“Lovely Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town

Save Saved
You added Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town to your Saves list
Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   800 Rio Grande Blvd NW, Albuquerque, NM 87104 (Formerly Sheraton Old Town Hotel)   |
Affiliate website
Special Deal
Receive $25 Food Credit
Ranked #24 of 146 Hotels in Albuquerque
Los Angeles, CA
“Lovely Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I just returned from a weekend at this hotel. It's a wonderful historic hotel that really cares about their guests. The staff was great, very helpful and full of personality. The rooms are good, nothing great but very clean and that's most important. It would help if they updated the tv's but hopefully that will come soon. The bathroom had a good amount of towels and Aveda products. I would have liked to have seen maybe a travel size bottle of mouthwash as well as a shower cap supplied but my guess is if I asked for it, they would have gotten it for me. Ate at the restaurant in the Lobby for lunch and the food was good. I thought the service was a tad slow seeing that there were only a few other tables taken at the time but then again, we were in a rush and the waiter was very nice so I can't fault them for that :-) The Bar is the hot spot in town and when we returned to the hotel very late Friday evening/early Saturday, the police were there apparently breaking up a fight. Unfortunately it was the same thing on Saturday night/Sunday morning. But that to me is not the hotel's fault. If anything, I was impressed how the staff was handling the disruption...very professional.

The location is a few blocks from Old Town (walkable) and that is a great place to spend a day.

All told, I would definitely stay there again on my next trip.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
RI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We've returned to this hotel on vacation having stayed here under different management for business. We were concerned that the place would be the same. We needn't have worried; if anything, it is better than before. The staff was superb. We agree with other reviewers' comments about employees liking their jobs, each other and their guests. The restaurant was excellent (with delicious Rocky Mountain Rainbow trout at breakfast!) and catered to individual needs, including ours on the morning that we left. It is in the process of converting to a good traditional New Mexican restaurant that we have enjoyed eating at before.

It was quiet at night, even when there was a large conference of teenagers staying at the hotel. And the location, close to Old Town, many museums, and the interstate, was so perfect that we stayed here at the beginning and end of our trip.

Room Tip: Rooms either have a mountain view which frequently include hot air balloon views in the morning or a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I liked this hotel. It was beautiful for the most part, friendly, convenient to everything in old town, and a great value for the money. So what is it that I cannot put my finger on??
When I did my research, as you are doing now, they kept saying they are a landmark old hotel. All their website photos confirm this to be the case. Yet, look at Google Maps and street view. Satellite view is a hotel in the middle of a parking lot (1960’s suburban planning) and all you see from street view is a 1970’s mid-rise.
Now that I have been there and back, I am as I said, pleased, and would recommend it for your stay. You enter the old lobby (one you see in all the photos) and go through a dog-leg into a new portion below a high rise, that in my case took us to the 10th floor. The room was nice with a balcony that faced south overlooking old town, and even new town beyond. The crowd was mixed, half tourist, and half business attire, because this is first and foremost a convention hotel, but without all the zippy feel of a traditional convention center.
I looked up landmark status buildings in ABQ and it is not listed. I checked on line and you can get back to them formerly saying it is in a landmark location. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh. That would explain as an architect, why I could not find any signs of stress in the structure, petina to the finishes, and the proportions so unlike say the lobby of the Andaluz (downtown ABQ) or other 1930’s hotels you might want to emulate. I believe there is a bit of a con here, and if I am wrong, I am sure the following announcement from the management will set the record straight:

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Arlington, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I've had the chance to stay at this hotel twice and will return again for another business trip. The hotel is in a great location, easy to get to from the airport. The rooms are very clean and well furnished. The Aveda products in the room are fantastic! Last time I was there they were re-doing the restaurant which is a limited menu with only new mexico cuisine which gets old of you are too busy to get out of the hotel. The staff is friendly and helpful. I recommend this hotel for both business and personal trips to the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Gretchen G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear jmktravelsalot, Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us at Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay on business trips in the past. Our location is one of the most appreciated aspects of our hotel. It is convenient to the airport as well as to the historic Old Town and the interstate is only two minutes from our property. We strive to provide a clean and stylish environment and are thrilled to know you appreciated the Aveda products we provide. Thank you once more for your review. We are looking forward to you staying with us again at Hotel Albuquerque either on the business or leisure.
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I spent three nights here on business (my first visit), and have rarely felt more welcomed. Most hotels train their staff to say hello to guests. In this hotel, I had brief genuine conversations with the maid, room service waiter, and even maintenance staff, who could not have been more friendly. You can't train that. The service in the hotel is excellent. I had two breakfasts that were both terrific (one in room and one in restaurant). The Q-Bar is a fun spot for a drink and, for dancers, a salsa lesson. The facility is nice overall, with southwestern art and furnishings in both common areas and guest rooms, which are well-kept, and there's free WIFI throughout. (The only negative is that lobby furniture needs to be replaced.) It's also a short walk to plenty of good restaurants, shops and museums in Old Town.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor -- better view of the mountains.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Gretchen G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Beachbumsfrompa, Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town during your time in Albuquerque. We are thrilled that your experience was wonderful and that our staff was some of the friendliest you have encountered. Our Q-Bar is a great spot to enjoy a drink while taking in some salsa lessons. We pride ourselves in presenting the southwestern décor in a proper and well-kept manner and are happy that you enjoyed the property overall. Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We hope to welcome you back to Hotel Albuquerque at old Town again for a second, third and fourth visit.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I was here for a conference and then leisure time. All staff were wonderful and seemed to like their job and each other. The location is great to visit old Town and 2 good museums. Pueblo Cultural Center is a mile away. Bus to downtown on old route 66 runs every 20 mins. and cost $1. Food in the Playa cafe was good and reasonably priced. Some rooms have balconies and you can request a fridge. WIFI is free. Would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: One side has all rooms with balconies if you like that option. I think those are odd numbered rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HHandR, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear BostonKerry352, we appreciate your time in reviewing your stay with us. It is always great to have leisure time while attending a conference. We are certainly glad you were able to enjoy Hotel Albuquerque and the surrounding areas. Our location is incredibly convenient to Old Town and with the added convenience of the near bus stop, adventure is not far away. We strive to provide all the necessary items like free WiFi, fridges and even balconies to accommodate guest’s needs. Thank you once more for your review. We hope to see you again, whether for another conference or more leisure time.
Jackson, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

This hotel is in easy walking distance to Old Town. Hotel staff was friendly and efficient - they emptied a box of copy paper to help get my yard art back home:) Comfortable beds - would definitely return. Stayed here for conference - food, wait staff, everything was positive experieince.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Gretchen G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Coonie_72, We appreciate your time in reviewing us and we are so happy to hear that you enjoyed our fantastic location, and our friendly and helpful staff. Guests do enjoy our comfortable beds and deluxe accommodations. We look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay here at Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town and the pool and hot tub are local favorites all summer long.

Been to Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town? Share your experiences!