“Lobby, breakfast = very nice; room = so-so” 4 of 5 stars

Announcement
Join Hyatt Gold Passport®
Ranked #67 of 145 hotels in Albuquerque
Lees Summit
“Lobby, breakfast = very nice; room = so-so”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I found the Hyatt Place Uptown to be average in the places it counts, the rooms but it earns an extra point for the breakfast and common areas.

This was my first visit to ABQ and was put up at the Hyatt (on business). The lobby and desk staff are great. The lobby is modern and comfortable. The staff gave me a quick tour upon my arrival and were very helpful. The included breakfast is above average especially the hot options (waffles or french toast, breakfast sandwiches).

However, the room, while spacious, left some things to be desired. I had some trouble connecting to the wifi (in the middle of the third floor), the hall noise was distracting, and the shower left much to be desired. The faucet of the shower did not work well and took some time to warm up. When turning it off it made a loud thunk (as did the neighbors, I heard it every morning).

I did like (although I did not use) the AV panel allowing connection of personal devices to the large TV. I also found the sitting area usual in getting some business work done in the room without feeling cramped.

Overall, the property is nice and I likely simply got a bad room assignment but I would explore other options next time I am in the area.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room away from the elevator (they are noisy and slow), south facing rooms have a be...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

170 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Banbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed here in October 2012 and found all aspects of this hotel to my liking. My enjoyment of the well-organised and clean facilities was further enhanced by the excellent customer service I received at all times from the staff on duty. I particularly enjoyed the range and quality of the foods offered free at breakfast daily.

Room Tip: My room was on the ground floor adjacent to a service door and also a public exit. This resulted in...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
shehnaz49, General Manager at Hyatt Place Uptown, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for your response. Please come back and visit us again the next time you are in Albuquerque.

Area Manager
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The location is great, room spacious with comfy beds and good shower but if you want breakfast you are out of luck unless you want a soggy "egg patty sandwich." The only protein available is a bad egg /canadian bacon/english muffin mess. They have oatmeal, cereal, toast and yogurt but if you want an egg...forget it. I asked for an english muffin to toast and they said they didn't have any....I gestured at the eng muffin sandwich and the attendant told me they were pre-made, frozen items. Maybe a minor complaint, but if you're catching an early flight you want a decent breakfast!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your response. I am sorry the Breakfast was not what you had expected. Please give us another opportunity to serve you.

Tahnk you again

Area Manager
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed here one night this summer and paid around $100 nightly rate. I had been travelling a lot with our son's basketball team and paying more for a lot less room. The room was very nice, with a large flat screen tv and a separate sitting area. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful.

The negatives were that one of the elevators was out, making for a very long wait for the remaining elevator, and the outdoor lights were so bright and the hotel did not have blackout drapes. We were so tired that it didn't affect our sleep but normally that would disturb me. Still, we really liked the location and the proximity to Trader Joe's, where we shopped before continuing our trip.

Room Tip: Our room faced the shopping center, it may be less bright on the other side of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for posting a response. Sorry for the dealy in responding with a Thank you. Please come back and visit us again the next time you are in Albuquerque.

Area manager
Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This is a nice property located in a convenient area for my trips to ABQ but on my second visit here this weekend I was issues a handicapped-accessible room that has a weird layout and some quirky, uncomfortable details. Among these are a smaller than typical bathtub with molded plastic elements that, one of which, I kept hitting with my forehead (and it hurt!!). Second, the desk area has no usable outlets anywhere near it unless you wish to unplug the lamp and phone (huh?). Unless you are handicapped, I would suggest you ask for a different room. Otherwise the property is comfortable and clean. Slept well in the bed and area is quiet. Desk staff is super nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a regular room, not handicapped accessible if you don't need it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here two nights for the balloon fiesta. Very nice hotel service was fast and friendly,rooms were clean and comfortable. Hotel is close to just about everything.This is the place to stay in albuquerque.

• Stayed October 2012
San Antonio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

These people are flat-out dishonest. I booked my room on Expedia. I picked this hotel because it was within walking distance of nice restaurants and shops and because it included breakfast. When I showed up to check in my room, the desk clerk told me my room had "flooded" and was not available. "No big deal, I'll go somewhere else," I thought to myself. The clerk then informed me that they had already booked me at the Sheraton Uptown down the street. Now, I had previously considered the Sheraton because it was in the same area but had purposefully decided against it because it's older, is not as close to the shops and restaurants, and does not include continental breakfast. I told the clerk to simply cancel my reservation and that I would find somewhere else to stay.

This is where the games began. The clerk told me that I would have to cancel through Expedia because Expedia had already charged me. I told the clerk that this didn't make any sense because they were the ones who would end up charging my card, not Expedia. The clerk then went in to talk to the manager, came back out, and said "sorry, call Expedia."

So I called the Expedia customer service line, and the rep told me that unless Hyatt Place agreed to release my reservation, I would be billed full price. The Expedia rep then put me on hold and called the Hyatt Place to see if they would release the reservation. After a few minutes of waiting on hold, the rep came back on and said the manager would not agree to release my reservation because they had already booked me at Sheraton, a hotel at which I never requested to be booked!! THE CLERK HAD FLAT-OUT LIED TO ME THAT ONLY EXPEIDA COULD RELEASE THE RESERVATION. When I explained to the Expedia rep that I didn't want to stay in Sheraton, she basically said I had to call the manager at Hyatt and get her to release the reservation.

By this time, I had left the hotel to get something to eat. I called the hotel from my cel phone and asked to speak to the manager. The person on the phone said she was the manager, so I told her to release my reservation. She then put me on hold. I waited on hold. And I waited. And then I waited some more. After a good ten minutes, I knew she wasn't going to get back on the phone, so I hung up.

Now, at this point, my only option was to go to another hotel and then still get charged from the Hyatt. Not wanting to spend hours of my time disputing a credit card charge, I sucked it up and went to the Sheraton. Granted, it's a decent hotel, but the normal rate is $99/night, some $40 less than what Hyatt billed me! I ended up paying $10 for internet access, which would have been included at Hyatt, and I was on my own for breakfast. So, I ended up paying a total of $160 (hotel, internet, breakfast) to stay in hotel that would have cost me $99 had the Hyatt not done me the "favor" of booking me into.

Bottom line: these people are deceptive, dishonest, and unprofessional. The level of customer service is pathetic. They're only interested in taking your money and making it difficult for them to release it. AVOID THIS PLACE LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Place Uptown? Share your experiences!