“Rooms 401 and 324 Smell REALLY bad - don't stay in them” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #36 of 146 hotels in Albuquerque
Aransas Pass, Texas
“Rooms 401 and 324 Smell REALLY bad - don't stay in them”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel many times since 2010. All of our stays in the past have been very nice. Our dog travels with us, so it's great that this is a pet friendly hotel. Our last stay was not good. As always, guest services was friendly and helpful...until our last night at the hotel, more about that later. The linens are clean and the sheets are pressed so we are assured there are no live bugs in them. The bellmen are always gracious and do their level best to please. So no complaints there. I arrived on 6-14 and was given room 401. That room is on the pet floor and is at the end of the hallway. We always stay on that floor with our pet, and have never had a problem. Something smelled really bad at that end of the hall that day. And the smell got continuously worse as I walked from the elevator toward that room. Thankfully, the smell was not in the room...yet. I am not talking about a slight smell, or a pet smell, I am talking about something that stunk. The next morning, I spoke to the maid and asked her what the smell was. She said she didn't know. I called the front desk and told them it smelled like something dead in that hallway. The desk clerk sounded shocked, as though no one had ever told her that. I do not believe I am the only person to ever report that smell, and after reading the reviews, I can see that others have smelled it too. The next day the smell was worse. I was out most of the day, and hoped they would have something done about it by the time I arrived back. Nope, it still stunk, and now the stink was coming into the room. My husband said it smelled like their vent to the the plumbing was stopped up. It was awful. They came and sprayed our room with deodorizer. It helped for a little while. I finally walked down the 4 flights (the elevators were both out) to the desk clerk and requested another room. He gave us room 324, at the other end of the hallway on floor 3. The bellman came and helped us with our bags and we took the service elevator to the 3rd floor. He and the first bellman both agreed that there was a pretty bad smell in that hallway. To our amazement, the other end of the hallway stunk too. And room 324 stunk as well, and yes they had to come and spray the room with deodorizer. I don't know what is going on in that hotel, but they have a problem. We will NEVER stay there again. I'm thinking the health department should be notified of this. If it's methane gas that's polluting the hallways and rooms, this could be very serious. Oh, and on a final note, the desk clerk who moved us also up-charged us $20 on the room rate, and did not let us know he was doing so. Thank you for ensuring that this was our last stay at the Sheraton Airport Albuquerque. I rated the service terrible because of him.

Room Tip: Don't stay in rooms near the end of the hallways, they stink!!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Ivan A, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Albuquerque Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
1hairleft,

I would like to apologize for the odor issue during your recent stay. I would also like to extend to you my contact information (ivan.aguilar@sheratonabqairport.com or you can reach me at 505.843.7000). If you have the opportunity I would be interested in some additional information so that we can investigate the conditions you have reported.

Thank you for sharing your experience!

267 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Natick, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Yes I had some minor hiccups (ie. toilet didnt work the first night and my key card didnt work 4 times) but the service and staff were beyond professional. Ive stayed in hundreds of hotels in my lifetime and it was truly obvious that guests come first always. From the consierge to the front desk to the housekeepers...everyone was super curteous and willing to go above and beyond to help. I fell in love with NM and defintely plan on returning to this hotel. Thank you for a great experience!

Room Tip: Get a pool view :) But all rooms are great
Viviana M,

I’m delighted to know that you “fell in love with NM”! New Mexico is truly a special place bursting with culture everywhere you turn. Thank you for acknowledging our courteous and helpful associates. I will make sure to pass on your kind words. We appreciate your understanding regarding the restroom and room keys. I hope this was not too much of an inconvenience. We hope to see you back in New Mexico at the Sheraton Albuquerque Airport Hotel soon.

Bettendorf Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel the night before flying out of the Albuquerque airport. The room was clean and well appointed. Great shower, always a plus.
The front desk staff were helpful. I forgot my toothbrush and was quickly provided a toothbrush with a smile.
The beds were comfortable. It was quiet (always a concern when staying so close to the airport). The airport shuttle was convenient and on time. Staff was courteous. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice hotel near the airport.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Karen C,

I appreciate your awesome description “Great hotel near airport”, because that is what we aim for! I recognize how stressful traveling can become so it’s good to hear that we can alleviate some of that the night before a flight out. Even though you can walk to the airport it’s great to know that the hotel is quiet and our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed provides an awesome nights rest. We hope to see you back at the hotel soon!

Herndon, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

I received a message from the concierge the day before to see if I needed any special help or considerations. The front desk staff was friendly, skilled and efficient -- no long line or delays in check in at all. Shuttle service to the airport was timely. Room was clean. One of the best layouts for business travel I've seen. Plenty of outlets for chargers. Bathroom was immaculate. The room temperature control was wonderful - kept it comfortable. No annoying throw off the covers, pull them back on as you get in so many other hotel rooms.

Brendon B,

Wow! Thank you for your acknowledgment of our associates and services. We are pleased to hear that you have chosen us as your new preferred hotel in Albuquerque. I will pass on your awesome recognition to our concierge, front office, and shuttle associates and we will continue to provide you with stellar service. I’m happy to hear that you found comfort not only in our room amenities, but with the temperature in the room. We are eagerly awaiting your next visit to Albuquerque and thank you for your business!

Lynden, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

The room was OK. The "in house" restaurant was good. But going to your 77 - 85 degree room (with the AC set to "MAX") was not much fun.
The Shuttle service was very good! The pick-up at the airport and the drop-off were right on time. Friendly service.

Room Tip: Unless the AC is fixed/up-graded I'd pick another hotel. The bed was OK, but the "Sleep Qu...
JS,

Thank you for your kind words about our Rojo Grill, shuttle service, and overall friendly service. I would like to apologize for the air conditioning concern you had in your guestroom. I would also like to extend to you my contact information (ivan.aguilar@sheratonabqairport.com or you can reach me at 505.843.7000). If you have the opportunity I would be interested in some additional information so that we can investigate the conditions you have reported. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

My parents and I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Sheraton Albuquerque Airport Hotel on two separate occasions. The staff of this hotel is friendly, and truly caring. The rooms are up to date, quiet, and very comfortable. Thank you for making us so comfortable!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
DollyH,

Thank you for your awesome review of our friendly and caring associates. I will pass on your kind words about their great customer service you experienced during your stay. We hope to see you back soon at the hotel so that we can provide you with another comfortable and relaxing stay.

Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I stayed here for 5 days with my partner: 2 for work and 3 for fun. It's the longest I've ever stayed at a hotel, but since the reviews here were far better than the other Sheraton in Albuquerque I chose this location. I'll get the bad news over with first. The wifi is spotty, slow, and expensive, a terrible combination. I would give this hotel 5 stars if not for the issues I had. I was placed in a corner room at the end of the hallway and the wifi ($21 for 2 days) rarely worked. There's no advantage to being in the corner, as there's no windows on the ends of the hotel and the room was the exact size and shape as a central room. I paid for wifi, but signal was weak and would disappear completely for hours at a time. I had scheduled a skype meeting upon my arrival at the hotel and was forced to cancel it half way through because of issues with the internet connection. The staff were initially resistant to switching my room, instead sending an "engineer" who admitted he was unfamiliar with their system and suggested I call their outside provider. I wasted a half an hour on the phone with them, spoke with a second engineer and had the front desk suggest I call their vendor, again. I eventually moved, after two days, to a room by the elevators and the wireless connection worked fine. The room was identical. When I checked out, I asked if they would pro rate or remove the cost for the first 2 days of wifi, since it didn't work. They offered to remove the fee, but when I saw the email with my final bill, the charge was still included. I emailed and received no response. So, that's the mess that was the internet situation. Otherwise, I really loved the hotel. My partner has a gluten allergy and the room service and restaurant staff were very patient and helpful in finding gluten free foods for her (and identifying items with hidden gluten, like the chile sauces). The green chile stew is really good, I highly recommend it. The lobby and bar were warm and welcoming. It actually felt more like a resort than an airport hotel. Very relaxing. It was never more than 15 minutes to anywhere I wanted to go and the view is gorgeous. The staff were generally very helpful, friendly and kind. They seemed unusually recalcitrant on the wifi issues, but I imagine they're rather sensitive since guests uniformity hate the fact that they're charged for a service most hotels provide for free. I travel to Starwood hotels frequently, and this is a consistent (and shortsighted) policy across the classic, older Sheratons, especially the conference and airport hotels that cater to business travelers. Tourist-oriented hotels, like Aloft and Westin offer it for free. So, overall, I had a good experience...but being charged a fee for service I didn't use, and being forced to spend hours of my vacation dealing with a wifi problem that could have been easily addressed has left a sour taste in my mouth.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
piegirl,

I would like to apologize for your internet concerns during your stay. I would also like to thank you for recognizing the efforts of our associates to accommodate you with your internet concerns and your partner’s gluten allergy. I have to agree with you about the Rojo Grill’s green chili stew it may favorite menu offering. Thank you for your understanding regarding the internet and the overall delightful evaluation of our staff and services. We hope to see you back at the hotel soon.

Ivan Aguilar

Been to Sheraton Albuquerque Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!