“Should be, could be...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town

You added Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town to your Saves list
Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   800 Rio Grande Blvd NW, Albuquerque, NM 87104 (Formerly Sheraton Old Town Hotel)   |
Affiliate website
Special Price
Winter Sale - Save 20%
Ranked #21 of 146 Hotels in Albuquerque
Santa Fe
“Should be, could be...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

We have always loved going to Hotel Albuquerque and have been several times over the past few years. I'm afraid we may have just had our last visit for a while.
First of all, the beds are very uncomfortable. After 3 nights, I came home and had to book an appointment for a massage to get the kinks out of my back and neck. Pillows are bad, too.
We love the pool and, frankly, it, and the location, are why we like to stay here. The pool is long and rather grand with nice gardens and comfortable poolside furniture. Sound relaxing? Think again. They have this music piped in that, while at first seems pleasant, after about 30 minutes, you want to jump in the deep end and not come up! It spoils any chance of serenity.
The restaurant in the hotel is now a Garduno's. This would not be my choice in an upscale hotel. It is a mediocre overpriced Mexican food place. The drink prices are not listed in the cocktail menu. Why? Because the margaritas start at $12 to $14!! That was for the house margarita! I ordered a Mexican Cobb with "crisp romaine and fresh garden greens." The lettuce was warm and wilted. My son ordered a salad and his was the same...warm and wilted. Even the dressing was warm. I had a side of tamales that were really tiny and really cold. My husband ordered chile rellenos. I've never seen such a mess on a plate. They were weird, cold and not edible. The next day we had lunch poolside. Big mistake. We ordered nachos, a burger and a salad plus 2 cocktails and a soft drink. Burger was cold, salad was still warm. We asked for a side of mayonnaise for the burger and it took almost 20 minutes to get it. The burger was gone. The food arrived in styrofoam containers and plastic bags like take-out from the local Chinese place. This is inexcusable presentation for a classy hotel. The bill was $70!!!!
This is a Heritage Hotel and it SHOULD BE much nicer for what you pay. The service is lovely. The lobby and grounds are gorgeous. It is located in charming Old Town which is loaded with great restaurants and shops. I heard on the news last night that they are building their flagship hotel right next door. Maybe when they do that they will spend some money upgrading Hotel Albuquerque...new beds, pillows, flat-screen tv's, a better restaurant, and some trays and appropriate dishes to serve poolside. What this COULD BE is the best hotel in Albuquerque.

Room Tip: The rooms on the north side of the hotel are smaller but have a view of the gorgeous Sandia Mountain...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Molly R, General Manager at Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear Randall B,
Thank you tremendously for taking the time to write such a comprehensive and thorough review of our property. It means the world to us when guests take the time to let us know why our property remains such a wonderful place to stay, while also telling us where we might have some room to improve.
We are certainly apt to agree with you that our service and grounds are unmatched here the city. Great care was put into creating an atmosphere which matches the beauty which our fine state allows.
Please know however that your less than stellar experience at our restaurant is not the status quo. So many of our guests absolutely love their dining experience at Garduno’s and we are so sad to hear that was not your experience.
Should you ever return to Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town, please feel free to reach out to me directly and I will see to it that your time spent here is nothing short of unforgettable. Thank you again for the review and we hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

This was the first hotel that we booked through Jet Setter. Let me offer my kudos for the customer service we received from Jet Setter. We were bumped from a flight and arrived a day late in Albuquerque. Jet Setter contacted the hotel and offered us the same discount while shifting our stay one day later. Thank you! I found the very best part of this hotel to be the swimming pool. It is a full sized, outdoor pool with plenty of chairs and lots of shade. One wouldn't know that on the other side of the fence, there is a parking lot. The garden areas were also a great place to lounge for a drink or a good book. Wifi is free as is parking. We did not eat at the restaurant. There are many restaurants within walking distance, even a Starbucks.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Molly R, General Manager at Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear skr33ch, We love your title “An oasis in the desert!” We are thrilled you enjoyed the swimming pool and our location to many restaurants. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Hotel Albuquerque to demonstrate our excellent quality, services and future improvements to our product. Please contact me directly at 505-222-8744 if I can be of any assistance in the future.
Mexico, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

At a recent conference at Hotel Albuquerque I was so impressed by the friendliness and courtesy of the staff that I made time to seek out the manager and give her the highest compliments on her staff!! Each and every staff member in every area made it clear that I was someone special!! I was greeted with smiles and welcomes, doors were held open, elevators reopened, and they always mAde it clear they were there to assist me in my stay!! The hotel was clean and cared for, food was great, and my stay was the best yet at Hotel Albuquerque! At front desk Dominic was so helpful and Vic at Gardunos was a master and so friendly!

Room Tip: Ask for a mini fridge
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Anna P B, Thank you for coming to Hotel Albuquerque for your conference. We truly value your comments about our staff and specifically recognizing Dominic and Vic! We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Hotel Albuquerque to demonstrate our excellent quality, services and future improvements to our product. Please contact me directly at 505-222-8744 if I can be of any assistance in the future.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Public areas are nice and good place for meetings. Rooms (201) leave something to be desired. The carpet is very old and pulling away from the wall. Large stains on ceiling from water damage. Rooms don't block outside noise from the hall or from people outside partying. Sorry to sound like a stick in the mud but this place needs some help. Staff was good but repairs and upkeep are needed.

Stayed July 2014
Dear Lee K, Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your recent stay. We understand the importance of a clean and quiet guestroom. Service and cleanliness are our top priorities and we have addressed these issues to improve our product and service for future travelers. Thank you once more for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you to Hotel Albuquerque to demonstrate our excellent quality, services and future improvements to our product. If I can ever be of assistance, please contact me directly at 505-222-8744.
Orem, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I wish I knew her name, but there was a very kind middle-aged woman who helped me check in at the front desk. She was incredible. I had never been to Albuquerque before, and she had a lot of great tips on how to make my stay enjoyable. She was very courteous. She shared with me things that I didn't realize would be helpful until after I had heard them. I also received great service from the rest of the staff there. I was very impressed with the people working there.

The rooms and bathrooms were not quite as big as I would have hoped, but the excellent service far outweighs any complaints I had.

I also really liked the New Mexican ambiance throughout the entire hotel. Very well done!

I also liked that I was within short walking distance to three museums: the national history museum, art museum, and the Explora science museum.

Room Tip: I enjoyed being able to see the mountains from my room. If you like seeing mountains in the distance...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Stephen A. Thank you for staying at Hotel Albuquerque! We appreciate you recognizing one of our staff members at the front desk. We also appreciate your comments about our location, New Mexican ambiance and excellent service. Thank you once more for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Hotel Albuquerque. Please contact me directly at 505-222-8744 if I can be of any assistance in the future.
Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

The hotel was a little dated but clean. The hotel is very large and a nice hotel. The room is just a little dated with small double beds and old TV's. The location is great as you can walk to old town and shop and eat. The guy at check in was really nice. I would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Kyprincess, Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback about your stay. We are so pleased you had a good stay. We appreciate your comments on our staff, location and cleanliness. Thank you once more for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Hotel Albuquerque to demonstrate our excellent quality, services and future improvements to our product. Please contact me directly at 505-222-8744 if I can be of any assistance in the future.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Hotel Albuquerque has to be in one of the best locations in Albuquerque. this hotel is next to old town and the museum district. walking to these locations is very easy. there are many many restaurants close by also.
the lobby is great. there is a large restaurant on site with both indoor and outdoor seating. the outdoor pool is large with many seating areas.
no charge for parking. a definite plus and many restaurants of this class tend to charge. free wifi also.
the room is nice though I would have preferred a king or queen bed. why they have double beds is beyond me, but the beds look wonderful. do they have somebody ironing the sheets? this was my first thought. very nice!
the bathroom is a bit small but the shower has great water pressure. Aveda products are placed in the bathroom. again nice!
the rooms overlooking old town have balconies. I was on the other side of the building. initially I was a bit upset about this, but when I walked to the window I had a great view of the mountains. I left the curtain open so that I was waken up with the sunrise. orange & pink & yellow reflecting off the clouds behind the purple mountains. gorgeous.
I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a king bed and with a mountain view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear michaelluna, Thank you for the review and for recommending Hotel Albuquerque. We appreciate your comments on our complimentary Wi-Fi, great location, lobby, restaurant and iron sheets! We are so glad you enjoyed the beautiful view. Thank you once more for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back in the future. Please contact me directly at 505-222-8744 if I can be of any assistance.

Been to Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town? Share your experiences!