating at the restaurant and hanging out afterward. The food was good and the atmosphere was even better. The hotel is family owned and the management and staff made us feel welcome and at home. Even after our job in Pipestone was concluded and the work moved to Sioux Falls, we chose to stay at The Calumet and drive the hour long commute, there and back. From travelling a lot, I know how rare and valuable it is to find a place that feels like a second home. I will miss staying here and I would definitely return!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
CalumetInn, Owner at Historic Calumet Inn, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Mark! It was a complete joy to host you (and your boys). Glad you fell in love with our BBQ Ribs that you convinced us to create a "double order" button. Stay safe on the road and keep in touch! You all are welcome back "home" when you're in this area again. Cheers and thanks for everything! :-)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Saukville, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

I have stayed in many hotels all over the country, due to my line of work. The Historic Calumet Inn has been one of the best I have stayed at. I am always homesick but coming back to the Calumet after a long work day is a pleasure. The staff is what makes the hotel special. They go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. They also help with special requestes that I cannot take care of during my work day,(ie. mailing documents, printing and faxing). Many hotels treat you as a tenant only but here you feel like family. From the front desk to the servers to the bartenders you always feel as though you are part of their family. For any companies that are looking for a place for their workers to stay, the Calumet offers excellent rates and outstanding service. It is like being at home when I am 600 miles from my home.
Matthew Reindl

Room Tip: Ask to see different rooms. Each one is different and offers something special.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you, Matt, for your kind words! It was a joy to host you and your crew. We hope you felt like part of the Calumet family and expect to see you here again someday! You are always welcome back "home." :-) Good luck and enjoy the road!!
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

My family of 4 stayed 1 night before my extended family came for brunch the next day as part of our Thanks-mas get-together. We stayed in one of the original rooms. We found it very comfortable and warm. Had an occasional loud car drive down the main street during the night, but otherwise, slept well. The food in the restaurant was very good for supper on Saturday night and then brunch on Sunday. Even if you don't stay overnight, come for a good meal!
New owners as of about a year ago. I cannot imagine the upkeep on a 125 year old structure. Yes, there are cosmetic upgrades needed here and there, but until they are able to take care of those, they keep it clean. Christmas trees had just arrived - wish we'd seen them (all 26?) decorated!
Friendly and helpful staff! We will be back to stay. Thanks for accommodating our large group, Vanda!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
You all were an incredibly sweet family to accommodate! Thanks again for choosing us for your lodging and dining needs, and we hope to see you again soon! :-)
Beach, North Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

The hotel is beautiful on the outside. Inside, it has great potential. In agreement with another reviewer, while not expecting "elegance", I would have settled for "not smelly." The ceiling in the entry was leaking badly...what can staff do except add a mop bucket? Carpet was so very worn and soiled. We made our reservation at the last minute, so perhaps the best rooms were already booked, but ours was tired. The bed was really soft and the wallpaper was indescribably ugly...not the old, historic kind, just old. On a brighter note, the staff was very nice, the restaurant was affordable, the food was okay, and the breakfast was lovely. Did I mention the outside of the hotel is beautiful?

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! :-) We are glad you enjoyed the service and beauty of our little piece of MN history! Next time we'll have to put you in one of our best rooms. :-) You're right--some of our rooms' wallpaper do need a facelift, which is definitely on our to-do list (perhaps sometime next year). Every room is unique here--there are beautiful Jacuzzi rooms and Victorian-styled rooms where we send most of our tourists....and there are several rooms where most traveling construction workers prefer to stay. We can usually accommodate everyone's tastes here, but sometimes cannot due to limited availability. :-) Thank you again for choosing us for your lodging needs. Hope to host you again soon! (Request a tour and you can choose your favorite room!
Cecil, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I was a little skeptical staying in a place as old as this but wow .... I had a great stay! The staff was very friendly and eager to make your stay one to remember. There is a bar in the lower level and another bar on floor 1. The lower level bar has two pool tables, dart board, and a music box. The upper bar is more dinning oriented. I have stayed here for about one month and my job is relocating me to Sioux Falls, SD. Because I enjoy the hotel, staff, and rates I plan on commuting everyday back to the Historic Calumet Inn. If you lucky enough to check this place out I might still be here. The building is old and solid both inside and out each room has a different layout. There are some carpet or maybe some other updates some people might want in a hotel room. But why settle for a hotel room when you can have an adventure. Thank you Calumet and Staff.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
CalumetInn, Owner at Historic Calumet Inn, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words! We've enjoyed hosting you as well, and are very pleased that you've decided to stay with us despite your work relocation. :-) Always a pleasure to serve you food, drinks, and greet you after a hard day's work.
St. Paul
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

This historic hotel was very interesting. It is made out of beautiful rock that was quarried nearby. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. The food in the dining room was excellent. We liked the downtown location and it was easy to park in the lot.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room far from the basement bar noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay! We hope to host you again someday. :-)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I was so excited after reading previous reviews to come here for a special anniversary stay. I love old, historic places. I wasn't expecting a 5 star hotel or anything close, but wow this really disheartened me as it was nothing close to what other reviews said. Unfortunately, this place was far from charming. It has great potential, but is in need of MAJOR renovation. Our room was dark, musty smelling, peeling wallpaper with holes in the walls, and mold growing on the pictures. The carpet & furniture was smelly, worn and old and our "kitchenette" was an old dorm type fridge with a microwave on top sitting on an old leaning table. It took forever to get hot water in the shower and the shower. The "white" towels and linens were yellowed & stained. The restaurant was also disappointing. The Filet Mignon I ordered was very tough and didn't even come with a steak knife. I asked for one, and still could barely cut and chew it. My husband's meal was better, yet not great. The chocolate mousse pie tasted stale and old like it had been in the freezer or refrigerator way too long. Flies kept buzzing around the table while we ate and the decor was cheap and dated. I will say breakfast the next day had amazingly good cinnamon rolls and the staff seemed very friendly. Unfortunately, those things didn't make up for the musty, run down room and bad dinner meal. I wanted so badly to enjoy this hotel. What a disappointment.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
CalumetInn, Owner at Historic Calumet Inn, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Thank you for your feedback! :-) Reading your comments, we wish we could have upgraded you to a better room. We have 36 completely unique rooms here at the Calumet, each with different designs and furniture. Our 2nd floor has beautifully furnished antique rooms, while our 3rd and 4th floors have a mixture of "standard" rooms, many offering kitchenettes. We host countless construction workers on the 3rd & 4th floors all year long, and it can be very challenging to keep up with maintenance, as guests often return from a hard day's work with stained clothing and hands. We try very hard to keep all tourists on the 2nd floor. However, when our best rooms are fully booked, we have no choice but to offer them other rooms. We also regret hearing about your Filet Mignon! That is normally a top-seller here, as it is extremely tender and juicy. However, every now and then, a tougher cut of meat gets delivered to us, and we do not realize it until it gets taken off the grill. We hope to host you again someday and put you in one of our finer rooms. :-) Thank you again for the comments and we hope to see you again!

Been to Historic Calumet Inn? Share your experiences!