“Hotel Blue leaves black bags under eyes.” 3 of 5 stars

The Hotel Blue
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   717 Central Avenue NW, Albuquerque, NM 87103   |
Ranked #65 of 146 Hotels in Albuquerque
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Hotel Blue leaves black bags under eyes.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

I've stayed here many times when in Albuquerque because I like how close it is to downtown, Old-Town and the UNM area. However, my most recent stay (and that is what reviews are about in my opinion) was so noisy, rambunctious that we barely slept and probably won't be back. We were on the side nearest the Park instead of the Downtown side. I've stayed on the Park side before but never has the hotel felt like it has paper walls and no windows. The sounds of engines, cars, motorcycles and traffic in general came right through the doors and window until 3am. From 1:30-3:00am the sounds of people returning to their rooms sounded like they were in our room. The concrete floating floors of the breezeway can be felt in your rooms too. Even the lobby seemed overly noisy and the staff distracted. How to fix this? I have no idea.Comfy beds though. Tempurpedic. I only know I had to perform the next morning and was dragging. Maybe I'll stay again if I just want to have fun but if I need to rest or sleep I'll stay elsewhere. The Wireless never connected for any of us on any of our devices. Very very very poor signal. That alone is reason to stay somewhere else. If you can sleep through ANYTHING stay here. Good location. Parking is very tight but it is gated and secure which you need in downtown Albuquerque.

Room Tip: If you can get a room on the Downtown side and towards the back of the Hotel i.e. the north side. Tr...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

It's difficult to say enough nice things about this hotel, simply because the staff is without peer. For the price, there is nothing on the planet that compares - - and actually, regardless of price, it's the service that is peerless. Spectacular folks, from the manager to the desk folks; you won't find more polite, accommodating, or gracious people anywhere. I also am most impressed with their tempurpedic (sp?) beds, which are truly comfy; and there's a nice complimentary breakfast every morning. If you want a pleasant surprise at how first-rate service can convert a typical hotel experience into something truly memorable, give the Blue a try; in more than 30 years of travel, they meet the highest standards. Wonderful!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Fort Collins, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

The staff here are wonderfully friendly and helpful. The hotel has had some updates and is supporting recycling and low waste (e.g. dispensers in the bathrooms). I would like more fresh fruit and hot eggs for breakfast.

Room Tip: rooms to north east will have less street noise.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

While I would not consider Hotel Blue to be a luxury hotel, it is truly an excellent value for the money. What I like most are the Tempurpedic beds, I have one at home so it's much more like sleeping in my own bed (and they are very comfortable). They have a pretty decent complimentary continental breakfast included in the price. Delicious chocolate chip cookies at the check in desk. Decently clean rooms with large flat screen televisions, and free movie channels. Free internet. Convenient downtown location. I appreciate that the construction of the building is concrete block, so it relatively quiet in the room (though you can hear some noise through the door from outside). Best of all, pets are allowed for a reasonable fee. There are a lot of little extras you get at Hotel Blue, but the price is competitive with run of the mill hotel chains. I stay here pretty much every time I visit Albuquerque, and highly recommend it to just about anyone.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

I travel quite a bit for an association, so I'm always looking for the sweet spot between services and value. The Hotel Blue wins on a lot of counts (terrific, friendly service; free shuttles; cleanliness/safety/location) and, predictably at this price point, craps out on a few others (aesthetics, high-end amenities, exquisite attention to detail). There's a bar-restaurant in the works that can't come too soon, as there's *nowhere* in the immediate area to get a drink and snack past 9pm. And while the rooms are clean and feel safe, overall, the property has a kind of rusty, shabby vibe, especially around the exteriors and the elevators.

The location is great in the daytime, though: a couple of good choices for breakfast/lunch and coffee, a cute used bookstore, close to Downtown and Old Town. There are also big-a** flat screens, speedy Internet (albeit with a wired Ethernet connection, so bring your dongles, Air-users), Tempurpedic mattresses (although the pillows aren't great), free cookies in the lobby from the afternoon on—in other words, mostly useful added touches, but nothing fancy.

If you like your hotels ultra-luxurious or sleekly designed, this is not the place for you. The decor might charitably be described as budget "art deco" run through a cockeyed 1990s Miami filter, with some baffling anomalies—what's up with the individual fake fireplaces in the rooms? But if you're a traveler looking for value at a certain price point, it's pretty hard to beat.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Benicia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

I stayed at this hotel when I was moving from NC to CA. I had mom, the dog and myself which was stressful in itself. By the time we had made it to Albuquerque, i was spent. The nicest thing happened. We were greeted by Ian who was very helpful wnd when I told him I had been unloading all our belongings night after night and was not sure how safe truck would be in the parking lot, he offered to let me use their underground garage which was secure with roll down gate at night. Our room was newly redone with big TV and the best Temperpedic bed. It was so delightful, we spent three nights. Dog gave two paws up for all the pats and belly rubs given by staff. Would go to Albuquerque again just to stay there!

Room Tip: Ask for newly remodeled room
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Bel Air, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

I have to admit, I was initially a little trepidatious in staying at a location not adjacent to the convention center. I'm happy now that I made this decision.

The location was excellent. My daily walk to the convention center was only about 10 minutes, while still remaining in walking distance to Old Town. An even better bonus was the convenience to nice, safe neighborhoods in which to enjoy a morning run. The Bosque Trail and Rio Grande Park were also easy to walk/run to.

The look of the elevator made me wonder what kind of property I was going to be staying in, but it belied the investment made in the guest rooms. The Tempurpedic bed was comfortable, and helped provide thorough nights' sleep. The updated aesthetic in the bathroom was a nice touch. The electric fireplace was a little hoaky, but not obtrusive.

Unlike some previous reviews, I found the property to be reasonably maintained and clean. I also felt completely safe during the full extent of my stay.

Close dining options are limited; however, the hotel shuttle can get you to places with greater variety. There is also a good independant coffee shop a block away.

Should I find a need to do business in ABQ again, I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Hotel Blue? Share your experiences!