“Cafe Plazuela in Hotel Albuquerque” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town

You added Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town to your Saves list
Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   800 Rio Grande Blvd NW, Albuquerque, NM 87104 (Formerly Sheraton Old Town Hotel)   |
Affiliate website
Special Deal
Breakfast in Old Town
Ranked #14 of 147 Hotels in Albuquerque
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Cafe Plazuela in Hotel Albuquerque”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We were married in this hotel in 2010, and we'd highly recommend it. We come into the Cafe Plazuela at least once quarterly to have a delicious meal, at a great price, with fantastic service. 90% of the time Leo Martinez is our server. He is warm, welcoming and very attentive. We leave the restaurant feeling like we've visited with family. The Archuletta's

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Max M, Manager at Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Hotel Albuquerque is one of the most elegant wedding venues in the Albuquerque area and we are delighted that we could share in your special day. Café Plazuela is a favorite among travelers and locals alike and we are so glad to hear that you enjoy dining with us regularly. Our exceptional staff is always ready to please, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
Goleta, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I called on Sunday February 8th around 8 pm to make a reservation. I told the gentleman who answered the phone that I wished to make a reservation and he put me through to an extension which rang a few times, and then a recording announced that the Reservations Office was closed for the evening. What kind of hotel won't let you make a phone reservation at 8 o'clock at night?

I called back on Monday February 11th at 8:15 pm and was put on hold. I waited five minutes and no one came back to pick up the phone. I hung up and called again and this time I asked the gentleman named Drakkar (spelling?) who answered the phone, "Is the Reservations Department open?" (I vaguely remembered from the recording that the week day and weekend hours of that office were different.) Instead of telling me that in fact the Reservations Office closed at 8 p.m., Drakkar simply put me through to the recording again. (I guess if I had listened better to the recording the first time I would have remembered they close at 8 pm.)

I called back a third time and asked Drakkar if I could speak with his supervisor and he told me his supervisor was not there, and that he was was sorry but he was busy helping a guest. I can certainly understand that but all he needed to do was tell me in the beginning that the Reservations Office closes at 8 pm and then asked me whether or not I'd like their voice mail to leave a message.

Based on the reviews I might find it to be a nice hotel if I can ever get through to make a reservation lol. I would make the reservation online but I'd like to inquire about an AAA discount and I did not see that online.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
HHandR, General Manager at Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
We are grateful for your response, and are just as welcoming when it comes to assessment of our customer service. Please allow me to apologize that you were unable to make a reservation easily, and we will definitely take your comment to heart and address this immediately. We hope that your next reservation will be an easy and efficient experience, and we hope to have the opportunity accommodate you with our excellent service during your visit. Thank you again for providing us with your feedback.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

If you have a brain in your head you will steer clear of this hotel. The staff was so unprofessional to the point that I'm actually in shock at some of the comments that were made in front of customers. This place is overpriced, especially considering the subpar accommodations and rooms that are not very clean. If you want to be treated like a criminal in a third world country, this place is for you. Otherwise you're probably better off at a Holiday Inn or even Motel 6.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
HHandR, Manager at Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
It is always helpful for us to hear guests feedback and we do get so many positive comments regarding our customer service, so please know that this is certainly not the norm. We do apologize that we were not able to meet your expectations and please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss anything further. We sincerely hope that you will stay with us at Hotel Albuquerque again in the future. Max Mazzola
Flint, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

You really cannot pick a better location in Albuquerque - right next to Old Town and some nice restaurants. (There is a Best Western across the street, BTW.)

The lobby was immaculate. Nearly every time I walked through, someone was polishing the floors, cleaning the light fixtures, dusting, cleaning the lobby restrooms, etc. I stayed for 6 nights and at least once ever single day I saw someone cleaning the lobby. The polished brick floors absolutely gleam!

Room housekeeping, however, was very odd. Day one, we had a full compliment of toiletries, towels, coffee service, and water glasses. Day two, whatever we had used on day one disappeared, and there was a stack of handtowels left atop the toilet. Day three, we were left with one washcloth, two handtowels, three bath towels, and no toiletries. I called the front desk to have shampoo, etc. delivered. Day four - no cups of any kind, one washcloth, one hand towel, one bath towel. This time, I went down to the front desk to complain. They gave me a coupon for $15 off my breakfast, and the next day, we got a full compliment of towels and toiletries. But, on the last day, guess what? One washcloth, two handtowels, three bathtowels. No coffee packets. I was tired of complaining, so just gave up!

About mid-week, my friend dropped a piece of jewelry on the floor. When I looked for it, I realized the carpet was absolutely filthy, including someone else's earring back, some popcorn (we did not have popcorn), etc.

This hotel has a great location and is very proud of the lobby. But they need to train housekeeping staff better, and not be so stingy with shampoo, drinking glasses, and coffee packets.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Max M, Manager at Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
We appreciate your time in writing this review and are glad to hear that you enjoyed our location and our magnificent lobby. I did have the joy of reading this review to our lobby attendants and watching their smiles grow as you spoke so highly of their efforts and attention to detail. Please note that we do pride ourselves on providing excellent housekeeping throughout the hotel and further training with our staff is currently in progress. We are happy that you enjoyed the Old Town area as well, and hope to welcome you back for a future stay. Max Mazzola
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I was at Hotel Albuquerque in 2011 and loved my stay. I was there on business and found the accomodation very comfortable and had pretty much everything I wanted. The fitness room was a bit small and underequipped and the meals were pretty expensive, but it was a great base to travel out and about.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
It sounds like you are due for a return trip? We are in the process of expanding our restaurant and are looking to improving our fitness center as well. The hotels Old Town location is a perfect starting point on foot or a day trip with all that Albuquerque has to offer. We would relish the opportunity to repeat and exceed our previous performance on your next trip to New Mexico. Max Mazzola
Milton WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is the right place to stay to be handy to Old Town, with free parking, no less. The room is nicely sized, the bathroom is great and the staff is very helpful. My husband is fussy, and he was more than pleased. To be a block from Old Town was key, and everything else worked out well. We drove aroun Albuquerque as well, and the hotel is also centrally and easily located. The price was fair and everything else was great!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for selecting Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town and we appreciate your time in writing this review. Providing comfortable rooms and friendly staff to every guest is our highest priority and we are pleased that you heartily enjoyed your stay. Our guests do love strolling next door to Old Town or planning day-trips in any direction. We look forward to your next visit with us to enjoy the best that Albuquerque has to offer. Max Mazzola
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

This is our second stay at Hotel Albuquerque and we would continue to recommend it as a great place to stay, especially for travelers looking for a super local alternative - one with great local charm and with an excellent place to eat - to chain hotels. The room was comfortable, well-equipped and reasonable. We had breakfast in the Cafe Plazuela and found it to be a wonderful surprise for breakfast (the only meals we had there) - delicious food with fresh fruit, and lots of it per serving, with courteous, timely and professional service.

Room Tip: Get one high up with a view of the mountains.