“Nice, but only queen beds” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #50 of 145 hotels in Albuquerque
Alameda, CA
“Nice, but only queen beds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

If you are a singleton, or a couple that's used to sleeping in a queen bed, this place would work for you. Apparently, they only offer rooms with a queen bed which made for a tight night with the hubby.

It's clearly made for the business traveler who needs kitchen facilities and lots of room to work. It was in an industrial part of town--and the Blake's Lotaburger headquarters. So, it made me believe that the Lotaburger was the raison d'etre of this location.

The room was clean and modern; it looked as if it had been remodeled or updated recently. The bedding was nice and the mattress was comfortable. The room had a huge counter attached to the bureau which made spreading out and working pretty easy. WIFI was easy to access and we even popped some corn while waiting for our clothes to dry in their laundry/gym.

All in all, a pleasant trip; made even better by the 13 month golden retriever of one of the guests! This place is dog friendly, to boot.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Rachel L, Manager at Candlewood Suites Albuquerque, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We hope to see you the next time you are in Albuquerque.

82 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Liberty, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I made an advanced purchase/reservation on the internet for my room and saved a ton of money. I only paid about half of what I normally pay for a room at a Candlewood Suites Hotel. This made me a little suspicious about the hotel. When you arrive at the hotel you'll notice that there is a security door that requires a key card to get into the lobby. If you don't have a key card then the attendant has to let you in. The attendant at the front desk was very friendly. In fact, my mom dropped her purse somewhere between the front door and our room and the attendant brought the purse to our room (and my mom's purse still had all of the money and credit cards inside). I would give the front desk attendant 5 stars! The hallways have some wear and tear on them but the rooms look like they have been updated within the last couple of years. I couldn't detect any bedbugs when sleeping. I was a little leary of the location of the hotel when I arrived. You'll notice that some of the nearby retailers have the metal security gates on the doors/windows. However, I didn't have any problems and felt pretty safe. There are a lot of the typical retailers close by (Walmart, McDonalds, Pizza Hut, etc...However, I went to Jack in the Box for dinner and got combo #12 and the lady forgot to put my curly fries in my to-go bag. The hotel was very quiet which is a big plus. I would recommend that you ask for a room on the 3rd floor. I would definitely recommend this hotel. In fact, I've already made a reservation to stay here on my way back to Kansas City. If you purchase/reserve your room 10 days in advance you can save a ton of money.

Room Tip: Request a room on the 3rd floor. Pay for your room 10 days or more in advance online and you'll...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
LizEspino, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Albuquerque, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you so much for the positive review. We appreciate your business and strive to make our guests feel safe and at home.
We completed a full renovation in January 2012. The hotel has many modern upgrades including cabinetry, flooring, functional work space, textures and colors.
When you return, please be sure to ask for me - Liz Espinoza, I would love to say hello and personally welcome you to the hotel and Albuquerque!
Las Cruces, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I work at an IHG property that if very clean and only expect that when I stay at a hotel that it will be clean and comfortable. The girl at the counter was very friendly and checked me in very quickly. The room was not vacuumed; there were candy wrappers between the night stand and the wall. There was some white/gray hair on the bed near the pillows and I’m not sure if it pets hair or a guests. My boyfriend when to the bathroom as soon as we checked- in as any guest does- he looked at the floor and noticed some hair not much but there was some. He also noticed that the back of the bathroom door had some nasty off white goo. I went to tell the girl at the counter about what we had seen since we checked- in and she moved us room. We were pleased that she was very nice once again. We were moved to the third floor and I walked in and started looking around, there were no wrappers on the floor but the carpet was not vacuumed, there was more hair in the bathroom and hair stuck on the bathroom door! That is not the worst of it... As I moved the curtains out ran a HUGE roach maybe like a couple inches long. My boyfriend told me to not say anything that night but to just mention it at check-out. In the morning I did mention to the front desk representative who happened to be the general manager of the property and all she told me was "we'll spray that" I have no idea what the "that" was but in any case I was charged for my room. I went paying an employee rate which is nothing really but just enough to cover the cleaning/labor cost of the room. I don't understand because both rooms were not cleaned properly and the rooms are not being inspected. Not one person has ever complained that the property I work at is dirty.
As a hotel management graduate I was very disappointed with my stay at Candlewood Suites Albuquerque.
-YF

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

If this was a vacation trip instead of work, I would have had more use for the kitchen facilities. It's in a fairly central location as far as Albuquerque is concerned. Close to Walmart, if that's where you shop. Lots of cameras inside and out, so I don't know if that makes me feel safer, or not. It's got your typical gym equipment for a smaller chain hotel, it all worked well, but there are no towels or equipment cleaning products on hand. Great room facilities, but this chain has weekly maid service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Candlewood for 4 nights. This was our first experience at any Candlewood establishment and we chose it because we were looking for a place that would enable us to cook our own meals and 'settle in' for a few days while on a short holiday in the US.

We were very impressed with our experience. Our 1 bedroom apartment was neat, clean and spacious, with everything we needed for a comfortable stay. All the kitchen basics were covered - cutlery & crockery, cooking items, dishwashing liquid, tea towels and even paper towels and filter coffee sachets, plus plenty of storage space for any groceries we bought. A small cooktop was complemented by a microwave and even a dishwasher.

The bathroom was well equipped and not cramped at all, and the towels were thick and fluffy.

The bedroom had one of the most comfortable beds I've slept in and the bed linen was crisp and good quality. They even provided both feather and foam pillows to choose from. The drapes did an effective job of blocking the light.

There were two large flat screen TVs, one in the living area and one in the bedroom. The living area also had a DVD player, which you can use to watch any of the DVDs from the free video library at reception. The only thing that wasn't perfect for us was the air conditioner - we were there in October but still needed the cooler in the afternoons and it did get quite noisy, but luckily we didn't need it on all night. I can imagine that this would be frustrating in the hotter months.

As well as the free DVD library, there's free wi-fi, free laundry facilities and gym. And the best part about Candlewood was the Candlewood Cupboard - an assortment of very reasonably priced ready meals, snacks and traveller essentials available for purchase on an honour based system. Perfect for those late arrivals when you are too tired to eat out.

The location is clearly the Candlewood's weakest aspect for anyone who doesn't have their own vehicle (it was a good 90 minute walk into Old Town), but there is a bus stop right on the corner that will take you into downtown every 20 minutes or so for $1 (or $2 for a day pass). There are a few dining options within easy walking distance (an Applebees almost across the road and a Little Anita's a few blocks away), and a 24 hour Walmart is about a 5 minute walk away for all your grocery needs.

To top things off, we found the staff at the front desk to be very friendly and helpful. This was great value for the price. If we are ever lucky enough to visit ABQ again, we will definitely be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New Braunfels
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I had a great stay at first then I extended my stay I called in to do so, the next day I was woken up by house keeping banging on my door. over & over mind yuo I extended my stay because I was ill. Then I start getting harassing phone calls from front desk. Mind you the money has already been taken out of my account. Stilll calling to go down to front desk, so I go down to front dek tell her Im staying 2 more day. The girl says fine I ask do I need to sign anything she says no. I go back to my room to be sick. Sick all night still in room again bang bang bang said what I dont need house keeping. She comes in anyway now naked freaking out just out of shower. Then 10 minutes later ring ring ring....rudly the woman says YOU NEED TO COME DOWN HERE NOW, I said I have already saying 2 more days cant i just pay you like the last times with out coming back down there I went last night ....NO YOU have to come now...Im sick I cant...No now. Canat you look on you tape & see I went down there last night?? No mam I dont know what you look like...so I go down there, mind you all night my key had been deactivated I think 3 times,and my internet, becase she didnt renew them. But she said no the key was deactivated because of your cell phone. Said oh I have been here a week and just now they are deactivated because you checked me out then basically she called me a liar.....ACTUALLY EVERYONE IS GREAT BUT DAY TIME OPERATIONS MANAGER....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Gardnerville, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

This was my husband's and my first stay at a Candlewood, but not our last. Loved the way the room was designed, with a long countertop area to eat or work, flatscreen TV, comfortable bed, kitchenette. Very clean room, and great price. What a great introduction to the chain, and we'll be using them again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Candlewood Suites Albuquerque? Share your experiences!