“Close to Interstate, Cat Friendly” 3 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6101 Iliff Rd Northwest, Albuquerque, NM 87121   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #53 of 148 Hotels in Albuquerque
Virginia
“Close to Interstate, Cat Friendly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

My husband and I booked this hotel along our cross-country move because it was cat-friendly and we had both of our kitties in tow. It was very easy to find, with immediate access to the highway which suited us perfectly. The hotel was also only a short drive to the adorable Old Town Albuquerque area, which we enjoyed immensely.

Otherwise, this hotel was pretty average. It'll do for a night. There was a smoky smell in the hallways, as others have noted, but I didn't notice the smell in the room so I was OK with it. Longer stays might have more time to absorb the smoky smell. Yuck.

We didn't do breakfast there, and if you are health-conscious I would suggest that you skip it as well. It's the conventional continental fare, which is never all that healthy. The staff were nice and the parking lot was VERY well-lit, which is important when you have a car loaded full of stuff that could get stolen!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Great dog run area, biscuits at front desk, clean oversized room, breakfast smelled delicious! No complaints....would stay here again. Doggy approved! Close to several Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives restaurants as featured on their show.

Manhattan, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The bed was okay, the bathroom was okay, the breakfast was barely okay, and the value was poor. The staff was nice. I'll try not to stay there again as I know there has to be a better value other places in Albuquerque. They do allow dogs, which I'm sure will be helpful for some travelers.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, NM
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Even though this hotel is conveniently located right off I-40 just as you come into Albuquerque and the staff and lobby appear initially sweet and cozy, but once you look a little closer, its downright scary. The first floor is updated, clean and mostly comfortable even though they allow dogs and smokers on every floor. But the second floor and up are simply gross. They smell like smoking lounges as soon as you get off the elevators, the carpets are disgustingly stained and stinky. Whoever set this hotel up must've been crazy to have "a few" smoking rooms on every floor instead of one designated floor like a logical hotel. I did my laundry on the 3rd floor and my clothes stunk of smoke.

They are supposed to be renovating the hotel so hopefully some of this will improve after the dust settles, but that will not help the lacking customer service by the staff. Although most of the staff were fabulously dedicated and gracious, the manager and morning front desk person are severely lacking. Despite my request to be informed in advance about any major cleaning projects due to my chemical sensitivities, they proceeded to clean all the carpets around my room the day before I was to check out with only 10 minutes notice. When I protested as it became increasingly difficult for me to breathe, the GM told me she had a hotel to run and could not change any of their procedures for my health reasons. Mind you this was their own equipment operated by their maintenance worker, not an outside business so they were in full control. When I put it bluntly that they either stop cleaning or call me an ambulance her response was, "We are not stopping." The maintenance staff even offered to stop after seeing how it was jeopardizing my health, but she insisted they continue, putting my health and safety at signficant risk. I refuse to respect a hotel that does not put any guest's health and life first. Cleaning the carpets in those rooms that day was not essential since their other carpets on the higher floors are disgusting.

Due to their location they have many truckers who come in throughout the night. This is conducted very well and as annoying as I thought it would be, it wasn't. The night staff was excellent, very helpful and considerate. However the morning front desk person, Bianca has the appearance and attitude of a brothel madame who you are annoying with any questions or requests. She is harsh and uninviting. She cuts you off in mid-sentence as if her time is too valuable for your questions or concerns. As the protege of the manager who was willing to undermine my health, it is understanding how rude and unprofessional she is.

Like I said, keep driving...there are plenty of better places to stay in that cul de sac or futher east in Albuquerque.

Room Tip: Only stay on the first floor, the higher ones are unbearable.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Denton, Texas, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We spent the last two nights of our winter vacation here. The staff was very efficient and helpful. They had a great knowledge of the local area. The cleaning staff accommodated us and our dog and went above and beyond. The room was spacious, quite, and well furnished. The bed was extremely comfortable (which has been our experience in ALL the La Quinta's that we have stayed with). The hotel was located a block south of I-40 off Coors Blvd, making it easily accessible and easy to find. It is also located very close to many of Albuquerque's cultural destinations (zoo, art museum, children's museum, Old Town). We booked the room in advance and the nightly price was a great value. The biggest selling point is that dogs stay free. This location offers room service, though we did not try it.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed here one night on a 3-day road trip, and were delighted at how nice this property was. It seemed relatively new (or at least well maintained), was just off the highway but didn't have highway noise, and the room was spacious with a mini-fridge and microwave. Bed was comfy, linens were clean and nice. They seemed to have a dedicated pet floor, so when our dogs barked we didn't feel like we were disturbing others as much. A convenient elevator and interior corridors made it easy for us to get all our stuff to our room and settle in.

The staff at the front desk was super helpful and friendly, made it easy to find food and get it delivered. Would certainly recommend this property and would stay there again if we found ourselves traveling through Albuquerque in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We moved from a neighboring motel into La Quinta after becoming increasingly unhappy with the original. Although the cost was a bit more, La Quinta was exceptional overall and we really appreciated the well-maintained facility and friendly staff. We plan to stay there again on our next family visit to Albuquerque.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Albuquerque West? Share your experiences!